PDA
View Full Version :

Anyone try HTP America's Striker Helmets?

SpyGuy
03-11-2010, 05:17 AM
As I often have to work in areas with low light, these helmets are attractive to me because they feature "High Transmission Light State" that provides an advertised light state of 2.75!

The downside is that they are expensive, with starting prices of $175 (for the 3.75"x1.875" window) or $200 (for the 3.75"x2.5" window).

I'd love to hear some real-world feedback on how the Strikers compare to Longevity's or other auto-darkening helmets, especially with regards to the light state.

I currently have a fixed shade helmet that I got with my HTP MIG welder many years ago, plus a cheap-o autodarkening helmet I got from Harbor Freight. The HF autodark is a big improvement over the fixed shade lens, but it's annoying in many ways. My three biggest gripes are the headband ratchet (weak), the flip-down pivots (tension adjustment is terrible), and the fact that it's sensitivity is such that it constantly flickers off/on (light/dark) everytime it catches some stray daylight or work light.

tking
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
SpyGuy,

I bought an expensive (~$200) Hobart or something name brand helmet before the HF ones showed up on the market and my expensive helmet works great in bright and normal light, but I have noticed it does some strange and disturbing things when I am trying to work in low light. My fix for it is to find something else to do or get a bright light to work with. I don't know if this is a common problem, but you are doing the right thing in trying to get comment from others in this regards. Please post any information you might come up with.

Tking

SpyGuy
03-12-2010, 02:01 PM
it does some strange and disturbing things when I am trying to work in low light. My fix for it is to find something else to do or get a bright light to work with.

I've tried illuminating the work area with a work light. The problem is getting balanced illumination. Inevitably there will be areas of bright light and shadows and, as the helmet photovoltaics move in and out of the light and shadows, the lens flashes on and off. This is particularly the case if the work light is in the 180 degree field of view in front of me. But if the lights are positioned to be in the 180 degree arc behind my head, then the light catches in the back opening of the helmet and then I'm essentially blinded by the light filling the inside of the helmet. I've considered adding a hood to the helmet to act as side curtains, but that would probably restrict free-air exchange for breathing.

I'm hoping that the advanced helmets with battery power (or batteries supplemented by photovoltaics) are less prone to this flashing problem.

SpyGuy
03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
My fix for it is to find something else to do

Btw, I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Like get a beer? cheersicon