PDA
View Full Version :

any hunters?

ahack3r
08-17-2010, 11:34 PM
or shooters for that matter. I love hunting and shooting, I've competed in several Trap and Skeet teams and have my share of tropies GreenCool I also collect and customize rifles. anyone else interested in America's greatest gift of firearms?

gilly
08-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I use to hunt,but quit because of medical problems.But love to shoot.I have a browning A-bolt 7mm mag with the boss system,man is that thing loud,but fun to shoot.Sounds like a cannon.I have a 9mm ruger stainless pistol,and a 22 rifle.Just sold a rem.1100 shotgun,wish i had kept it now.I don't fool with them on your level,but shoot every chance i get.

ahack3r
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
7mm? that is quite the bullet and one of the few that I don't own. I have a Winchester 300 and a barrett .50 though :D

my Uncle lives in Alabama and he's a pro ammo reloader...maybe you've heard of him? his name is Mike Ryberg.

gilly
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
7mm? that is quite the bullet and one of the few that I don't own. I have a Winchester 300 and a barrett .50 though :D

my Uncle lives in Alabama and he's a pro ammo reloader...maybe you've heard of him? his name is Mike Ryberg.

Both nice guns.I looked at a 300,but just got a better deal on the 7mm.No I haven't heard of your uncle,but I may look him up for ammo.I dear hunted and didn't want my dear running off,like my hunting buddy's did,he would raise cain if he knew I said that.He used a 270,and hit almost every dear he shot at,but over half of what he shot ran off,and that bothered me a lot for them to run off and die for no reason,so I bought a bigger gun to make sure.

ahack3r
08-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I have a .270 as well, and it is just a little too small for deer or anything bigger, but great for taking down coyotes.

gilly
08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
a 270 would be great for that.It is a super flat shooting gun.Fast bullet.

poodle
08-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I hunt. I mostly bow hunt but it don't hurt my feelings to drag out my 30-06. I guess you could say I am lucky, the company I work for sends us hunting and fishing all over the world as a bonus. We have 2 company owned gun ranges where I work. We throw a big party every year on the opening of Dove season. This year alone I have been to NewMexico to hunt free range Oryx,and to South Texas hunting Nilgai and am signed up to go to SouthWest NewMexico to hunt mule deer with my bow. I also reload, it is a good way to relax. Two of the guys I work with just came back from a month in NewZeland and Australia hunting. Thats to long a trip for me. They did get to take their wives with them. I shot a 338 Ultra mag while hunting the Nilgai, I took one look at that shell and just knew it would stomp my butt in the ground. Never noticed it. The rifle was real heavy so it took a bunch of kick out.

gilly
08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I hunted from a climbing tree stand,so I could not handle to heavy a gun going up and down a tree twice a day.I bow hunted some also.Last bow I had was a PSE eliminator,it was a nice bow.Messed up my shoulder doing floor covering for 38 years,so had to give it up.But I might still gun hunt,but not from a tree,unless it has a ladder going up to a stationary platform with a shooting house built on it,windows that open and close,some type of heat source,small ice box,cell phone,some way to urinate without going in the cold,maybe an alarm clock for just in case,but I don't know we'll see.

poodle
08-18-2010, 08:03 PM
I have seen pics.of some blinds that looked like a 4-star hotel. I have never used one, but i've seen um. I mostly use a pop-up when I hunt around here. My Western hunts have all been spot and stalk.

ahack3r
08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I hunt. I mostly bow hunt but it don't hurt my feelings to drag out my 30-06. I guess you could say I am lucky, the company I work for sends us hunting and fishing all over the world as a bonus. We have 2 company owned gun ranges where I work. We throw a big party every year on the opening of Dove season. This year alone I have been to NewMexico to hunt free range Oryx,and to South Texas hunting Nilgai and am signed up to go to SouthWest NewMexico to hunt mule deer with my bow. I also reload, it is a good way to relax. Two of the guys I work with just came back from a month in NewZeland and Australia hunting. Thats to long a trip for me. They did get to take their wives with them. I shot a 338 Ultra mag while hunting the Nilgai, I took one look at that shell and just knew it would stomp my butt in the ground. Never noticed it. The rifle was real heavy so it took a bunch of kick out.

...oh my gosh thats crazy! where do you work?

Hamstn
08-19-2010, 07:15 PM
It would hurt my feelings to pick up a gun. Been a bow hunter for 25+years. Used to shoot indoor 300 tournaments during the winter. I have even taken a few geese with a bow out here on the farm during goose season.

Had the pleasure to take many deer, several elk, and a few antelope but the wolves that have been forced on the west has made hunting more difficult the last few years as the animals have changed habitat and fewer of them.

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 07:35 PM
It would hurt my feelings to pick up a gun. Been a bow hunter for 25+years. Used to shoot indoor 300 tournaments during the winter. I have even taken a few geese with a bow out here on the farm during goose season.

