PDA
View Full Version :

Sand mooring post

Gadget
07-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm going metal detecting on a sand bar Tuesday and wanted more than the anchor to hold the boat. I will be focusing on the detecting and don't want the boat to drift off the bar. So, I made a mooring post that should screw into the sand and give me an extra measure of holding power.

jbman45
07-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice job Gadget! I know where you're coming from, do some of that myself in FL with about a 4' tide so you can get a bit messed up; either hard aground or drifting away! But don't forget the anchor realllly is the right tool; make sure you set that fella right and leave lots of scope and you'll be good.

The auger you made is a great idea though especially for light boats that may drift up on an incoming tide, let me know how it works.

I have a couple of metal detectors too and use them occasionally but haven't found more than nickels, dimes and old pop tops! Stories in FL are about finding those spanish doubloons so good luck! I actually met Mel Fisher years ago, he wanted a thousand bucks to keep his search for the Atolla going....didn't have the cash then....would have been a pretty good deal!!

take care and good hunting...

Gadget
07-03-2010, 07:31 PM
JBman,
I'll be setting both anchors and the mooring post. Can't be too careful. I'll let you know how it worked.
I've found a lot of old coins on dry land with the oldest being an 1800 large cent. I got an 1883 silver dollar out of a lake once too. I'm hoping for enough gold to pay for the trip at least. With prices as high as they are a small ring will do easily.
Dan

arandall
07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Gadget:
That's really neat!! - Where do you find the time?

cheers,
Art R.

KHK
07-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Good idea! nice job.

Gadget
07-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Gadget:
That's really neat!! - Where do you find the time?

cheers,
Art R.

Yeah, it's getting harder to find enough time to do all I want. I just ran another race this morning (5 miles) placing 4th in my age group. Not too bad considering the heat and humidity at race time. Now I have to get caught up with what needs to be done the rest of the day.

arandall
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Congrats on the race Dan. Now - I guess I'll have to get back to my responsibilities too - stripping stucco off part of the house. - Oh joy.

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Congrats on the race Dan. Now - I guess I'll have to get back to my responsibilities too - stripping stucco off part of the house. - Oh joy.

Cheers,
Art R.

I need to finish scraping my cedar shake siding so I can paint the house so I know what you are talking about..oh joy (all lower case with a sigh)

tjjolle
07-04-2010, 04:05 PM
That sounds fun. Im getting my gold detector out too, we have lots of abandoned mines up here. Im hoping to find old tools and coins, but with my neck of the woods being part of the old spanish trail, there is that one in a million chance I could find a buried stash (no banks back then :)) Let us know how you do.

Gadget
07-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I'll let you know how it goes. We are headed there on Tuesday.

arandall
07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
TJ:
Good luck on the Spanish Trail

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
07-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Back from the lake. We got a big 14K white gold ring and an earring with lots of stones. I'll need to check them to see if they are diamonds or paste, I'm betting on paste but this thing has been in the water a long time and the stones are still very shiny. I'll find out in a few weeks when I go to the next club meeting.
The sand mooring post worked perfectly. It augured down into the sand then marrow bottom and wouldn't budge. When we were done it screwed out easily and we were on our way.
Dan

jbman45
07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Boy those are great finds Gadget! I've never been so lucky or good! at it. Were these found in a typical tourist type spot on a lake, not something that may have been there for years and years I would guess.

Glad the sand auger worked well, may have to consider one for use in FL on my visits there. Thanks for the update..

Gadget
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
This sand bar is unreachable by shore but is crowded with boats all summer. The people anchor there and play catch, volleyball, and other games. Plenty of opportunity for them to lose their gold.

wellis77
08-10-2010, 03:06 AM
I like that morring post Dan. What did you use for the auger? My dad has been wanting something for all his hot rod boats and I'd love to build something for him.

---------- Post added at 10:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

By the way, what lake do you generally go to?

Gadget
08-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Will,
I've been going to Gull lake in Michigan. For the augur, I simply cut a circle out of steel with a smaller inner circle cutout for the post. Then cut from the outer to inner in a straight line, put it in a vise, heated it and bent it into an augur spiral shape. You may have to make the inner circle slightly oblong to wrap tightly around the pole.

wellis77
08-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks. I'll do some playing around with that. My family, as well as my in-laws, is full of boaters so a few of these would be great!

Buckcp
08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm still amazed at all the great ideas on this forum. Had you seen something along this line before Gadget?

Gadget
08-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Not really, I knew boaters had some kind of device they worked into the sand and I just figured it was an auger.

wellis77
08-11-2010, 04:39 AM
I've seen the sand spikes, but never the auger. This is far better. I'm going to build one for my dad for christmas I think.