PDA
View Full Version :

Just rec. my LC-416D

MAD4metal
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Just hr. ago the mail man brought my unit. I have just opened the boxes. Two boxes were taped together. The smaller box with the pedal control and flow meter in it were smashed, but I opened it and the parts appear to be ok. I have looked pretty much everything over and the only thing so far I can see wrong is a screw is missing from the cover on the stick welder electrode holder. That's pretty minor. I can find a screw I guess.
There are no instructions at all . I don't know if that is normal. I guess the first thing I need to do is to download the manual pdf. I have not put it together or plugged anything in yet.
There are no plugs for the power cord either. Is that normal ?
Well, I will be having some questions coming soon folks. Anything anyone can offer me in advance is welcome. I know minimal about plasma cutters and TIG welders.
I did get my 3/16" sheet of steel yesterday also. I should be able to start before too long cutting something. I still have to get the gas to TIG with, I will soon.
I just downloaded the manual and copied it. It seems to be incomplete somewhat and there are notes there to follow up with completing the manual.....
I have a question already.....I see there is a water filtering device for the plasma function. Do I still need to have a separate moisture filter on my air line ? I was planning to do that, but I see there is a filter on the unit.

Gadget
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
The power cord normally comes without a plug. That makes it easier to connect to your power by matching the outlet you have. Make sure you get a plug rated at the current the unit is rated at.
If you got two boxes taped together were they labeled with the proper labels or does it look like DHL may have repackaged? I am betting on the latter. There should have been some form of instructions I think.
A separate water filter would be helpful but the one included with the unit works pretty well and can be used by itself.
Gadget

MAD4metal
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanx for the response Gadget....DHL definitely repacked both boxes, because there was torn DHL cardboard and DHL envelopes inside both boxes used as packing.
That's sort of what I thought about the water filter too.
As far as the plug I was just going to get a regular household type plug ( a good one ) cause that's the only type of outlet I have, ( 110 v. )
I'm a bit upset that there is very minimal instruction available for this equipment. Learning to operate it is one thing, but I really can't believe that assembly is just sort of left up to the buyer to figure it out. The manual download online is pretty much useless..... :?

LONGEVITY
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Mad4Metal,

The instructions are currently not included in the packaging of the boxes because the old manual we had was infective. We got the new manuals up and running and we will be able to help you answer any questions you may have.

I also personally sent you a PM with the manual link. This is not out on the site yet!

Please call us if you have any questions and happy cutting,

Longevity

Gadget
08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I think if you didn't get a packing list I would request one from Simon. DHL may have lost something. Did you get any torch consumables with the unit? I think a basic torch consumable kit is supposed to be included with the unit. TIG air cups and collets should be included as well. TIG electrodes are not included. Check with Simon to be sure.
Gadget

MAD4metal
08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
I did not get a packing list, nor any type of invoice. That may be coming later in mail. There may have been some paper work lost. Like I said before, one of the boxes was pretty badly damaged and lots of tape on it. The parts appear to be ok though....... Yes I did get consumables pkg. and added list of consumables I ordered. I haven't counted pieces, but there are some there.
I can not open the link for the manual that you sent Simon. I keep getting an error.

LONGEVITY
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
We replied with the manual and if there is any damage to the machine, let me know, i will go ahead and start a claim.

Thanks

MAD4metal
08-09-2008, 10:47 AM
So far everything looks to be ok. There are no dents , scrapes etc. I did finally put an electrical plug on it, but I have not turned it on yet. I am still confused about assembly. I have to get some more parts to hook up the air filter for one. I also don't understand the adjustment on the filter. I want to make sure it is right. The manual you sent me is not any different that the one I downloaded from the Longevity site. It is vague and incomplete. Are you sure you sent me the right one ? This one is not updated.

This link I was just sent again by Longevity does not work. Is it me, my computer or what ? Can someone else try this and tell me if it is working ?...... http://longevity-inc.com/files/Longevity

Gadget
08-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Mad,
Could you be a bit more specific on he filter? I should be able to help if I know what the problem is. I know for plasma you should have the pressure set to 70PSI. The drain at the bottom should allow slight air flow. To adjust the pressure you need to pull the knob up first, then it will turn.
Gadget

