PDA
View Full Version :

Harvested My Hops - It's Time To Do Some Brewing

weldingtwopotatoes
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I harvested my hops; this is their 3rd year so I actually got a good crop. Did a brew last night to use up left over ingredients itís a cross between an IPA (more like a double or triple IPA) and a Barley Wine. Tasted the wort (unfermented beer) after the boil and wow those hops carry a punch, nothing like fresh home grown.

This week I'm going to be picking up more malt and stuff as I usually do 3 or 4 brews for the fall. Any other home brewers on here? I almost have my new brew rig built, I've been side tracked from my CNC to get it built but almost done and then back to the CNC.

Bluesman
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I would love to do home brew. I've thought about getting one of those brew kits that are commercially available. Do you have a commercially available one or did you build your own equipment?

weldingtwopotatoes
08-29-2010, 08:33 PM
There are two starter types of systems offered commercially. There is the Mr. Beer type kit that is often sold at department stores and such and that's what I started with about 8 years ago but I don't recommend using that type of system, results are usually poor and for about the same money there is a much better way.

Any local home brew store will have a starter kit for about $100 like this Personal Home Brewery #1 - Standard | MoreBeer (http://morebeer.com/view_product/15909/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_%231_-_Standard) . This is the basic equipment needed minus ingredients and a stock pot to boil in. You need a stock pot as close to 5 gallons as possible, you can make do with smaller but it's not the best. Turkey fryers work very well and usually come with a 5 gallon pot.

This type of brewing is called "extract" brewing which means you’re going to use malt extract in the form of a thick liquid that looks like molasses or a dry powder. This has eliminated the step of extracting the sugars from barley and makes home brewing easier.

I recommend starting with a kit from a local home brew store or a starter kit from any of the online brewing sources. The next step is to move on to all grain brewing which means your doing everything just like a brewery, just in smaller quantities. This is were I am at now and why I am building a new stand. All grain brewing is much more time consuming and requires more equipment but it also gives you complete control over your brew. All grain brewing is not required by any means and many home brewers don't go there and just stick with extract brewing. Extract brewing still gives you a lot of control over your brew, isn't expensive and is the best place to start for the beginner. In addition with extract brewing you can do a partial mash which means you work with a small amount of whole grains in addition to the extract which give you more control of the flavor of your beer without having the extra work of going all grain.

whitescout
08-30-2010, 05:44 AM
What kind of hops are they? I usually make IPAs.

I started out with extract(DME), and moved to all grain pretty quickly. I picked up some 16 gallon kegs and use them for my all grain setup. I am in the middle of converting to an all electric system with PIDs, and SSRs

Bluesman
08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
There are two starter types of systems offered commercially. There is the Mr. Beer type kit that is often sold at department stores and such and that's what I started with about 8 years ago but I don't recommend using that type of system, results are usually poor and for about the same money there is a much better way.

Any local home brew store will have a starter kit for about $100 like this Personal Home Brewery #1 - Standard | MoreBeer (http://morebeer.com/view_product/15909/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_%231_-_Standard) . This is the basic equipment needed minus ingredients and a stock pot to boil in. You need a stock pot as close to 5 gallons as possible, you can make do with smaller but it's not the best. Turkey fryers work very well and usually come with a 5 gallon pot.

This type of brewing is called "extract" brewing which means you’re going to use malt extract in the form of a thick liquid that looks like molasses or a dry powder. This has eliminated the step of extracting the sugars from barley and makes home brewing easier.

I recommend starting with a kit from a local home brew store or a starter kit from any of the online brewing sources. The next step is to move on to all grain brewing which means your doing everything just like a brewery, just in smaller quantities. This is were I am at now and why I am building a new stand. All grain brewing is much more time consuming and requires more equipment but it also gives you complete control over your brew. All grain brewing is not required by any means and many home brewers don't go there and just stick with extract brewing. Extract brewing still gives you a lot of control over your brew, isn't expensive and is the best place to start for the beginner. In addition with extract brewing you can do a partial mash which means you work with a small amount of whole grains in addition to the extract which give you more control of the flavor of your beer without having the extra work of going all grain.
I don't think we have a home brew store around here... This is So. Mississippi dude, we have illegal whiskey stills in the woods ran by the local board of supervisors and watered down beer in the stores (6% or less alcohol content is all that is legal to sell here)... This place still has areas (counties) that still enforce prohibition... No lie, Jones county and Greene County for example, are "dry" counties... BUT, you can buy beer and consume it WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS of Laurel, which is IN Jones County, but if you go across the city limits you will be nailed by the sheriff's deputies for possession, consumption, etc.

My county is a wet county BUT they still have limitations on what hours of the day you can purchase and Sundays have their own hours (which generally are different store to store)...

