PDA
View Full Version :

Pilot Arc Thumb Screw.

Bluesman
08-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Trying to take the thumb screw off so I can hook up the tig torch and I can't get it to release. It will turn but instead of the thumb screw coming loose it feels like the stud is unscrewing from inside the machine. Now, I know the obvious answer is to take the cover off and see if I can hold the stud tight while I try to get the thumb screw off BUT I don't want to do that if it voids my warranty or something plus I don't know if I will even be able to reach the stud when I take the cover off. What I was wondering is if anyone else had experienced this and what did they do to rectify the problem? It is in noway the fault of the machine because it has been coming on and off rather easily until now, I guess I may have over tightened it or something when i hooked the plasma torch up awhile ago.

Bluesman
08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Got it figured out. Took a little redneck enginuity but we got it worked out. See, what happened was, the pilot screw stud had worked a little loose and would turn rather than letting the thumb screw unwind the whole friggin thing would turn. Well, what you would need to do would be hold the stud still and then turn the thumb screw, that didn't work well UNTIL, we decided to take a screw driver and hold a little pressure against it using the screw that is mounted just above it. Worked like a charm. Once we got the thumb screw off we proceeded to tighten the stud and have not had the problem again.

Everyone makes fun of a redneck, till their car breaks down, then they are a redneck's best friend.

that is all.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Got it figured out. Took a little redneck enginuity but we got it worked out. See, what happened was, the pilot screw stud had worked a little loose and would turn rather than letting the thumb screw unwind the whole friggin thing would turn. Well, what you would need to do would be hold the stud still and then turn the thumb screw, that didn't work well UNTIL, we decided to take a screw driver and hold a little pressure against it using the screw that is mounted just above it. Worked like a charm. Once we got the thumb screw off we proceeded to tighten the stud and have not had the problem again.

Everyone makes fun of a redneck, till their car breaks down, then they are a redneck's best friend.

that is all.

cue the banjo music please.

KHK
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Heck, almost all welders are rednecks!!! In fact I have a redneck from working in the yard.

SICFabrications
08-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Heck, almost all welders are rednecks!!! In fact I have a redneck from working in the yard.

and now you know......the rest of the story

i miss paul harvey...just sayin