PDA
View Full Version :

Power painter

arandall
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Gadget:
This is a bit off topic, but in another thread you mentioned you were painting your house, and using a Wagner Power Painter.
How are you liking it, and does it have any pattern control for the spray pattern?
I have about 2000sq.ft. of stucco to do, and a lot of it requires plenty of cut-in, with curves and irregular shapes to go around.
I know it's going to take me at least a week if not more to mask and do two coats etc., and I'm considering buying an airless sprayer to do the job, and then selling it when I'm done, since they want $80 per day to rent one.
I'm just trying to decide whether the machine would make the job much easier than brush/roller etc..

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Art,
I have the Wagner model 435 which is a commercial grade diaphragm pump with 2800PSI. There is a slight adjustment for pressure but I have found it better to just crank it up all the way. It will pump latex paint unthinned quite well and gets about a 10" spray width. As I said earlier, I went through about 7 gallons of paint yesterday painting the back of my house twice since much of it was bare cedar shakes. It fills in the gaps between the shakes very well. I don't think the model 435 is available any longer but there are newer models now and I would suspect they will work equally as well. Just don't get a piston type pump, the latex is abrasive and will wear it out in short order. These things work extremely well for cedar and stucco. All you have to do is mask well and spray on a fairly calm day. I didn't see any overspray on other buildings or nearby vehicles but would still suggest picking a calm day. There isn't any real adjustment for spray width other than to reduce the pressure a bit but it does spray a very nice pattern at max pressure. The airless will make the job much easier than roller or brush at least in my case with cedar shakes and I suspect it would save a great deal of time with stucco as well. I suggest doing one side of the house at a time. The paint dries quickly enough that you can go back to the starting point when finished with a side and start a second coat.
Dan

arandall
07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks Dan. Especially for the tip on the diaphram vs. piston pump. That's something I would never have guessed.
Did you use Acrylic Latex? I am trying to decide whether to use that, or "elastomeric" paint. Supposedly the elastomeric is quite good at filling hairline cracks, and is supposedly really elastic, but is more expensive per galon, and only covers half as well as acrylic.

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't know if it is acrylic or not. I will look tomorrow and report back.
I learned the difference between the diaphragm and piston pumps the hard way. I had one of the Wagner painters that had the piston pump, it wore out after about 10 gallons of latex. I replaced the piston and sleeve and got another 10 gallons but that was about the limit of the unit with latex. The piston pump will handle oil based paint better since the oil is a lubricant but it is hard to clean.

Gadget
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
I checked today on the paint Art, it is acrylic latex.