PDA
View Full Version :

trailer axel

LoneGohn
07-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Has anyone ever extended a trailer axel? I have a 1500# weight capacity carry-on trailer (5' x 8'). It has the 13" wheels on it & i need to extend the axel to clear with 15" wheels. I was thinking of cutting the center of the axel & extend out approx. 4"-5" on either side, welding (mig) the axel back together using angle iron to get the straitness back. Any suggestions? Don't have a lot of money to spend......gas prices you know. :-) Thanks !

bhardy501
07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
I have seen this topic covered in other forums and the most advised remedy to this problem is to get a longer axle. I have also seen where an axle was cut in the center and then a peice of pipe that would just slide over the axle pipe was put in that extended about a foot past the two cut ends when put back together and then welded in place. Ex. if you need to extend the axle 5 in. get a peice of slip over pipe that is 29 in. long. Check Northern Tool and Equipment for axles. They have a good selection that is not that expensive. Is the axle worth saving a hundred or so bucks and run the risk of hurting someone or something?

MAD4metal
08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I have not done this, but this is also what I have heard someone else do . Slip a pipe over cut and welded axle and weld pipe ends to axle after. I guess you could also bolt through the pipe into axle too.