PDA
View Full Version :

Plamsa Cutter Project

ISKI
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Have a friend at work who is making some cabinet doors and frames. He wanted a dowel Jig to keep the drill located and square. He convinced me to make a jig with 3/8 inch dowel holes (which I questioned about the large dowels) so I did. Next day he says oops, the holes need to be 5/16th inch which is what I made next. Used the Plasma cutter to cut the 1 inch x 1.5 inch stock and an angle grinder to clean up the ends. Next I milled it down to 3/4 inch and drilled two 5/16 inch holes.

Gadget
11-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice little tool.

KHK
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Looks like it will do the job!!

strube1369
11-14-2010, 09:04 PM
And as a bonus, that little jig once again justifies having all those tools! Love that kinda project...

ISKI
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Strube, your so right. I only needed a 3000lb Knee mill (with end-mill / drill bits / vice / DRO), an 80 Amp Plasma cutter, Dial Caliper, 80 inch x 6 inch belt sander, and misc hand tools. Add in several hours of hem-in and haw-in and I have two holes in a block of tool steel;) I gave it to him today at work, and he likes it. The nice part is that the holes are perpendicular and within 0.0002 inches of target. The sad part is that the holes could be anywhere that is not too close to the edge.

strube1369
11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Strube, your so right. I only needed a 3000lb Knee mill (with end-mill / drill bits / vice / DRO), an 80 Amp Plasma cutter, Dial Caliper, 80 inch x 6 inch belt sander, and misc hand tools. Add in several hours of hem-in and haw-in and I have two holes in a block of tool steel;) I gave it to him today at work, and he likes it. The nice part is that the holes are perpendicular and within 0.0002 inches of target. The sad part is that the holes could be anywhere that is not too close to the edge.

Oh, so ya didn't actually need all the tools then, huh?:wink: Most important part: he likes it!

ISKI
11-17-2010, 06:52 AM
A less crazy person would have purchase a piece of 3/4 inch stock cut to the correct length and drilled two holes.

A more sane person would have gone to Home Depot and purchased an adjustable jig for less than the cost of the 3/4 inch bar and finished the cabinets in the time it took to mill the bar down.

A sane person would have walked by the cabinet door display at Home Depot and just put some in his shopping cart;)

Actutally, I don't have enough tools, and may end up on one of the tool hoader episodes soon;)

strube1369
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
A less crazy person would have purchase a piece of 3/4 inch stock cut to the correct length and drilled two holes.

A more sane person would have gone to Home Depot and purchased an adjustable jig for less than the cost of the 3/4 inch bar and finished the cabinets in the time it took to mill the bar down.

A sane person would have walked by the cabinet door display at Home Depot and just put some in his shopping cart;)

Actutally, I don't have enough tools, and may end up on one of the tool hoader episodes soon;)

What the heck does sanity have to do with tools? I still have a ton of woodworking tools including tablesaw (big Grizzly), wood lathe, several routers, planer, jointer, etc. and I think I cut a 2/4 in half just a year or so ago... I am strictly into the hot metal now but them tools is staying!

ISKI
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Strube, when I got divorced, (wife on her 5th boyfriend), I had the dream wood working shop. Having no place to go and friends who make furniture with less equipment, I gave it all away. Several years latter, and my basement is once again full I have 5 table saws, two radial arm saws three band saws two belt sanders three shapers, four drill presses,.... The only tool I don't have that would be nice is a planer. I gave my old one to my brother, so I could always borrow it, but we both know that I'll buy one to save the trip;)

strube1369
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Strube, when I got divorced, (wife on her 5th boyfriend), I had the dream wood working shop. Having no place to go and friends who make furniture with less equipment, I gave it all away. Several years latter, and my basement is once again full I have 5 table saws, two radial arm saws three band saws two belt sanders three shapers, four drill presses,.... The only tool I don't have that would be nice is a planer. I gave my old one to my brother, so I could always borrow it, but we both know that I'll buy one to save the trip;)

Ya got me beat! I am impressed. Now go get that planer. I like my little delta. Well, a couple years ago, the last time I used it, I liked it...

samsberr
11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Why not just combine the two...
It's 6' tall
I built it for my better half's YOGA Studio.

ISKI
11-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Samsberr, very nice. I only have room to store my tools. In order to use them I have to move the others. So my plan is to buy a garage some day and put a small house next to it.

UnfinishedProjects
12-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice work. That's a clean tool that should do the trick.

arandall
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=ISKI;20603]Samsberr, very nice. I only have room to store my tools. In order to use them I have to move the others.

I get it! - That's why most of my tools are on wheels.