View Full Version :

Tool free mode changeover - LS200P

02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
LS200P Tool Free Quick Mode Changeover

These are a few pictures of a rig I built for the Longevity LS200P Multi-purpose machine to quickly change-over from TIG to Plasma without the need for tools. No modifications are done to the machine itself.
This allows you to leave the TIG, and Plasma torches, as well as the Foot Pedal connected at all times, and just select which one to use by flipping a toggle switch, and opening the appropriate gas valve. (Of course, you have to also be able to switch between argon, and compressed air on the inlet side of the machine itself.) It allows you to select between trigger, or pedal at any time, and also to use the “Stick” function at will.
With the switch set to “Trigger”, the Triggers on the TIG and Plasma torches are active, and the foot pedal de-activated. In the center “Stick” position, both the triggers and the foot pedal are de-activated, and in the “Pedal” position, the triggers are de-activated, and the foot pedal connected. You open and close the gas valves according to the function you are using (obviously argon for Tig, Compressed Air for Plasma).

To do this, you need an “Inert Gas 411Y” valve, three 7-pin male and one female “DIN” plugs, some stranded wire, and a “triple pole, double throw, on-off-on toggle switch, as well as some fittings, shown in the photos. You build a bus with the DIN plugs and the toggle switch so that you can connect the DIN plugs from the TIG torch, the Plasma torch, and the foot pedal into it, and switch between them as needed, and then plug this whole unit into the DIN plug on the machine. I will include a diagram of the wiring of the bus – it’s not rocket science. Next you have to modify the “Inert Gas 411Y” valve since it comes with a “male” inlet, and “female” outlets, which is opposite to what you need to connect to the gas outlet on the machine, and the torches. This takes a small amount of fabrication, and the parts are hard to find, but can be done without expensive machine shop work. On the inlet end, which comes as “male”, you have to remove the gas nipple, drop off the male fitting on it, replace it with a “female” collar nut, and screw the nipple back into the “411Y” valve set-up. The only problem is the nut is hard to find. On the outlet end, which comes as “female, I sourced a brass compression fitting coupling at the hardware with the correct thread count and style. One end of the coupling threads right into the “411Y”, but the other end has to be modified to fit the gas nipples on the ends of the TIG and Plasma torch hoses. To do this, since I don’t have a lathe, I clamped the fitting into my drill press vise, and used a 1/2” drill bit to concave the end of the fitting. Then I chucked the gas nipple from the inlet end of the “411Y into the drill press , and using valve grinding compound, contoured the fitting to the proper shape. Do this on both couplings, then screw them into the “411Y”. This then allows you to connect both TIG and Plasma torches to the “411Y”, and the “411Y” to the machine. In my cas, I also put a brass elbow on the inlet end of the unit, so that it hangs nicely off ;the machine when connected.
Hopefully the pictures will help illustrate the whole set-up.

Unfortunately, my old LS200P died before I could finish testing the set-up, so be aware of that - do it at your own risk. I returned the machine for warranty, so I couldn’t include a picture of the whole thing assembled on the machine ready for use. In the process, I up-graded to an “LS200PI”, and it has different connections, so it won’t work on the newer LS200PI models.

The biggest problem in this whole procedure is sourcing the parts, but it can be done.

The only issue I can think of which could be troublesome, is that both torch tips would be energized through the “411Y” simultaneously, but I don’t really see why this would be a problem, since you can only use one at a time anyway.

A similar process could also be used for the newer “LS200PI” machines, but because of their design, simple ball valves and a “tee” could be used to split the gas sources, instead of the “411Y”. I am also aware that the pin-out on the torch connectors is different, so when I am able to source the proper connectors, I will draw up a new wiring diagram, and make up a kit for my new LS200PI.

Please let me know what you think

And please be aware, that neither I or Longevity are responsible for any damage done to your machine as a result of this procedure. I am putting it out for your information, and hope you find it useful.

Art R.

02-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks good Art, thanks for sharing.

02-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Cool, could be a market for that.

02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I think that this is a GREAT idea!! The only concern that I have it having more than one electrode hat at the same time.