PDA
View Full Version :

Tunneling Aluminum Boat

Lonewolf9029
10-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey guys-gonna tray and post some pictures of my latest project. took a little longer due to wind blowing my purge. Don

Gadget
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Looks like a neat project. I couldn't quite get a mental idea of what it looks like when finished, perhaps a side shot might help. Did you open a tunnel in the bottom of the boat to clear a shorter shaft motor?
Dan

Lonewolf9029
10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Dan: there wasn't any tunnel at all in this boat. I priced dry hull and all were around $4k. I had a 1/2 sheet of 5052 (0.125") and you know a welders mentality. Took a grinder cut the bottom out of the boat. A little layout work, had the aluminum broke, fit it in and 4lbs of 1/8"--5356--WaaLaa! She ought to run shallow now. Enough to get me in trouble! Don

Lonewolf9029
10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
1266Dan: Completed side shot. Don

KHK
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
I like the welder's mentality!! Looks Great!! Thanks for sharing.

Gadget
10-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Don,
So you raised the motor for shallow water running right? A good idea, does it perform well that way?
Dan

arandall
10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Neat project lonewolf.

Cheers,
Art R.

Lonewolf9029
10-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes Dan. before it needed approx. 14" of water to run in. Which is not shallow at all when you're used to running an airboat which will run on dry ground(another SS project I did earlier this year). So I raised the transom up 14" and replaced the flat bottom with a tunnel. With the hydralic jack plate, if it's rigged right, I can raise the motor up an additional 5" while I'm running. That helps tremendously on the Gulf Coast especially in the winter. Tides are alot shallower when the wind is out of the north
I just looked at the project as a challenge (also a money saver) and got started. There's nothing we can't do with knowledge and drive. Don

Gadget
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Very creative Don great project. Thanks for sharing.

samsberr
11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Don...
Why dont you use a pump instead of that prop?

Lonewolf9029
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Samsberr: I guess that would be simple to answer. I have the Yamaha and I have no experience what-so-ever with the jet pump drive. I have since sold that boat and bought another Tracker "grizzly" 1754 to rig out and run. Basically, most of my welding projects are shut down till after duck season ends. I have a 50ton wrecker coming in that needs extensive repairs. Will be running 190,000-18 on all the cracks after they're eradicated. Gravy job with a good payoff! Don

samsberr
11-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Samsberr: I guess that would be simple to answer. I have the Yamaha and I have no experience what-so-ever with the jet pump drive. I have since sold that boat and bought another Tracker "grizzly" 1754 to rig out and run. Basically, most of my welding projects are shut down till after duck season ends. I have a 50ton wrecker coming in that needs extensive repairs. Will be running 190,000-18 on all the cracks after they're eradicated. Gravy job with a good payoff! Don

Don:
I love those gravy jobs...I just dont get enough of them...
When you start workin over that grizzly and have any questions or interest in tunnel hulls and jet pumps send me a PM and I'll get ya some measurements off my tunnel, if ya don't shape them just right they can cause a vacuum and pull the stern down more so than if you didn't have one. They were originally designed so that you could tuck the pump shoe up a couple inches higher so you wouldn't knock it off with a rock...
with the tunnel and pump on my Wooldridge when on step I can skip over 3" of water and not worry about much damage from a rock...

Lonewolf9029
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Samsberr: sorry about the delay in my response. Been down on the Bernard river finishing up the first 1/2 of duck season. Don't have a computer setup at my place. I don't know much about jet drives and don't see many of them along the Texas Gulf Coast. Maybe up river where they do a bunch of water skiing. That looks like a good job on the jet tunnel. Very tight knit. I don't plan on doing any modifications on the tracker "Grizzly". Just my fishing boat, with lots of open boat. For the super low tides, this time of year, I put this boat together back earlier this year. It will run completely dry across the prarie (enough to get you in trouble). It's built of all aluminum and stainless due to the saltwater application. Don

KHK
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Looks good!! How much horse power?

Lonewolf9029
12-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Keith: she's pushing 450 hsp out of a 350 Chevy. Not stock at all. 2.68-1 Reduction gear with an 81" 3 bld Sensenich "R" series prop. Has more power than I imagined due to the reduction allowing the engine to reach into it's hsp/torque curve. I had fun building it, especially not sure of what I was doing. I think I work better in a "trail and error" setting! I have pics of the total build if anyones interested. Don

KHK
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Yes we like pictures, please post..

Lonewolf9029
12-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Keith: starting a new Post-Airboat Build/pics Don

samsberr
12-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Keith: she's pushing 450 hsp out of a 350 Chevy. Not stock at all. 2.68-1 Reduction gear with an 81" 3 bld Sensenich "R" series prop. Has more power than I imagined due to the reduction allowing the engine to reach into it's hsp/torque curve. I had fun building it, especially not sure of what I was doing. I think I work better in a "trail and error" setting! I have pics of the total build if anyones interested. Don

Love to see some of those pics...
Don't see any air boats in these parts...
Probably cause they dont handle 4-6ft swells in the Columbia River
and would have a tough time in Class 3-5 Rapids...
But ever since I was a kid watching the old show (Gentle Ben) Ive wanted to play with one...
Hope that Don't age me to much...
Probably Why you don't see any jet pumps down your way...
There made for shorter runs, Rough shallow rivers and I think the sand would eat the liners up perty quick.
Besides there not that efficient. You only get 70% power at the pump...
Thats why I push my 20ft with a 150hp Yamaha 2-stroke...Wished I had a 225...
But You always want more power...

NUFF Said...