PDA
View Full Version :

OH S!@# CNC problems.

KHK
03-16-2010, 05:36 AM
I finished with the computer tray/support, mounted the monitor, computer, and keyboard. Received the computer/CNC interface board and wired it into the computer's output. Ready to test the board. Upon power up, the board smoked.oopsicon After looking at the set up, and telling GOD about my problem, I discovered that I had hooked up 12vdc to a 5vdc input!! The board cost $70, replacement IC cost $16, the IC's are socketed. I will buy the replacement ICs and HOPE that the board is still good.

Gadget
03-16-2010, 06:05 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that Keith. I think all CNC controllers are 5V. Did you buy that Z axis in the last photo or make it? What is the travel? What brand of controllers are you using? Are you going to run plasma on the table? How is the table construction going?
Dan

KHK
03-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Picture #3 is of the power supply that I was using it has a +12 -12 and +5 volt outputs, I chose the wrong wires to do the hookup. Nothing is IDIOT proof. I bought the Z axis in the last photo on ebay for $59, it has about 1 1/2 travel, the motor came with it. Photo #4 shows The X and Y axis motors and controllers. The controllers are VEXTRA made by Orential Motors.
I am planning on a plasma table, the y axis may be to small to operate a router.
My son's friend has a car with a bad trany. My garage is trashed and I am unable to work on the table until the car is complete.

Gadget
03-16-2010, 06:49 AM
You might find that you have to put the PC and controllers inside a metal shield. The plasma firing and stopping may cause lost steps.
Do you plan on incorporating a THC and if so what type?

KHK
03-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Metal box is on order. What is THC?

Gadget
03-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Torch Height Control A controller that will keep your torch a set height above the metal and follow contours if it warps.

KHK
03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
THC is not in the current plan, I can always add it in the future.

Gadget
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't have one either, it's pretty expensive and I have been getting by ok so far without it. I only have issues with larger panel cutouts.

KHK
05-06-2010, 02:39 AM
In an effort to save money I found some timing belt pulleys on the net that were $2.75 each so I bought 10 of them. Now I have found out that the belts and pulley system is obsolete!!GreenSadeek2icon $27.50 IN SCRAP AL That will make Gadget HAPPY!!applaud

Gadget
05-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Maybe not Keith, I am using pulleys and a belt on my X drive with no problems.

KHK
05-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Gadget, the timilng pulleys that I bought are scrap. There is some belting and pulleys available but the pulleys and belting are no longer being manufactuerd. I need a 12 foot piece of belting and no one can supply it.

Gadget
05-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Keith,
Try Mechanical Components Timing Belts Pulleys Spur Gears Pulley Couplings Bearings Brakes Gear Clutches Shafts Shaftloc Sprockets Retaining Rings Fairloc ConiDrive Manufacturing (http://www.sdp-si.com) they handle a wide variety of timing belts. I just checked there and open end belts come in sizes up to 65 feet.

KHK
05-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Gadget I gave already been on this site. No luck! The pitch is .0816 commonly known as 40DP. The longest belt available of this pitch is 42 in.

KHK
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
This error has cost me a hole lot of time. I will need $130.00 to buy the correct parts. The Y, Z part of the project is on hold untill the end of the month.headbangerheadbanger

A freind droped off some nice roller guides that I will use on the X axis They are a little light, but I think that they will work fine. I bought a 1/4 in trim router from HF for $19.00, I plan on using it with the CNC table. I also added a relay for the plasma cutter. I hooked it up with a three way switch On-Off-ON so that I can select one of three modes. Router on, All off, Plasma cutter on.cheersicon

Gadget
05-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I bought the HF trim router as well. It works but I had to order a couple of new collets and nuts. They bend fairly easily (doesn't help when you hit a clamp). Also the switch quit working within the first hour, I just bypassed it.
I got a Bosch rotozip like new at a garage sale last week for $20. with 1/8 and 1/4" collets and nuts. I will be switching to that when I build a mount for it. It is much quieter too, no whine.

KHK
05-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I wish that I had asked about the HF router. Well, I can always return it.

KHK
10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
My son-in-law gave me a nice RotoZip

I created 4 G code files to make panels to cover all the extra holes in the the E box for the gen-welder project. Set up the CNC table abd started to cut. The cut was hit and miss so I increased the air pressure and amps, and slowed down the movement, it did not help. I cut out one piece, but it took two passes. The kerf was BAD!! I checked over everything, and everything looked OK. I was at a loss!! Went in for diner and returned to check everything again. I finaly found that I did not connect the WORK CLAMP ELECTRODE!!!:oops:

My CNC CUT TABLE is totaly isolated from the CNC table ground. I was cutting with just the pilot arc. The netal thickness is .084. That is quite a machine that Longevity makes!!!!

Gadget
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm embarrassed to tell how many times I've done that Keith. Glad you got it figured out.