Had the pleasure to take many deer, several elk, and a few antelope but the wolves that have been forced on the west has made hunting more difficult the last few years as the animals have changed habitat and fewer of them.

you bow hunters impressive me, my brother and a friend are pro at it and I couldn't hit anything thats moving >_<

SICFabrications
08-19-2010, 08:01 PM
how do you like that barret? i have the armalite counterpart... .50 bmg

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 08:40 PM
how do you like that barret? i have the armalite counterpart... .50 bmg

I suggest not buying it, if you're going to buy something crazy, I suggest get your ClassIII and get an AA12 YouTube - AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c)

gilly
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
That AA-12 is a bad dude.Man I would like to have that.Probably would have to mortgage the house to buy it.

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
That AA-12 is a bad dude.Man I would like to have that.Probably would have to mortgage the house to buy it.

pretty much :( too bad I don't have connections with the black market, could get a killer deal >_<

gilly
08-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Talk about home protection.Heck you could protect the whole neighborhood.

ahack3r
08-20-2010, 01:07 PM
speaking of protecting the neighborhood, I just discovered that Flamethrowers are legal in the United states under federal law...very strange but cool if you ask me.

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 01:32 PM
as far as home protection, i figure if i need more than one shot, im toast anyway..... i keep a smith & wesson model 500 5 shot revolver loaded for home protection =)) .50 caliber short barrel hand gun designed to stop a charging polar bear for alaskan fly fishing guides.... for anything else, just to look down the business end of the armalite .50 bmg spooks most anyone away.....quickly

tjjolle
08-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I havent hunted in years, but love all types. It hasnt stopped me from getting guns (7mm Mag, 7.64x39mm, 9mm, 380 auto, a few .22s, and some old collector guns. I hope to get an AR15 and AR50 in the next few years. The trick is convincing the wife I "need" them. As long as Obama is in office, I think the convincing we should be guns now isnt going to be a hard argument.

SICFabrications
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
As long as Obama is in office, I think the convincing we should be guns now isnt going to be a hard argument.

woooooooha!!!! tjj, you n me think alike......

i love the united states, but if things keep going the way they are going (especially with him at the steering wheel) i think it might be time for me and my family to move back home to ireland!

ahack3r
08-21-2010, 11:02 AM
woooooooha!!!! tjj, you n me think alike......

i love the united states, but if things keep going the way they are going (especially with him at the steering wheel) i think it might be time for me and my family to move back home to ireland!

I'll stay and fight the fight, but if it looks doomed I'll come join you in Ireland :)

Bluesman
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I have few. Nothing fancy. I have a 12 ga. shotgun Rem 870, a 20 ga. bolt action shotgun (got it just because I had never saw one before and the guy asked me if I wanted it and I told him yeah and asked what he wanted for it and when he said 75 dollars, well I just couldn't pass it up), Bersa 380 (give skunks, snakes, and other varmints hell as well as any would be intruders), I also have a Ruger mini-14 with a 30 round clip... (It may be a little small in some folks opinions but I kill hell out of deer with it and just because the caliber is small don't mean anything if you are shooting the right round and put it where it needs to be... I ain't never emptied the clip before on one cause usually they fold with one shot, but if I had to, I bet I would kill hell out of it fore I ran out of bullets... That is for sure.) I got a couple 22's as well

SICFabrications
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
bolt action 12 gauge....hmmmmm.... that a mossberg with a REALLY long barrel, adjustable choke and a 3 round clip in magazine? i used to have one of those

ahack3r
08-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I have few. Nothing fancy. I have a 12 ga. shotgun Rem 870, a 20 ga. bolt action shotgun (got it just because I had never saw one before and the guy asked me if I wanted it and I told him yeah and asked what he wanted for it and when he said 75 dollars, well I just couldn't pass it up), Bersa 380 (give skunks, snakes, and other varmints hell as well as any would be intruders), I also have a Ruger mini-14 with a 30 round clip... (It may be a little small in some folks opinions but I kill hell out of deer with it and just because the caliber is small don't mean anything if you are shooting the right round and put it where it needs to be... I ain't never emptied the clip before on one cause usually they fold with one shot, but if I had to, I bet I would kill hell out of it fore I ran out of bullets... That is for sure.) I got a couple 22's as well

I totally agree! Ruger Mini-14's are amazing, I have a beautiful one with the factory wooden stock and a hand made leather sling that I made for it. People need to stop complaining about small calibers, and they just need to learn to aim :)

Bluesman
08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
bolt action 12 gauge....hmmmmm.... that a mossberg with a REALLY long barrel, adjustable choke and a 3 round clip in magazine? i used to have one of those
Bolt action is a 20 ga. I think it is supposed to be a 3 round clip but I've found that it don't work right unless you only put two rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. I think it is a N.E. Firearms or a Savage. I'll check in a little bit once we get the kids in bed. I will have to play 20 questions and my tomboy (thinks she can do anything a boy can... usually can, and usually better :P) and my little man will NOT be able to sleep cause they will think I'm going shooting or hunting without them... They are all about shootin guns, fishin, and huntin.

ahack3r
08-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Bolt action is a 20 ga. I think it is supposed to be a 3 round clip but I've found that it don't work right unless you only put two rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. I think it is a N.E. Firearms or a Savage. I'll check in a little bit once we get the kids in bed. I will have to play 20 questions and my tomboy (thinks she can do anything a boy can... usually can, and usually better :P) and my little man will NOT be able to sleep cause they will think I'm going shooting or hunting without them... They are all about shootin guns, fishin, and huntin.

sounds like a fun family, do any of them have their own guns?

