PDA
View Full Version :

Harbor Freight Oxy-Fuel set.

Freddytk421
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
I noticed there was not a specific place for oxy-fuel welding and cutting and that longevity does not have any sets. I really like the HF set for 100.00 they sell extra tips and rosebuds dirt cheap as well. I have 4 sets of different torches victor smith cobra and harbor freight. I use mainly the HF set because I want to see how long it will last and I am trying to "save" the expensive ones for later. I can tell you for a fact that it's just as good as a victor performer set. Thats the medium duty one. the tips are interchangeable with each other as are all the other components. The gauges are good too. Here is a video I made about it and I mean every single word I say. I did this to show my friends how good of a deal it is. I have of course gotten lots of hell from "real welders" but I'd put my harbor freight oxy welds up against theirs any day of the week. It also cuts great up to 3/4" with the included tip and more if you buy a bigger one.twothumbsup
brhsHH_yqHk
here is the cutting with it. 1/2 inch platetwothumbsup
V2DJb20wlOc
Here is a quick lesson on how to use the torch. This is the victor set.
EpaFxai_rsg

Dustendee
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
I plan on getting this torch once I can afford some O/A tanks, I just might get the ones from HF but Im afraid that they will be to small. What do you think?

Hamstn
03-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Hard to tell but the HF unit looks to be the same size as I have. For 95% of my cutting and heating it serves well. So I guess if you need something more then the average 'Joe" you may need a larger setup, but also keep in mind it is easier on the O/A use if 95% of your projects can be done with the smaller unit and fight the project when you need something bigger then to use a unit that is too big most of the time.

Keep an eye out on Craigs list for tanks. Even if they are for another gas usually you can take them in and trade to what you need. Renting is an option also.

Freddytk421
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah I rent mine both for 11.00 a month. You can also get bigger cutting tips and rose buds for it. I can cut 3/4 inch steel no problem with it straight out of the box.

barracuda
03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello Freddytk421 I have a set of smith torches. Really great job with the videos.

Freddytk421
04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the comment on my videos. Here is one I just made with this same cheap ass torch.
7EGmrPiumEU

Dustendee
04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Great video Very detailed!

arandall
04-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Nice job Freddy!

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Very helpful Freddy, thanks.

Makethegun
04-16-2010, 05:52 AM
Freddy,

I bought the torches, they are okay by me. For anyone looking at them with a local store, I got them on sale for $99 and used a 20% coupon, so I got them for $79 and bought the separate tips, a #2 and a #4.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/3-general/images/20_c.jpg (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/3-general/images/20_c.jpg)

Like you said the hoses are real short. I already had hoses and a spare hose connector set so I just added them to my existing hoses to get a little extra reach.

I've only used the junky beat up torches at the places I've worked and the old beat up torches I have so take my comments whatever way you want, but the controls for the gas on the torch seemed better than the stuff I've used, as easy or easier to control the flame.

The extra #4 tip I got kinda sprays the flame out uneven but was still able to use it, though I expected an even flame pattern. It was kinda like a shower head if you had something stuck in the nozzle. I didn't run the tip brush/file in it yet. I just did a quick test of the tip.

Regulators are okay, I don't know if this is common with all regulator gages but the low pressure gage scale was way to high. Since the OA torches are used at relatively low pressures Oxy under 20 and A definitely under 15 for safety reasons the regulators would be better if they 0-50 to see the graduations, I forget what the scale was but on the oxy the smallest graduation was 10psi. Definitely still usable but would be nice if the scale matched the use better.

Overall very pleased with the set, thanks, would not have considered them if I hadn't seen your video Freddy!

KHK
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Anouther great vido, thanks for sharing!!

Freddytk421
04-16-2010, 01:53 PM
You're welcome you all. I make these anyway for youtube I just thought I'd post them here for people that don't use that site. If your #4 does not work properly once you clean it take it back and exchange it, they are cool about that and won't even check your receipt if it's just a swap.

tking
05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
This might be a good way to get a good price on new regulator/gages for a new Meco torch I'd like to buy. My old Victor ones work, but I think are getting a bit glitchy and I know I will need better control with lower flows and pressures. Anyone know anything about having regulators serviced, or would it just be better to buy new ones? Good ones are about $100+ each.

Freddytk421
05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I am not sure about getting them serviced, but they are around 30.00 a piece at HF, and I have not heard of anyone getting exploded with them........yet. J/K they are really good quality brass regs.

poodle
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Great videos. I may have to get me one of these torches to use as a spare. It cost me almost as much to have a Victor reg. repaired (blown diaphragm) as this set cost.

weldingtwopotatoes
07-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm going to need to replace my regulators and I've looked at that set at HF. HF can be tricky they have some good tools but they have some real bad ones too, so it's always good to know which tools are good buys.

ISKI
08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Freddy, thanks as I am looking for an inexpensive set. I have the Oxygen regulator and longer hose, but only have a very old acetylene regulator.

Freddytk421
08-15-2010, 11:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKefi4q7hOY Thanks I made a video about what you need to hook up propane instead of acetylene.