I think they make the rules up as they go along.

matteh99
08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
My brother inlaw has made some beer and hard cider. Some of it turned out ok other stuff was pretty bad. My brother also tried hard cider but didn't dare to drink his creation. :)

SICFabrications
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think we have a home brew store around here... This is So. Mississippi dude, we have illegal whiskey stills in the woods ran by the local board of supervisors and watered down beer in the stores (6% or less alcohol content is all that is legal to sell here)... This place still has areas (counties) that still enforce prohibition... No lie, Jones county and Greene County for example, are "dry" counties... BUT, you can buy beer and consume it WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS of Laurel, which is IN Jones County, but if you go across the city limits you will be nailed by the sheriff's deputies for possession, consumption, etc.

My county is a wet county BUT they still have limitations on what hours of the day you can purchase and Sundays have their own hours (which generally are different store to store)...

I think they make the rules up as they go along.

its arkansas here..... i thought you were talking about around here, til i re-read your post stating south mississippi.... leave little rock and head north, its dry all the way to the state line.... unless you check out uncle eddie's still, so i'm trackin, bluesman

Bluesman
08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I wish I had a home brewed pint to raise right now.

whitescout
08-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I just posted a few pictures of some of my brewing equipment. I am in the middle of switching from propane fired burners to an all electric system. hope you enjoy them, even though they are crappy pictures ;)

weldingtwopotatoes
08-31-2010, 01:35 AM
For those that don't have brew shops around and want to try home brewing, there are several great online and catalog home brew shops here are a few links. http://www.morebeer.com (http://www.morebeer.com/), http://www.williamsbrewing.com (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/) and http://www.midwestsupplies.com (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/). I've used More Beer and Williams Brewing and have had great results. Never used Midwest but I've heard good things. More Beer ships most things free if you spend $60 or more, which helps on the cost.

whitescout: I like what I can see of your setup, did you weld the fittings into your keggles yourself?

I'm working on a Brutus 10 style rack clone minus the automation, once I get it done I'll get some pics up. Lastly a picture of the harvest.

whitescout
08-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Yes, I welded the stainless steel bushings to the keg, and then just plumbed the rest. The old stand, ( as well as the new one), was/is made from scrap from work.

ISKI
09-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Dang you guys can buy beer on Sundays? Up here in Connect the dots its considered a sin against the almighty himself, and so we have these blue laws.
Anyway if I wasn't working 80-100 hours a week for 40 hours pay, and my Cobra was done, (kills me I keep getting pulled away), then I'd be planting the hops too. Here in the great tax you to death state, they would most likey want to tax me 100% for the ingredients just like they do on beer so Id have to grow them to be able to afford to get drunk.

torqueman
09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Looks good. Wine is easier but home made beer is the best. Growing your own hops is pretty hard core.

Now for moonshine a friend of mine has made a little. He was using a refactory column still. Don't be drinking that stuff straight at 190 proof. It will eat your gut out in no time. It also burns real nice a blue if you ever run out of gas. LOL

ISKI
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I had a pharmacist friend who would make the stuff. He said that when your a little over 196 proof you need to test for deadly benzene chains.

torqueman
09-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I had a pharmacist friend who would make the stuff. He said that when your a little over 196 proof you need to test for deadly benzene chains.

You really can't get over about 195 proof without adding some pretty complicated vacuum chamber and such. Because the bad stuff has a lower evaporation temp than alcohol the trick is to throw out the first cup. But even with that I have been told that there is more methanol in a gallon of OJ than a gallon of alcohol so some argue the old first cup thing is not necessary. Still why take any chances?

Nick
03-04-2011, 03:15 AM
. Still why take any chances?

Especially when there's a small fuel cell in the back of the car already half full of alcohol to keep the turbo happy in the first place. :lol:

The aussies have grain brewing down to a lay man's science. Quite a few start with "Eskys" - the iconic big blue cooler for their mashes. Simplifies things quite a bit, though there are a few companies making high grade stainless add ons for the coolers. Makes for a pretty cheap entry, and a much larger batch than a Mr. Beer. You can often find growler bottles to sanitize on craigslist / buy them new off the internet for reasonable prices. Sanitizing / recapping your empties is an obvious no brainer.

If I'm going to sit and wait weeks upon weeks for it, there'd better be more than a few 1 liter bottles waiting for a weekend payoff. :lol:

Bluesman
03-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I've got a old man that lives in my neighborhood that has a vinyard and makes his own wine. Has a real nice winery set up in his barn complete with stainless steel tables/counters, cook tops, stainless fermenting vats and the whole nine yards. He is going to teach me the art this summer and will also teach me to brew home made beer. I can't wait. He is on up there in years and wants to show a young feller the arts while he still can so he can pass it on.

Nick
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Excellent. Always great to find someone local with the setup. You'll be on the share system. Brew it, share it, wonder where it went. :D

180guy
03-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Weldingtwopotatoes what kind of brew do you do extract, all grain or partial mash?

minnfatz
03-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I just ordered three different varieties of hop rhyzomes. I can't wait until all the f#$%ing snow melts, so I can plant them.

Bluesman
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Will hops grow down here? If they will I may try to grow some. I bet I can grow hell out of em with all this chicken litter fertilizer I got access too...

Nick
03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I can't wait until all the f#$%ing snow melts, so I can plant them.