Bluesman
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
sounds like a fun family, do any of them have their own guns?
BB and airsoft of their own... That is all I let them use unless I'm standing gaurd with them letting them shoot mine. She is 10 and he is 8 so I just haven't gotten to the point I feel safe with them having their own long guns. I guess that is the Hunter Ed. instructor coming out in me. I have to teach other people's kids about firearm safety, conservation, ethics and such and while doing so I get to inform them of some pretty bad accidents involving youngins and guns and the youngins (or in some cases, the adults) not being very careful... One of which involved one of my students getting shot in the head with double 00 buckshot BY HER DAD! Luckily she only ended up with non-life threatening injuries and after a brief stint in the hospital and some lead removed from her head she made a near full recovery. We blamed her air headedness from then on from the severe head trauma inflicted upon her by her dad. Some of the stories don't end so happily though. I love guns and want a houseful of them but I also respect them and want my kids to respect them and at some point when I feel they are ready I will get them a "real" gun of their own. I do have a 410 that I plan on giving them that was handed down to me about that age, but I will make sure they are ready first.

ahack3r
08-23-2010, 11:47 PM
BB and airsoft of their own... That is all I let them use unless I'm standing gaurd with them letting them shoot mine. She is 10 and he is 8 so I just haven't gotten to the point I feel safe with them having their own long guns. I guess that is the Hunter Ed. instructor coming out in me. I have to teach other people's kids about firearm safety, conservation, ethics and such and while doing so I get to inform them of some pretty bad accidents involving youngins and guns and the youngins (or in some cases, the adults) not being very careful... One of which involved one of my students getting shot in the head with double 00 buckshot BY HER DAD! Luckily she only ended up with non-life threatening injuries and after a brief stint in the hospital and some lead removed from her head she made a near full recovery. We blamed her air headedness from then on from the severe head trauma inflicted upon her by her dad. Some of the stories don't end so happily though. I love guns and want a houseful of them but I also respect them and want my kids to respect them and at some point when I feel they are ready I will get them a "real" gun of their own. I do have a 410 that I plan on giving them that was handed down to me about that age, but I will make sure they are ready first.

yea thats a good idea, I bought my 12 year old sister a Rossi Mini .22 rifle (http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=417616&pdesc=Rossi_Single_Shot_22LR_Youth_w/Nickel_Finish/Pink_Synthetic_Stock&aID=510B4&merchID=4006) it's a great gun for little ones.

Buckcp
08-25-2010, 09:37 AM
I no longer hunt, tho hunted and shot extensivly for over 40 years, I used to shoot through a case of imr4350 powder a year. Tho I owned most all standard and wildcat calibers from 411 kdf magnum down to the 22 hornet, my favorite round was the 338wm shooting a 275gr speer over 72grs of 4350. When I started reloading in the late 60's that was the max load listed for the 338wm, over the years I watched it drop down to 69grs being listed as max, due to lawsuit concerns I imagine. I used this load on everything from antelope, deer, elk, black bear and even bighorn sheep. Guess I was a firm believer in Elmer Keith and his thoughts on heavy bullets.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

My granddad was a wolfer and horse trader most his life, he would buy horses from the Indians on the reservations for $5.00 a head, then trail them to Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado, selling them to the farmers along the way for $25.00 a head. He did this until 1919 when he homesteaded the ranch. He still wolfed, and killed the last wolf in Natrona County in a draw just south of where the Natrona County Memorial Hospital is, and was at the time he killed it. He and Grandma made a trip to town twice a year for supplies, spring and fall. It was during the depression and their fall trip for supplies, and Granddad stressed to Mame not to spend a penny on anything that wasn’t essential. When they reached town, he dropped Mame of to buy supplies, and he headed over to Metcalfs hardware where Mr. Metcalf pulled out a almost new Browning Auto 5 in a leather sheepskin case, he wanted $15.00 for this combo. Then he pulled out a well used Remington 11 he would let go for $5.00. Granddad bought the Remington, wrapped it in gunnysacks and picked up Mame and the supplies and headed to the ranch. About 5 miles from the ranch a flock of sage chickens wandered across the trail in front of them, and Granddad casually informed Grandma he had a hankerin for chicken, and luckily he had bought just the shotgun to get the job done. He shucked out that Remington, threw it up to his shoulder and “click” the firing pin was broke. He always laughed and said the remaining ride into the ranch was the longest 5 miles of his life.