PDA
View Full Version :

a custom tri-axle trailer hot shot style

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 05:26 PM
a buddy hot shotter asked me to build him a custom tri axle.... so i did =)) and here ya go.... used 10 inch channel for the main frame rails and 2x2 square tubing for the crossmembers.... w-10 beam for the gooseneck and bulldog hitch. LED lighting.... enjoy

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
gadget, im not computer literate enough to use a resizer...... could you just follow me around for about 30 more minutes and fix it? please??

gilly
08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Looks good SIC.As they say, looks store bought.Very professional looking job.

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 06:05 PM
thanks..... now to come up with a slogan,,,, and it caint be "dude, thats sic!" (although that would be cool...lol)

Gadget
08-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Stan,
The images have been resized.
dan

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 07:21 PM
thanks, gadget! (did you catch the other thread?)

poodle
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Good looking trailer. I sure like the new LED lights on them now days. I wish I had it and that feller had a feather up his and we would both be tickeled. I think I would only need tandem axles tho.

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
i wish he would have asked for tandems as well...... setting up 2 axles is tough, setting up the third is something that i hope i never have to do again..... i would rather someone beat me with a big stick than to have to fight a tri axle again!

wellis77
08-20-2010, 11:57 PM
WOW that is a nice trailer Sic.

KHK
08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Nice looking trailer!! How long did it take you to complete?

SICFabrications
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM
from start to finish after cleaning, paint, primer, wiring and leveling and decking.... 3 guys 20 hours

Bluesman
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
If I ever make it to Central Ark, I'm going to come visit your shop. My wife's family is from AR so maybe I can talk her into a vacation or something. I looked at your website and I'm thoroughly impressed. I would love to be able to come soak up some knowledge from you if I ever had the opportunity. You have experience and photos from everything from heavy machinery repairs to some very artistic pieces. Some folks can do one or the other but you don't find many that do both (or WILL do both anyway). I have been trying some ornamental/artistic type stuff lately and I have to say it is rather nice to be able to work on something and let your imagination take over rather than having to stare/read a set of blueprints!

SICFabrications
08-21-2010, 08:08 PM
you would be welcome to stop by anytime, blues..... my number is on my site, or catch me here.... what part of arkansas they from?

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

yo, bluesman..... how far away from houma, la are ya? im headed there towards the end of september for a fishing tournament.... flyfishing for red fish out of cocadrie.... i never win, but dang the chow is wonderful!

tjjolle
08-21-2010, 10:44 PM
This project is the very example of why I am learning to weld, and motivation to learning. Very cool! Looks great. I was looking at the door on your website......the door is something Id like to tackel for my house. Would you be willing to share info on material thickness, basic outline for a build?

SICFabrications
08-21-2010, 11:44 PM
first things first.... customer drew that door out in a pattern. he spec'd it for 1 inch thick.... so the outer steel was plasma cut out of 1 inch plate... the barring is all 1 inch square stock. i had to build a forge just for this project. heated each piece and hammered them around an old cylinder rod and anvil for shape. each piece was bent by hand, basically. the hinges are self lubricating using bronze bushings. the pins on the hinges are 1 inch cold roll and chromed.... the outer barrels of the hinges are DOM tubing.

i colored the metal (dont laugh) but i covered the metal with cow dung (yes, i used nitrile kitchen gloves) and let it set for a week.... washed it clean, and used a buffer to swirl the finish a little, then had it powder coated clear....

it was a fun project

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

i dont have print for this door, albeit i have the design still on paper..... the design he had drawn for him by a tattoo artist on a 8x11 sheet of paper... so i had to transpose it onto the welding table bigger using silver permanent sharpie markers...and a ton of patience! i wont try to tackle a build that heavy during the summer months because it's just too hot.

my forge started life as saddle tanks on an old ford big truck, it is wood fired and forced air injected using a fumigator fan and some duct work. i think i burned a total of 3 rick of hardwood just on that project

SICFabrications
08-22-2010, 02:33 PM
just thought of something else..... if you want, find a tattoo artist and have them draw designs for ya... its what i do, and have several of my customers do.... tattoo artists are great at abstract stuff and are even better at taking your ideas and putting them on paper..... i have 1 artist that i use exclusively, and i pay him for each drawing as if he had put actual ink on someone... that way he still makes a living, and i get some wicked cool stuff to build...

Bluesman
08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
you would be welcome to stop by anytime, blues..... my number is on my site, or catch me here.... what part of arkansas they from?

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

yo, bluesman..... how far away from houma, la are ya? im headed there towards the end of september for a fishing tournament.... flyfishing for red fish out of cocadrie.... i never win, but dang the chow is wonderful!

I am not sure about how far we are from Houma but I will check. BTW, wife's folks are from NE AR.

SICFabrications
08-22-2010, 10:25 PM
houma is about 45 minutes from new orleans

Bluesman
08-23-2010, 03:46 AM
houma is about 45 minutes from new orleans
I'm going to guess and say about two hours then. I'm out here about 25 miles east of Hattiesburg, MS

Icutone2
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Super job! I only need a single axle for a saw mill rig.
Lee

arandall
08-24-2010, 03:05 PM
That is a nice trailer! He must be intending to haul some heavy loads.

Cheers,
Art R.

SICFabrications
08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
yeah, he is a hot shotter.... runs aircraft engines between the supplier and buyers