PDA
View Full Version :

Tig with a multifunction machine vs a welding only machine

jdchmiel
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I was looking at some of the mutlifunction machines vs the welding only machines and It appears the Tig machines have more knobs. to me this means there is more confusion but potentially more capabilities with practice..

So my question is, do the mutifunction machines differ significantly to the welding only machines? I want to Tig aluminum, so the 520d is out, but that was the initial machine that got me interested in the possibility of getting a plasma cutter and Tig in the same unit.

Gadget
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi JD and welcome to the forum. We like pictures here so be sure to include some showing your work. Also, keep an eye out for the next contest here. The odds of winning a great new Longevity machine are very good.
The multifunction machines are an excellent value for the money. It is easy to switch from stick to TIG to plasma and all functions work very well. I have the 200PI and frequently weld aluminum. Make sure the unit you buy has AC and pulse. Pulse isn't absolutely necessary but can be helpful.
Please post something in the introduce yourself forum so we can get to know you.
Dan

jbman45
06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Well yes....more knobs.....more complexity...but more features. I fully agree it can get confusing, but to believe you can simplify the TIG process, and include the capability for thin, thick metals; and all is not true. So TIG is complex and the more flexibility you have with a unit, i.e. more controls, the easier you will have it long term.

I have had straight stick welders and gas welders; and set up TIG on DC Only; but moving to a multifunction gave more flexibility including adding AC for aluminum which is hard to do at the multifunction's lower price.

So evaluate what you will want to do with the unit, and if it's lots of the same type of welding then go to a specific unit for that purpose and buy the right unit for that task. If you're like a lot of us and do many different things, the multifunctional unit is really great.

Good luck...

jjb

jdchmiel
06-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I plan on building a CNC router table, and would like to use the plasma with it to for cutting car manifold flanges :) so I think it might be better to go for a separate TIG and plasma vs the multifunction route..

Gadget
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I plan on building a CNC router table, and would like to use the plasma with it to for cutting car manifold flanges :) so I think it might be better to go for a separate TIG and plasma vs the multifunction route..
I suggest the ForceCut LP80 for CNC plasma. You have 100% duty cycle at 60 amps with it which is plenty of power for manifold flanges. I have one on my CNC table and it works very well. I also built my CNC table myself so if you need any help I may be able to assist.
Dan