PDA
View Full Version :

Protecting glass from weld spatter and grinding bits suggestions

PTSchram
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Protecting glass from weld spatter and grinding bits suggestions

I'm repairing horrible rust in a truck and I have to find a quicker and inexpensive way to protect the glass from welding spatter and grinder dust.

I've been cutting cardboard and using duct tape to hold it in place, but it's time and labor intensive and I'm running out of cardboard (I'm not gonna have any boxes to ship parts in!).

Thanx in advance fellas-and if this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll delete it/move it, go away with my tail between my legs, apologize, buy another welder, etc.

Gadget
07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
You posted in the right place PT. I assume you are talking about auto glass in your question. If you have a printing shop in the area check to see if you can get some old offset printing blankets. These typically have a cloth backing and a rubber face. They are usually around .060 to .080 thick. These would lay on the glass without needing tape assuming the glass is not totally vertical. Either that or go to Harbor Freight and see if their cheap welding screens might be heavy enough to block the splatter. I don't know if they are that heavy but you could give them a look. That's about all I can think of, perhaps someone else will come up with a better idea.
Dan
PS
I deleted your other post since it was a duplicate and you indicated you couldn't delete it.
We don't bite here. If you happen to post in the wrong place don't worry. We will either let it stand or if terribly out of place we will move it for you. We try to keep the forum friendly and helpful.

poodle
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I always just used the cardboard. Back 30yrs ago we had some huge asbestos blankets we would throw over the trucks but they frown on them nowdays.

jakazz
07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Hmmm.... a welding blanket...maybe

PTSchram
07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hmmm.... a welding blanket...maybe

Kinda unrealistic for the amount of glass I'm trying to protect.

I gave up and used cardboard and duct tape.

tigqk
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
You might be a "Redneck" if?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I'm sorry but I was going through past posts and could not resist the temptation.
This isn't welding web.

WookieWelding
02-05-2011, 03:17 AM
I use welding blankets

gilly
02-05-2011, 07:42 AM
It may be better to just remove the glass,if it is that close to the rusty areas.especially if it is hard to find that particular piece of glass.I know it's a pain in the butt,but after it's removed,you can go to town on it.Good luck to you.