PDA
View Full Version :

Lincoln Motorsports welding school

matteh99
08-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Has anyone heard any thing about it?

The Lincoln Electric Welding School | Lincoln Electric (http://lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/training/weldschool/)

SICFabrications
08-25-2010, 04:26 PM
its a good school (so ive been told) but you all know how i feel about welding schools......... show me a school where they teach you real world applications, machine set up and curves, lay out and the trig that goes with it and we will talk

wellis77
08-26-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm curious as well. I've heard good things about the Lincoln courses and would like to go through it if the timing works out some time.

matteh99
08-26-2010, 07:14 PM
its a good school (so ive been told) but you all know how i feel about welding schools......... show me a school where they teach you real world applications, machine set up and curves, lay out and the trig that goes with it and we will talk

Well I am good at trig and math in general. Trig is probably the most useful type of math I learned.

Eric

UnfinishedProjects
12-08-2010, 01:28 AM
I emailed about the course and it seems good to go. I would love to go with my Dad and brother sometime next year.

Sic,

You seem against the schools; whats your take on it? Just get out in the garage and practice and practice? That's pretty much all I have ever done but it seems like it would be nice to get some formal training, especially with TIG welding. I feel like it could help identify problems. If I don't understand why my weld sucks, then I may never be able to improve.

However, with the internet these days, you may not need the school.

Arcamm
12-08-2010, 08:07 AM
A school is only as good as the instructors. If you find one with knowledgeable people you will be good. But you are right, you can get all of your tech info from the Internet, but you still need that experienced person looking over your shoulder, telling just what works and doesn't work. That, a little talent, and lots of practice make a good welder or just about anything else.

UnfinishedProjects
12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks Arcamm

Bluesman
12-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Sicfab thinks that schools need to not just teach technique, but that they need to instruct on how to set machines up for different applications, material types, positions, etc... How to choose the right rod or filler material and how to calculate all that so your welds will not only be pretty, but be up to par as far as weld strength, penetration, etc.

He was offering classes at his shop on like every other saturday or something a while back but I don't know if he is still doing it or not.

If I was closer to Arkansas you can bet your butt I would take his classes. I've talked to him enough, saw enough samples of his work, and he has helped me with some questions well enough that I have no doubt what so ever in his ability or knowledge.

UnfinishedProjects
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
All the stuff you just listed above was what I was hoping to learn. I know the simple basic stuff, it's the troubleshooting and understanding my welds that is where I need the work. If courses don't provide that, I will stick with the internet and good forums like this. Pick people's brain I guess.

Arcamm
12-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Schools can be good for teaching the theroy. If I were looking at a school, I'd go interveiw the instructors. Find out if they are "experts" because they have 20 years getting PHDs or twenty years burning rods. You can read a thousand books about striking an arc, but until you actualy strike one, you don't know anything. Make sure the school has more lab time than classroom time.

UnfinishedProjects
12-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely feel out the schools before attending.