PDA
View Full Version :

any new jig ideas for plasma cutters

stevehayes758771
02-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Just started plasma cutting had been using a metal cutting saw for years and uping my game would appreciate any ideas

Gadget
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
What type of plasma jig are you looking for. I have seen people use a straight edge, a bendable magnetic strip, and even taping a tracing to the part to use as a guide.
Dan

stevehayes758771
02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
right now we are tuning a 2600 gal propane tank into a bbq smoker and have to cut straight on curved serfaces and also a few 6 foot circles. would like to make a adjustable jig that is worth keeping beyond this project

Gadget
02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
right now we are tuning a 2600 gal propane tank into a bbq smoker and have to cut straight on curved serfaces and also a few 6 foot circles. would like to make a adjustable jig that is worth keeping beyond this project

Here's a thought, get a chain clamp and extend the chain long enough to go around the cylinder and use the clamp to draw it tight. Then fasten a guide plate on the torch with the guide long enough to run along the chain without falling into the chain recesses.

stevehayes758771
02-22-2010, 08:11 PM
I would have to choose the chain carefully so its twisting would not affect the straightness but that might work ,will look at lowe's for an acceptable chain, maybe a thick cable would be smoother, thanks for the thoughts

Gadget
02-22-2010, 08:20 PM
I had originally thought about a rope but a cable might work better. Perhaps a come along will work.

KHK
02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Check this out. The center swivel could made with a u-joint for cutting surfaces that are not flat.
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/plasma-cutting/513-magnetic-circle-cutter.html?highlight=magnetic+circle+cutter (http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/plasma-cutting/513-magnetic-circle-cutter.html?highlight=magnetic+circle+cutter)

I hope you are going to purge the tank with co2 while cutting...

stevehayes758771
02-22-2010, 08:40 PM
i was thinking about a magnet but would need a strong one so it would not slip it think i want a stiff "bar" or rod or something so i could not pull or loose the slack buyt not sure about how to make it infanately adjustable . and tank was already purged and cut on my co-horts in this adventure didnt want to be around for the first cut :razz:

Gadget
02-22-2010, 08:42 PM
If you are cutting around the diameter perhaps a cradle with four wheels would work. Put the tank in the cradle, fasten the torch in a fixed position at the correct cutting height and rotate the tank to do the cutting.
If you only want to cut part way around the diameter you could use a tubing roller to make conduit arcs that fit around the diameter. You could form the arcs and use straight sections of tubing to make a door shaped guide.
I've heard of people using muriatic acid water mix to clean the inside of the tank to insure no flammable residue before cutting, probably not a bad idea.