PDA
View Full Version :

Time for a new Helmet

ISKI
08-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Hello, a longevity carbon fiber elite helmet should arrive by the 12th. I have seen these and always wanted one. With any luck , I should get to try it out this weekend. This is helmet number four, and each one has been a big step up from the other. This is my first purchase from longevity, and most likely the least expensive as it is a great price;)

wellis77
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
NICE! I'm considering picking a new one up as well and that's the one I'm thinking. Looking forward to your feedback.

Buckcp
08-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Very nice, please let us know how you like it.

matteh99
08-11-2010, 07:09 PM
My Pro Black Longevity helmet is a bit of a pain. The head gear will loosen up and the shield will flop down. Every thing else about it works well.

Eric

Gadget
08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I think Keith or ARandall had a fix for this posted here somewhere.

wellis77
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Spent some time looking at and comparing helmets last night. I was hoping the carbon fiber elite was real carbon fiber but realized that it probably isn't since the weight is identical to the other elite helmets. Then I read the next line, NOT ACTUAL CARBON FIBER... Still may have to pick one up. I wonder if there is an actual carbon fiber helmet out there??? Wonder what one would weigh?

KHK
08-12-2010, 12:50 AM
ArtR is the one that had a solution to this problem..

wellis77
08-12-2010, 12:50 AM
6 oz. (not including the lens) and $280 later...

Ultralight One - Dry Carbon Welding Mask : Carbon Fiber Gear (http://www.carbonfibergear.com/direct/ultralight-one-dry-carbon-welding-masks)

ISKI
08-12-2010, 06:01 AM
I have to constantly adjust the knobs on all of my current masks ,(two are name brand units $$), and I figured its just the way it is. I'll have to note how the longevity unit works, maybe tonight depending on UPS. One thing I need to make are disposable cushions for the front head liner. mine get messed up fast, and have always irritated me. I put them on and get grease and soot on my forehead. The problem is I have never looked for a real replacement, and just wrap a paper towel around the front. The towel always comes loose and blocks my vision. Anyone have a favorite replacement?

Thanks

ISKI
08-13-2010, 06:05 AM
The mask arrived, but I had several parenting things that kept me from fully experiencing the mask. So I have not welded yet, but this mask looks better than my Huntsman Solex auto darking, my two Lincoln old fashion flip downs, or my no brand autodarking.
My initial impressions:
It looks good/professional
Nice leather front head cushion
Very quick response when exposed to a lit match
Grinding Mode to keep it from switching on
Front clear cover to protect solar cell
Large solar cell for operation in very low light
Selectable darkness and sensitivity
A little lighter than my Huntsman (measure this latter), with slightly larger view area.

I have not used it yet, but I wish that the inside of the mask had a holder for filters like my Huntsman. The Huntsman actually needs this since it does not have an electronic darkness control, so it uses stacks of filter material on the inside to change the light penetration. The Huntsman is about a half an inch longer in the front. As I don’t always bother snapping the neck shut on my welding jacket, I tend to get a tan here. This may not actually be true as the Longevity has a lip that projects forward to block more of the angled arc rays making up for a small distance difference.

So far I may want to mount a holder on the inside for additional light blockage, (maybe not need, and won’t happen). I do have a theory that an old fashion filter protects one just a little on the initial turn on as it does not switch. It’s just a theory;) All in all I love it, and think the other masks will be for spectators only, and may not often see the light of arc again;)

gilly
08-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I like the bigger view lens on my helmet that Wellis77 referred to in his post.Is there a reason why Longevity only makes the smaller lens besides maybe to keep the price down?Just curious.I am looking for a new helmet also.

ISKI
08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I wonder if you really need more area. I think that the smaller the lens the more efficient it is, (faster response due to physics, and less stress on electronics for same response).

SICFabrications
08-13-2010, 03:31 PM
6 oz. (not including the lens) and $280 later...

Ultralight One - Dry Carbon Welding Mask : Carbon Fiber Gear (http://www.carbonfibergear.com/direct/ultralight-one-dry-carbon-welding-masks)

YIKES!!! there is no way ever that i would wear a dry carbon hood..... what happens when you are carbon arc gouging or running 6010 open root overhead??? can you say bye bye hood?

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I wonder if you really need more area. I think that the smaller the lens the more efficient it is, (faster response due to physics, and less stress on electronics for same response).

not sure about that, but i can say that the bigger the lens, usually the more it costs.... i have an anolog elite miller hood that i use most of the time... it is a large lens and one of the fastest and lightest in production...jacksons nexgen and speedglass 9100 are right there competitively.... but, you gonna spend serious cash on them...

i have a pancake hood for use where i am in confined areas or multiple welders are working very close.... and i have an old fibre-metal hood when working overhead and CAC (carbon arc cutting/ gouging).... now, ima find some pics of a pancake hood

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Sarge's Pancake Welding Hoods (http://pancakehelmets.com/) <---- for all the pc'ers... the reason why they are in demand is because when working on bigger multi- welder jobs, you can still get flashed by other welders (just wishing some were female....lol...) the pancake shields all light from outside..... it's heavy and cumbersome tho

ISKI
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM
sicfabrications, I see your point.

