PDA
View Full Version :

Back in the day:

arandall
08-13-2010, 07:49 PM
This is not a project I had anything to do with, other than the fact that it's a picture of my Dad's old racer. It was taken here at the Saskatoon Airport, probably on a runway, around 1956.
I believe it's a late 40's Merc, with a flathead of course. My Dad sponsered the car as advertisement for his "BA" (British American) service station. The colours, of course were BA green/white, with red lettering.
I'll never forget the sound of that old flathead roaring away in one of the service bays of our station, or the excitement of watching her race at the oval on the edge of the city.
Our last name was spelled wrong on the car at the time the photo was taken (two L's in Randall), but I love the photo anyway.
I could never get the car out of my head, and it's probably the reason why I raced later in life. - I always wanted the number 66 for my race-cars, but could never get it. - Thirty-five was my number, and I got really attached to it too.
Mom never let my dad drive (at least to our knowledge), but man I loved going to the races and watching old '66 snarl its way around the track.
Note the rim cut in half and welded to the frame for wheel protection, and the roll bar ends poking through the roof.
It might sound a bit corny, but I've got a small tatoo of old '66 on my shoulder in a place that doesn't usulally show as a souvenier, and reminder of times past.
Hope you like the picture.

Cheers,
Art R.

gilly
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Cool car,I bet it was fun to drive.I was born in 51 so I remember the flat head.It always had a distinct smell to it for some reason,when you lift the hood to me.

wellis77
08-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Very cool Art, thanks for sharing.

whitescout
08-14-2010, 07:46 AM
That looks really cool!

Gadget
08-14-2010, 08:03 AM
I can see why you look at it so fondly Art.

LONGEVITY-SALES
08-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Cool car Art! Thanks for sharing!

KHK
08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Very good memory to have!

gilly
08-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I really like the exhaust coming out of the side of body like that.Very custom.

tjjolle
08-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Great picture! I could see it on the wall of a vintage style resteraunt.

ahack3r
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
ah, you're " A randal"...clever ;)

love the car, thats great that you took the time to get the picture up here.