PDA
View Full Version :

250 PI, I see a blue arc inside the case when on TIG?

moespeeds
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I've been messing around with my new 250 pi for a week now, and tonight I noticed a pretty heavy blue arc inside the case. If you're standing in front of the welder looking at the knobs, its inside the case towards the top left side, you can see it arcing through the vents. I noticed it while in tig mode with the torch switch. Is this normal? It seems to be operating just fine. I had one instance where it wouldn't initiate an arc but turning the unit off and then back on fixed the problem.

LONGEVITY
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Moespeeds,

The arc inside the case is adjustable and that is the HF board. Our units inside feature adjustable boards in case you need to adjust the arc to make it more stable. If you open the unit, you will see a bright arc in between two points on a circuit board. This is normal and that is how your TIG and plasma cutter torches get the arc.

Remember, each unit also has a duty cycle.

gilly
08-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Is there a certain gap to the points to be maintained?And does it explain this in the manual?

moespeeds
08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Ok, so this is normal. When I couldn't get an arc, the machine had been sitting idle for a few min while I re-arranged parts, and the overheat light was not on. That's the first thing I checked. So far everything seems fine, whether it was a fluke or whatever, the machine has been welding great. Thanks!

LONGEVITY
08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there a certain gap to the points to be maintained?And does it explain this in the manual?

Our engineer stated the optimal gap is about 30000-35000ths the right distance. However, you can always play with it and see if the arc becomes more stable. We often correct these after shipping and if customers are having issues. Also, if you work in a dusty environment, it is always good to blow air through the unit to make sure those points are clear.

Bluesman
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Good info there...

Icutone2
08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Would to big of an arc cause the unit to trip a 20 Amp breaker? I reset the breaker and it has not tripped it again in many minuets of use. Thanks for the notes provided, any word on when a manual will be available?
Thanks
Lee

tigqk
09-25-2010, 02:27 AM
The arc that you see is more likely the HF circuit as stated you can see from the vents.What you have to watch is for the overheating light to go on for no reason.So use the machine as you would normally. I had a machine fail on me because of UPS dropping the unit and the first thing that happened was the overheat light went on..a strange sound from the inside, and the next thing .... well I don't want to scare you.LOLOL Best thing you can do is use it, and don't worry to much, they good machines.

KHK
09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Would to big of an arc cause the unit to trip a 20 Amp breaker? I reset the breaker and it has not tripped it again in many minuets of use. Thanks for the notes provided, any word on when a manual will be available?
Thanks
Lee

If I understand correctly you are using a 20 amp breaker to power a 250PI. If so the breaker should be a 35 amp and the proper wire size for incumming power.