PDA
View Full Version :

Another CNC plasma cut

Gadget
07-16-2010, 06:06 AM
This cut is for a base for the waste oil furnace I am building. It is .270 thick, 16" in diameter. The edges have very little bevel and what it does have is from running the table a bit too slow I think. It was more a widening of the kerf the deeper the cut than a bevel you sometimes get when making circle cuts.

Plasma cutter is Longevity Force Cut LP80 set at 60 amps with 70PSI air pressure.
Feed was 35IPM torch height was set at .062 with a pierce height of .125.
Pierce delay was set to 1.6 seconds, after the pierce the torch ramps down to the .062 cut height.

Dan170917081710

matteh99
07-16-2010, 12:36 PM
That makes me want to work more on my CNC plasma cutter. I have been really busy the past few months though. It would be really useful to have.

Eric

arandall
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Those cuts are looking nice Gadget!!

Cheers,
Art R.

whitescout
07-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Those are some pretty awesome looking cuts!!!!!

2rods
07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I recognize the burner you are making. Built one about 3 years ago and it is awesome. heats my shop too much at times.laughingicon

poodle
07-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Looks like my cutting with a oxy/acc rig (NOT). That thing sure makes clean cuts. Got to get one.

Gadget
07-17-2010, 05:23 PM
If you lived closer you could come over and give mine a spin Poodle.

poodle
07-17-2010, 10:40 PM
I appreciate the invite, but I think that's a little out of the neighborhood. I have never used a plasma, how long do the tips and things last? Can you use regular cutting glasses with one?Just some things I have kind of wondered.

Gadget
07-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Poodle,
The tip usage is kind of dependent on the user and the style of cutting. Tips burn out quicker if you are doing a lot of pierce cuts but still can last a long time if the pierce is started high enough to keep splatter off. You should use glasses that offer the full UV blocking like a welding helmet offers, it gives off the same UV emissions as arc welding. You don't need that dark a glass though. With the CNC I just watch the computer monitor and listen for sounds that indicate a problem. If a problem is suspected I will sneak a peek at the cut but keep the machine between the actual cut flame and me blocking the UV.
You can use a auto dark helmet with the lowest setting if you have to watch what you are doing as in hand cutting. Good face protection too since that can burn as well.
Dan

Bdub
07-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Man that is nice. I wished CNC's were affordable. Perfect cut. Bruce

Kel Fab Creations
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
they are alot more affordable then they used to be. i got my torchmate 2x2 before the price went up and got the introductory price of 2,000, now it is 3,000. you still have to add a plasma cutter, table, and computer/software to that but most fabricators now already have a plasma and can build a table for cheap. sure i could have built my own cnc setup but it was worth every penny in my opinion not having to spend time learning about the electronics side and troubleshooting. they pay themselfs off pretty quick too. i've had mine less than a month and it's already payed for itself.