PDA
View Full Version :

Harbor Freight 14" chop saw

Buckcp
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Bought a Harbor Freight 14" chop saw about a week ago, bought an aluminum oxide wheel for it, and have made 6 cuts 1/4" 4" angle iron, multiple cuts on 2x4 1/4" metal tube, and hours cutting 1 1/4" tubing on down. Very satisfied with it for $54 saw with coupon.

whitescout
08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I have been abusing,...err, using one for years!!! :)

Gadget
08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I had the wheel blow up on mine hitting me in the chest and shoulder. Sure glad I had a face shield on. I decided I like my band saw better.

wellis77
08-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Good to hear your success with it. I need to pick one up this year to start cutting 2x4 tube for my car chassis.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

I had the wheel blow up on mine hitting me in the chest and shoulder. Sure glad I had a face shield on. I decided I like my band saw better.

Sounds like you might have gotten out of that pretty lucky Gadget.

Gadget
08-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Good to hear your success with it. I need to pick one up this year to start cutting 2x4 tube for my car chassis.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Sounds like you might have gotten out of that pretty lucky Gadget.

My thoughts exactly Will.

Icutone2
08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Great saw got mine a few years ago. Have fun with it.
Lee

Buckcp
08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Gadget, was it faulty wheel, or did you eat to many cheerios that day ;)

Gadget
08-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Must have been the cheerios. I had been using that wheel for awhile with no issues. I think I got impatient with the slow cut and applied too much pressure.

weldingtwopotatoes
08-11-2010, 01:22 AM
It's a great saw and you can't beat its price. I've had mine for close to a year now and it keeps on going, my only complaint is the angle markings on the clamping plate are wrong but all that's needed is to make a few of your own markings and your good to go.

wellis77
08-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll probably be picking one of these. Are there certain blades that you would recommend?

Freddytk421
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info on the saw lots of people are curious about that stuff.

Icutone2
08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Read the labels on the blades they are for steel or stone. I have used both and it works great with the wright blade got them at Menards cheep.
Lee

gilly
08-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I used a friends HF chop saw,and that thing vibrated sideways while you used it.It had a new blade in it,but that don't mean it's not out of wack.It got the job done anyway.

SICFabrications
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
i have a ridgid abrasive saw in each of the trucks and 2 more in the shop..... so far, it's the best bang for the buck.... great fence, great clamping, and very rigid cuts (to make a pun)

arandall
08-18-2010, 11:30 AM

I had a 3" wheel on a die grinder blow up on me. - Was probably running it a bit too fast. - anyway, the funny thing - the shrapnel hit me in the thigh, and caused a bit of damage (elongated cut), but never left a mark on my cover-alls. - How does that work?

Cheers,
Art R.

wellis77
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Unrelated to chop saws and grinders, but I had a bike accident recently that was pretty much equivalent to sliding into second, on concrete, in spandex shorts. No damage to the shorts what-so-ever, my thigh was mangled...

gilly
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Not the proper ridding gear for sure.Lucky you had any skin left.I know a guy that rides in shorts and flip flops.Or should I say he use to.First time he went down,was the last time for that type of ridding gear.He wears more crap than I do now.Be safe man.

wellis77
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I should change that to BICYCLE... Definitely appropriate gear for that type of bike.

arandall
08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Not the proper ridding gear for sure.Lucky you had any skin left.I know a guy that rides in shorts and flip flops.Or should I say he use to.First time he went down,was the last time for that type of ridding gear.He wears more crap than I do now.Be safe man.

Gilly:
I agree. It always amazes me to see people riding motorcycles in sandals etc.. Aside from the safety aspect, how can you possilbly enjoy the machine if what you're wearing doesn't allow you to control it properly?

I won't even drive a car in sandals - pretty hard to heel and toe with those things on!! For that, I prefer light leather shoes with a thin sole that can't get caught in the pedals.

Cheers,
Art R.