PDA
View Full Version :

Fender Brace

arandall
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Below is a picture of a fender brace for the bottom front fender of my old '47 Chev Business Coupe project. The stock one won't work because I have sub-framed the car with a Ventura front clip.
The brace isn't rocket science or anything, but it's just another example of how valuable a welder is.
The brace is nothing more than some 5/16 rod, a couple of scraps of 3/16 flat steel, and a couple of 5/16 nuts. I threaded the rod on one end to accept a 5/16 nut, welded the nut onto a scrap of 3/16 steel cut to shape, and drilled a hole in the piece. The opposite end of the rod was flattened and drilled to accept a 1/4" bolt on the bottom of the fender. The steel coupon with the nut welded on bolts to the sub-frame of the car. The fender brace then threads into it.
This allows me to keep the bottom of the fender from flapping in the breeze, and to adjust the stick-out of the bottom rear of the wheel-arch.

Cheers,
Art R.

KHK
02-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Nice work Art!! You don't know how usefull a welder us until you are without one!

Gadget
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Very creative Art. The ability to adjust the length seems well thought out.
Dan

Hamstn
02-13-2010, 06:36 AM
I can relate to the usefulness of a welder, at least the tig function. I can say I dig tig...LOL

Had several old bench grinders in the scrap pile that worked but they were all torn up. I torn them down, cleaned, greased the bearings, and put new wheels on. The biggest issue with them was the shields and rests were broken off so I spent the day building new ones. Could have never done this without the tig...well maybe a mig would have. Cutting round holes to make the mounts was a dream with a plasma.