I finally got to use the mask and it's two thumbs up. Both of my other mask are not as clear when I am not welding. It was very strange to be able to see the work so clearly. I had gotten used to using a 500W lamp as background light. Also this mask is lighter than any of my other masks, and I forgot I had it on. I was under my old welding table adding tabs to the feet so I could put some large cast Iron casters on the legs, and I bumped the mask into the very substantial table as I forgot it was on. Long story short, I now have my first small scratch in the carbon fiber pattern;)

I didn't get the metal cut until it was almost dark, and the solar cell still ran the mask perfectly. This is something my Huntsman has difficulty with (also why I use the 500W lamp).

So it is fast to turn on. It is dark enough when on that I do not need to add any filters. It is light compared to what I'm used to. It looks great, and I would buy it again. If your used to a $299.00 mask, you might not be taking a step up, but if your used to $150.00 mask, I think you will like it.

gilly
08-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I guess I will bite the bullet and get a new longevity hood when I get to order my weldall machine.Might as well start all brand new.

ISKI
08-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Gilly, I have used mine for a day and a half, and like it a lot. As pointed out to me above, it is not a $300 helmet replacement, but for the price it is very nice and I like it. I only have used the smaller lens helmets so I can't compare it to these professional duty models. I also like the look of the faux carbon fiber, but realize that it adds no actual value, and will show battle scars since it has a glossy finish. On the up side, these scratches will allow me to distinguish it from the others;)

gilly
08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Well none of my helmets are auto darkening,so it will be a treat for me to have some new tech.I really don't care what the outside looks like,just want it to work good.So thanks for the info.

Gadget
08-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I've had my Longevity helmet for nearly two years and I still think it is great.

ISKI
08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Gilly, your going to love this one. I have two other auto dark helmets, and this one is much better and cost less.

gilly
08-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Are these helmets totally solar powered,or do they have a battery backup?It does not matter really,i'm just curious.

Gadget
08-15-2010, 08:42 AM
All of the ones I have used have a battery as well as solar.

ISKI
08-15-2010, 10:28 AM
The Longevity, and my Huntsman, have internal capacitors that act as batteries for a short while, but are not batteries. My no-name helmet has batteries and no solar cell. The solar cells are good enough to run off of almost no light. I tested the Hunstman and the Longevity, indoors at night with a single 75W light and then lit a match. This is enough for the auto dark function. I hate the battery operated one as uses up the battery between uses so when I need it I have to get a new battery. I also leave it in the garage where batteries/moisture tend to corrode the battery box.

gilly
08-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Good to know.Are these capacitors and solar cells replaceable?

ISKI
08-16-2010, 04:37 AM
The caps and solar cells should last for twenty years or more. My solar calculator from the 70's is still working fine. They are typically difficult to replace, but not impossible (soldering Iron required). I need to look at my new helmet tonight to see if it has a battery, I didn't a see battery cover etc when I used it, but now I am curious.

ISKI
08-26-2010, 05:48 AM
My stainless steel catalytic converter rusted in half last night after ten years. Turns out it was mild steel on the inside, Stainless on the outside. So I replaced it with a piece of Stainless pipe to match the 2-1/2 inch 304 pipe. It was really dark and raining. I needed to use a drop light to get the helmet to switch on fast. I also had to turn down the darkness since it was too dark to see the seam properly. All in all it still worked just fine. I used radnor 308 rod, and the welds are strong, but not very professional looking;)

gilly
08-26-2010, 06:23 AM
Do you think something might be wrong with the helmet,or that the rod you used didn't burn bright enough.Must be a daylight helmet only.

ISKI
08-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I just worded it poorly. I had the darkness set to max, and could see the weld puddle, but as this was very thin muffler pipe, and my eyes are not so good, I had to adjust the darkness setting to get a good view of the weld. The issue was that I had the darkness setting too high at first. This is my first helmet with this control. My older Huntsman had removable filters to set the final darkness setting on the lcd.

SICFabrications
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
usually exhaust is alumanized steel.... meaning that they basically "poweder coat" the metal with an aluminum/ zinc coating to help prevent rusting and corrosion. 308 rods will weld it, but it will rust out.... solid wire mig is best suited then spray a cold galvanizing paint over your welds

ISKI
08-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Too late, I told you it was dark out;) When she rusts out again, I'll have to address it end to end. I have been using RADNOR rods, and after reading some of these posts I'm left wondering if maybe it's not me its the rods;)