MAD4metal
08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Mad,
Could you be a bit more specific on he filter? I should be able to help if I know what the problem is. I know for plasma you should have the pressure set to 70PSI. The drain at the bottom should allow slight air flow. To adjust the pressure you need to pull the knob up first, then it will turn.
Gadget
Thanx Gadget....ok,,, I got the filter on and picked up the pieces I needed for my quick coupling . I can't tell which is "in" and which is the "out" from the filter for one thing.( or does it matter ? ) I see how the adjustment works on the top knob as far as how to turn it. I'm just not sure which way to turn it for what I need with it. I have a pressure control on my air compressor.
So when I pull the bottom nipple that is spring loaded that will let air through the line and also drain any water that is in the bowl ? Is that correct ? I assume that the short ( about 6 " long ) piece of rubber hose goes on that drain plug. Then the other hose that has a hose clamp on each end goes from the air out on filter to the air/gas in on the unit ?
This same inlet with a slip over nipple is also where I will hook up my argon to when I am TIG welding ? This doesn't seem right to have that sort of fitting for the argon. Air is ok, but I would think that the argon would have a more secure screw on nut to secure it. The argon doesn't run through air filter does it ?
I finally turned the power on today. I didn't try to cut anything. I just wanted to see if the power did actually come on and the light and the fan worked. It all seemed to work, but I only had it on for a few seconds. I got a brown out in the whole building every time I flicked the switch on. So there is something wrong there. For one thing I guess I need a dedicated circuit to this unit ( 110v. ) I have my electrician coming over tomorrow to look at it. I think I will also have him hook me up with 220v.
I won't be working this unit for awhile it seems.
Also Gadget, would you try this link and tell me if you can open it ? http://longevity-inc.com/files/Longevity

LONGEVITY
08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Mad4metal,

Try to use the machine at 220v - remember the green with yellow is the ground and the other two wires are positive. On 220v, you will see the best performance from your unit. Remember, the power plug minimum requirement is 30amps on 220v.

Gadget
08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
As you look at the meter the input it to the left and the output is on the right. I usually keep the regulator on my compressor at about 120psi and use the filter to bring it down to 70psi. The bottom nipple will allow a small amount of air flow at all times, it isn't necessary to do anything to bleed the water unless you have a lot in the bulb. As I recall, pushing the nipple up will release more air. Before cutting apply air and adjust the regulator up or down as needed, you won't hurt it if you start too high or low if you are not cutting at the time. The other hose goes between the welder and the filter or the welder and the argon regulator. A hose of this type is fine since the pressure is regulated and quite low when using the argon. I am using air quick couplers so I can quickly switch from argon to air. The argon should not go through the filter since there is a built in leakage for water draining that would be too costly when using argon. I have some photos of this setup here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58 (http://longevity-inc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58)
I would suggest using 220 for this unit if possible. You will get more power and less brownout. The link doesn't work for me either by the way.
Gadget

Thanx Gadget....ok,,, I got the filter on and picked up the pieces I needed for my quick coupling . I can't tell which is "in" and which is the "out" from the filter for one thing.( or does it matter ? ) I see how the adjustment works on the top knob as far as how to turn it. I'm just not sure which way to turn it for what I need with it. I have a pressure control on my air compressor.
So when I pull the bottom nipple that is spring loaded that will let air through the line and also drain any water that is in the bowl ? Is that correct ? I assume that the short ( about 6 " long ) piece of rubber hose goes on that drain plug. Then the other hose that has a hose clamp on each end goes from the air out on filter to the air/gas in on the unit ?
This same inlet with a slip over nipple is also where I will hook up my argon to when I am TIG welding ? This doesn't seem right to have that sort of fitting for the argon. Air is ok, but I would think that the argon would have a more secure screw on nut to secure it. The argon doesn't run through air filter does it ?
I finally turned the power on today. I didn't try to cut anything. I just wanted to see if the power did actually come on and the light and the fan worked. It all seemed to work, but I only had it on for a few seconds. I got a brown out in the whole building every time I flicked the switch on. So there is something wrong there. For one thing I guess I need a dedicated circuit to this unit ( 110v. ) I have my electrician coming over tomorrow to look at it. I think I will also have him hook me up with 220v.
I won't be working this unit for awhile it seems.
Also Gadget, would you try this link and tell me if you can open it ? http://longevity-inc.com/files/Longevity

MAD4metal
08-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Well, I guess I am going to have to install 220v. I did not know this . It is suppose to run on 110v. This is the main reason I purchased this unit because I wanted to run on 110v.......My Lincoln 110v. mig welder runs fine on 110v. This ( Longevity )unit is supposed to have this inverter technology that draws less power and gives higher performance for less..... I'm thinking NOT. :roll:
Thanx for your input Gadget on this. I think I'm starting to GET it ..... I really wish I could get a good diagram from Longevity. .... I know you said you sent an updated version Simon, but if you did it's the one that I can NOT open in that link. The other ones I have are all the same and vague and incomplete. It's also starting to look like this really does not work on 110v. I will eventually get this working, but I will also do a little more research before I buy anything.... :roll:

