PDA
View Full Version :

Adjustable ladder foot

arandall
08-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Our cabin at the lake is built on quite a steep hill, so using a ladder to reach the higher parts can be frustrating because of the grade.
To ease the situation, I built an adjustable foot which can be installed through the bottom two rungs on either side of most ladders to extend that particular foot to accomodate the slope of the ground. - It makes it easy to level the ladder.
I built it from the spring loaded part of a 1/2" pipe clamp, some 1/2" pipe, angle iron, some threaded rod, nuts and washers.
Picture #5 is the over-all view. #4 shows inserting the device into the ladder. #3 shows tightening the nuts. #1 shows stepping the foot down into place, and #2 shows the ladder straightened and leaning agains the building.
Hope someone will find it helpful.

PS - - the pics went in in the wrong order again, but you'll get the jist of it.
Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
08-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Great idea Art. I could have used one yesterday, I wound up using wooden blocks. Still painting the house, it's a sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwww process.

gilly
08-24-2010, 06:43 AM
You should have got a patent on that unless someone makes something similar.very good idea.

KHK
08-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Super idea Art. What did you use for the bottom of the pipe to keep it from sinking into the ground?

arandall
08-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Great idea Art. I could have used one yesterday, I wound up using wooden blocks. Still painting the house, it's a sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwww process.

Dan:
I posted the project with you in mind. - Probably a little late though.

Art R.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Super idea Art. What did you use for the bottom of the pipe to keep it from sinking into the ground?

Keith: I just welded on a piece of flat 1/4" steel for a foot.

Art R.

whitescout
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
That is a really good isea!!! I am going to have to use it.

tjjolle
08-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Great idea art!

matteh99
08-26-2010, 07:54 PM
That's a great idea. Luckily the land around my house is pretty flat but that is a neat idea. Without being attached to a ladder it would made you wonder what the heck it is for.

I assume it can be mounted on either side so you can deal with slopes to either side.

arandall
08-27-2010, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=matteh99;18667] Without being attached to a ladder it would made you wonder what the heck it is for.

Matteh:
You're right. Next time I build something weird, I'm going to post up some pictures and see if anyone can guess what it is.

Cheers,
Art R.

matteh99
08-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Sounds like fun. Another website has a what the heck is it game for prizes. They do weird gadgets but home made tools would be fun also.

eric