PDA
View Full Version :

4860 foot of weld...1 giant cooler!!!

SICFabrications
08-29-2010, 06:06 PM
i did this job a few months ago, just thought ya'll might like to see it... this job involved an aggregate cooler... they run the product through a kiln to bake out moisture and to send it through a chemical changed induced via high heat. after coming outta the kiln, it drops into another drum to cool off.... the cooler wasnt cooling good enough and was burning up the lift chain bearings..... so.... they wanted cooler fins welded on 4 inches on center. the diameter of the drum is 10 foot, length is 40 foot.... drum thickness 2 inch, ring thickness...3/8.... in one of the pics, you see a fella with some fire dept shirt on... dude is 6 ft 6 and easy 300 pounds (use him for a size comparison.... this will take a few posts for me to get the pics up

SICFabrications
08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
job spec'd for 3/8 fillet...solid weld on both sides of the ring, using .035 solid wire mig... after 8 rolls of wire and i lost count of 300cf bottles of c-25 and many gallons of diesel and gasoline

weldingtwopotatoes
08-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Are those curved pieces cut from flat sheet or are they bent in some way? Great Work.

arandall
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow! - -do you ever do any small jobs??

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow that was quite a project.

SICFabrications
08-29-2010, 06:26 PM
they were cut out via water table at a machine shop in north arkansas out of 3/8 sheet off from a coil line... if you dont know what a coil line is, ask, and i'll try to explain that one as well

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Wow! - -do you ever do any small jobs??

Cheers,
Art R.

the repo truck was a small job... until he brought his whole fleet of repo trucks over to have repairs done

weldingtwopotatoes
08-29-2010, 06:39 PM
they were cut out via water table at a machine shop in north arkansas out of 3/8 sheet off from a coil line... if you dont know what a coil line is, ask, and i'll try to explain that one as well

I don't know what a coil line is, if your up for explaining it that would be great. Just based on it's name I'm assuming it's some kind of cutting surface that is fed from a metal coil.

SICFabrications
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
pretty much, yes.... flat steel comes in coils..... yes even the great big stuff..... anyway, a machine takes the coild and straightens the metal and shears it to length... so, if ya have a coil line and a water table, you can cut the parts and not have much waste because youre not limited to 4x8 or 5x10 sheets.... lemme find a link

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Norfolk Iron & Metal - Coil Line (http://www.norfolkiron.com/page.asp?pageID=16) its the first i pulled up on a google search that was proper

weldingtwopotatoes
08-29-2010, 06:52 PM
I've seen the big metal coil rolls but only of 18 or 16 gauge I had no idea thick stuff like 3/16 came in a coil. Thanks for the info.

Bluesman
08-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Dang, that is a lot of welding!

SICFabrications
08-29-2010, 07:02 PM
4 guys, 10 hour days, 8 days...... i was glad to get back to welding flat or even overhead again.... i HATE vertical

matteh99
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
That is almost a mile of weld. That is ridiculous..

I guess that is how you get good at MIG welding :)

tjjolle
08-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Dude SIC, I used to log in all the time to see what TOMSIGN was working on, but I think you have taken the cake on numbers of cool projects. Thanks, I always enjoy seeing your posts.

KHK
08-29-2010, 09:31 PM
I looked at the pictures first, then read what went with the pictures. Very impressive!!

Buckcp
08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
AJ wants to know how much he has to pay you to apprentice under you next summer?

SICFabrications
08-31-2010, 06:47 PM
heck, i wouldnt charge someone to work their tail off =)) its hot here and the work is plenty, and mostly heavy iron

ISKI
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Nice work, I think that the height adds a little bit of challenge here. I can see a lot of magnet clamps hitting the ground as mine are very wimpy. I think that this would be an endurance test for both welder and machine. I hope they let you spin the thing.

SICFabrications
08-31-2010, 07:23 PM
mag clamps??? nah, had a flunky from the construction crew (guy in the firefighter t-shirt) "here, hold this right there...well, a little left.... now up.... too far.... yeah, thats it" then tack in place.... best clamp ever!

ISKI
09-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I purchased a dozen mag clamps, and always try to use them, but endup with G-clamps angle Iron, and scraps of metal. When I purchased them the guy at AirGas told me that a good welder can hold anything with a weak magnet. He said all a real welder needs is to get the metal close, then he uses the heat to pull them together, and keep if from pulling left to right etc.

He also said that "there are two kinds of men, those who can weld and those who can't" which one are you kid? Time to unzip the skirt. Time to become a man. Time to buy some mag clamps and join the big boys;)

Mellotron
09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
That thing is unreal! Nice!

SICFabrications
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
i was very happy the day that job finished.... i did the chicken dance on the way to the driver's seat (after i packed up the back of the truck)