MAD4metal
08-10-2008, 09:48 AM
I have tried to set this water filter up as you have explained Gadget. I have the water filter attached where is is suppose to go on the back of the machine. Now, as I face the back of the machine the left side of the filter should be where the air comes in to the filter and the right is where the air goes out of the filter and into the machine in the air/gas inlet nipple, correct ?.....I have tried to do this ,but with it connected this way with the ( 11" )gas/air line provided it is too short to reach the inlet on the machine by about 3". It would be long enough if I connected it on the left side of the water filter though, so I ask : Is the hose too short ? or Is the line suppose to go on the left side ? Or does it matter which side it is attached to. There is no indication on the filter itself as to which is in or out that I can see. :roll:

Gadget
08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I am sure this will work on 110V if you really need it to. If you do, use 10/2 with ground and 30 amp breaker. That should take care of your brownouts assuming you have adequate power at the breaker box. Some of the other users on this forum have done this with 110 successfully as I recall. Just keep in mind the power factor. 120V at 30 amps =3600watts. 220V at 30 amps =6600 watts. You can see from this that 220 will give you much more useable power.
Gadget

Gadget
08-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I have tried to set this water filter up as you have explained Gadget. I have the water filter attached where is is suppose to go on the back of the machine. Now, as I face the back of the machine the left side of the filter should be where the air comes in to the filter and the right is where the air goes out of the filter and into the machine in the air/gas inlet nipple, correct ?.....I have tried to do this ,but with it connected this way with the ( 11" )gas/air line provided it is too short to reach the inlet on the machine by about 3". It would be long enough if I connected it on the left side of the water filter though, so I ask : Is the hose too short ? or Is the line suppose to go on the left side ? Or does it matter which side it is attached to. There is no indication on the filter itself as to which is in or out that I can see. :roll:

Mad,
On my machine the air flow meter has a small arrow behind the gauge showing the air direction (see photo) The gauge is in the foreground to give you some orientation to the photo.
I noticed also on mine that there is a place on the back of the filter that looks like it could also take the gauge. I am going by feel though since this is fastened to my cart. I feel a boss there that seems to have a plug. Perhaps pulling the plug from that side and putting it on the other side and doing the same with the gauge the flow would then be from right to left. Maybe that will work for you.
Gadget[attachment=0:29kyq7ne]airflow.jpg[/attachment:29kyq7ne]

MAD4metal
08-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes Gadget, you are right. I see the arrow now. ( my eyes don't work as well as they used to )That is the correct flow. I took off the filter to look at the back side and I think you are correct again about using the other side . I did that. It looks right now only the hose barely reaches. It's probably ok, but it is slightly kinked. I will get a longer piece of air line.
I Moved my unit closer to the wall outlet and plugged in directly. I was on a short extension cord before . I should know better I know, but I thought it would be ok just to turn the power on as long as there was no draw on the line. Apparently not. I do not get the brown out now. I still haven't tried to cut with the ( plasma )unit though. I think I am near ready for a test, but I am still getting the 220v. hooked up here within a few days. I feel a little better.
Also I saw my electrician today. This link show how he explained how to wire so you can have both 110v. and 220v. pig tails on one cord. NOTE safety warning. I take NO responsibility for this suggestion. Anyone that does this is at their own risk.

Gadget
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Mad,
If you were to use the quick couplers on the filter you would have extra room and it would be much easier to swap between argon and air as needed. Another way to do this is make a manifold with a two way valve, one for air and the other for TIG. This would have to be between the filter and the welder. At the turn of a valve you could switch without moving any hoses.
Glad you are starting to get the kinks ironed out.

Gadget

MAD4metal
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Mad,
If you were to use the quick couplers on the filter you would have extra room and it would be much easier to swap between argon and air as needed. Another way to do this is make a manifold with a two way valve, one for air and the other for TIG. This would have to be between the filter and the welder. At the turn of a valve you could switch without moving any hoses.
Glad you are starting to get the kinks ironed out.

Gadget
I will probably later do as you suggest, either a quick connect or a manifold . For right now I just want to see it working...... I have a quick connect on the inlet to the filter but not from the filter to the unit......I am more interested in using the plasma right now. I will worry about the TIG later. I don't have the gas anyway. I don't know how much I will ever use the stick even. I know I need to make sure it's all working though in case I need to file a claim or anything. It's just taking some time.

Gadget
08-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Your slow methodical approach will pay dividends.

Gadget