Same vote here. About to set up my seedling trays for hot peppers. It can be miserable outside, but I can still walk to the back room and think about the pain those little innocent looking green guys will eventually cause. :lol:

minnfatz
03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Will hops grow down here? If they will I may try to grow some. I bet I can grow hell out of em with all this chicken litter fertilizer I got access too...

I am no hops expert, but from what the guy at the Brew n' Grow store said is that there are many different varieties of hops (I ordered 3 different types from a list of over a dozen) and each hop variety handles different conditions. You should be able to find something that will work. Besides, hops are essentially weeds.

Bluesman
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I am no hops expert, but from what the guy at the Brew n' Grow store said is that there are many different varieties of hops (I ordered 3 different types from a list of over a dozen) and each hop variety handles different conditions. You should be able to find something that will work. Besides, hops are essentially weeds.

Good deal. Is that a website or something you ordered from?

minnfatz
03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Actually, the store is only a few blocks from my house, but they do have a website and I believe they will ship hops to you. Check out www.brewngrow.com (http://www.brewngrow.com)

Nick
03-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Quickly gleaned info. They'll grow just about anywhere with full sun w/o frost. Usual rich, good draining soil. The kicker may be mid day heat. Might have to put up a shade - supposedly they can have trouble with heat, regardless of irrigation. Supposedly possible to grow in 5gal buckets, might make dealing with temperatures easier. :D Pick up some butcher twine / hemp cord to train the vines to your trellis.

Quick spot to look around.

USA Hops (http://www.usahops.org/)

Also... Isn't home brewing illegal in your state? Just saying... :p Silly backwoods legislation.

Bluesman
03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Quickly gleaned info. They'll grow just about anywhere with full sun w/o frost. Usual rich, good draining soil. The kicker may be mid day heat. Might have to put up a shade - supposedly they can have trouble with heat, regardless of irrigation. Supposedly possible to grow in 5gal buckets, might make dealing with temperatures easier. :D Pick up some butcher twine / hemp cord to train the vines to your trellis.

Quick spot to look around.

USA Hops (http://www.usahops.org/)

Also... Isn't home brewing illegal in your state? Just saying... :p Silly backwoods legislation.
Not illegal on a SMALL scale level. I'm not sure what the exact amount is, but I believe it is somewhere in the neighborhood of roughly 6 gallons at any given time and is to be for personal use. Can't transport it witht the intention of selling it. Which I wouldn't do that anyway. I would keep all the good stuff for me and my buds :). The Sears store here also keeps a limited number of the Mr. Beer Home Brewing kits in stock as well so I wouldn't think they would be selling that openly if it was completely illegal. Who knows, stranger things have happened. I have a friend that works for the ATF that I went to school with, may have to give her a call and get some clarification.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

[quote]Governor Haley Barbour declared July 24-31, 2010, Mississippi Craft Beer Week. Despite the state's failure to legalize the craft of home brewing, Mississippi Craft Beer Week worked to promote an increased awareness of regionally crafted and brewed beers. In his proclamation of Mississippi Craft Beer Week, Governor Barbour also addresses the importance of recognizing craft beer as a product of "substance and soul," and one that should be enjoyed while "practicing responsible appreciation."

Read more: Mississippi Home Brewing Laws | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/list_7315595_mississippi-home-brewing-laws.html#ixzz1GD5x58lp) Mississippi Home Brewing Laws | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/list_7315595_mississippi-home-brewing-laws.html#ixzz1GD5x58lp[/quote)]

I stand corrected. Apparantly it is illegal as of yet but with the blessings of the Governor of the Great State of Mississippi, I shall raise my pints anyhow. I don't think it is enforced. However, apparantly you can make wine and cider. I will drink it from wine glasses if the police show up. :)

I think that 6 gallon volume I spoke of was in reference to wine. But I don't intend on "keeping" more than that around at any given time. :)

Nick
03-10-2011, 10:27 AM
But I don't intend on "keeping" more than that around at any given time. :)

Just ball breaking for the sake of ball breaking. :mrgreen:

I'd be next door with a fridge full of my own as well.

"So sorry officer, I meant to drink it sooner, it must have gone bad and fermented..." :lol:

Bluesman
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Just ball breaking for the sake of ball breaking. :mrgreen:

I'd be next door with a fridge full of my own as well.

"So sorry officer, I meant to drink it sooner, it must have gone bad and fermented..." :lol:
May not have to worry about it if the election goes as I'm planning on it going for our local sheriff. :)
He is a good friend of mine and is running as a Republican Candidate, and I happen to be the County Republican Party Chairman... So, if it goes as planned, may have a celebration party for him out on the farm...

I love it when a good plan falls into place. :)

Nick
03-10-2011, 10:44 AM
May not have to worry about it if the election goes as I'm planning on it going for our local sheriff. :)

lol. There's a local police "chaperoned" halloween party locally by invite only. Kegs, Bottles, Jello filled swimming pools galore. A little birdie told me it'd make the Romans blush. :lol: