PDA
View Full Version :

Helmet when plasma cutting?

jonesg
02-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I just tried my plasma cutter, what a neat tool, it cut through painted 1/16th inch steel like butter. Then 3/16th angle steel, same thing, theres no resistence. I started in the middle and blew a hole through the angle.

Surprised the arc is a little blue light , I was extecting a big red flame like on the video. This thing is the cats meow. Maybe I'll ch:pp up that old furnace the landlord can't get out of the basement.

My question is, do you use a welding helmet when cutting?
I thought the light was a bit intense but I hid behind the gun handle.
Do you guys wear a welding helmet or just avoid looking at it?

Gadget
02-16-2010, 09:11 AM
I think the potential for UV damage to your eyes is the same for plasma as when welding so either don't look directly at the flash or use eye protection. You can use an auto dark helmet with it set to minimum safely since the UV filter is present even when the lens is open.

jbman45
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Absolutely wear a welding helmet, it's best if you can get one that adjusts down to somewhere around a 6 I think since most shades of 10 or more are too dark to see what you are doing. If you are going to buy an autodark helmet make sure it has the range you need, 6 to 13 sounds good. I know hte Longevity ones have that range, the HF one I have does not.

SpyGuy
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Not only do you want to protect your eyes from UV damage, but imagine having blobs of white-hot molten metal blow back in your eyes and face!

By all means, wear a helmet! If your helmet is too dark, then you need to buy a one with a lighter shade for your plasma cutting.

LONGEVITY
02-16-2010, 01:58 PM
We have one which is our Elite helmets and it provides UV protection as well as a grinding mode insuring it does not get too dark on you.

KHK
02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Yes! wear a helmet. My Longevity helmet will dial down low enough for plasma cutting, some other helmets will not.

Hamstn
02-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I can tell you you have to have a helmet or at least some sort of protection from the bright arc. Don't ask me how I know but you will not get much sleep when your eyes feel like they are full of sand.

I was going to pic up some O/A goggles to cut with as my HF helmet does not go down far enough to see well enough if you are trying to follow a mark.

SpyGuy
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I can tell you you have to have a helmet or at least some sort of protection from the bright arc. Don't ask me how I know but you will not get much sleep when your eyes feel like they are full of sand.

I was going to pic up some O/A goggles to cut with as my HF helmet does not go down far enough to see well enough if you are trying to follow a mark.

You'll get even less sleep if your eyes are full of slag. 8-O

The problem with using O/A goggles is that your face will still be exposed to UV radiation AND molten metal if you get any blow-back.

Gadget
02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a friend who put welding lenses in OA goggles. He has had carcinoma removed from his face as a result.

Freddytk421
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
I use a #5 full face shield (not a helmet) when plasma cutting or wear a pair of sun glasses with my auto dark helmet turned off if I don't have that handy. I have one helmet with no switch so I cover the sensors with spit wads. I know you are supposed to use a darker shade technically a 9 or 10 but I can't see anything with that on and my eyes are never bothered at all when I do that and the labels say it blocks all uv light even when off.
YouTube - Plasma cutter fairy art (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22yyeeA9WNM)

dfutrellsr
03-09-2010, 01:23 AM
yes, you can burn your eye with a plasma cutter just like a welder!

arandall
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Freddy:

That fairy is "hot". - Really nice freehand work - you have good hands.

Cheers,
Art R.

Don Cook
03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
all due respect, but you can find welding helmets at a lot of garage sales, cheap, even with out lenses. NOW, go to your local welding supplier and get a 5 or 6 welding lens and put it in your new 50 cent helmet. works fine and you can see, you protect your face, and you don't have to put potatos on your eyes at night. at 73, been down that road many times and done that... good luck, remember welding while carrying a white cane is no fun, why gamble....