PDA
View Full Version :

Harbor freight 159.00 band saw.

bhardy501
06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I bought one of the 4x6 in. horizontal bandsaws for around 159.00. This has been a great little saw. Easy to use and cuts very well. A lot of their stuff is flea market quality but occaisionally they get something right.

tat2nu
08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I have been using that same saw for years now. It can be a bit touchy at first and want to jump off of the pulleys but once you get the guides and rollers all lined up properly and the right tension on the blade it is a real workhorse.

Marc

MAD4metal
08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I bought one of their portable metal band saws. The cheap one ( Chicago tool or whatever ). Can't keep the blade on the pulleys either. There seems to be no adjustment for the pulleys. I've looked every where. The best I could do it put duct tape on the drive pulley on the edge it was pulling from and that seems to help. I've come close to throwing this one across the room many times. When this one is gone I will get a good one next time.

weldershane
11-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I was looking at buying this saw.

Mike94531
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
$159??

is the same one that is normally $249??

I have the 4x6 horizontal/vertical unit, built a stand for it so I can drag it around the shop and then put it back in the corner. Need to make some wheel covers for it since the wheels I have are knobbies and collect too much dust/shavings and are a pain to clean...

The "table" it comes with for doing vertical cuts is pretty weak, ended up making one from 1/4 aluminum, even with only 2 screws holding it on, it works much better, now to mill a slot in it for using a guide

fl70
04-10-2009, 06:13 AM
$159??
is the same one that is normally $249??

I have the 4x6 horizontal/vertical unit, built a stand for it so I can drag it around the shop and then put it back in the corner. Need to make some wheel covers for it since the wheels I have are knobbies and collect too much dust/shavings and are a pain to clean...
The "table" it comes with for doing vertical cuts is pretty weak, ended up making one from 1/4 aluminum, even with only 2 screws holding it on, it works much better, now to mill a slot in it for using a guide
I picked mine up when they were $159 and used a 20% off coupon.
I also built a new mobile stand with tray for future liquid cooling.

HerbD
04-10-2009, 07:31 AM
I have the HF 4 x 6 saw also. Out of the box it was just a rough and somewhat crude saw, but after doing the mods suggested in the 4 x 6 forum it really performs quite well. It now cuts square on large pieces and after drilling and tapping the base for additional hold downs it can even cut well on small/short lengths.

Check out the forum 4x6bandsaw (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/). I think you will find many good ideas on making the saw a workhorse at a great price.

HerbD 8)

Uncle Ed
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey MAD, I too have one of the portable band saws. Mine had the plastic drive wheels with a rubber band glued around the edge.

Of course one of those wheels broke when I really needed the saw. I called them and they DO have replacements so I ordered 2 of them (lesson learned when I ordered air compressor parts - orders spares!). The new wheels are aluminum or pot metal without the rubber.

I had planned on just replacing the broken wheel but did both of them and the blade doesn't slip off the guide rollers like it did.

In short, if yours still has the plastic drive wheels you may want to "upgrade" them. :)

Ed

clearchris
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I picked mine up when they were $159 and used a 20% off coupon.
I also built a new mobile stand with tray for future liquid cooling.

Has anyone recently seen one of those coupons that you can use with sale items? I think they may have caught on and made the 20% coupons only good on non-sale items. :(

Sure would be nice to have a bandsaw for 159 - 30$

fl70
06-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I bought one of the 4x6 in. horizontal bandsaws for around 159.00. This has been a great little saw. Easy to use and cuts very well. A lot of their stuff is flea market quality but occaisionally they get something right.
The new 20% off coupon states that the discount is good on current prices including sale prices.
As long as the sale item does not require a coupon, you can use the 20% off.

clearchris
06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
The new 20% off coupon states that the discount is good on current prices including sale prices.
As long as the sale item does not require a coupon, you can use the 20% off.

Mine says: "Cannot be used with any other discount or coupon."

Am I reading too much into that? I'd think "any other discount" would cover sales.

fl70
06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
I have always used the 20% coupons on sale items and have never had a problem.
They had the large blast cabinet on sale for $179.99 and I used the coupon for it, made it $144 plus tax out the door.

clearchris
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh sweet! I didn't realize you could do that. I have let too many 20% coupons go to waste. Seems like they have been sending them out twice a month lately.

HerbD
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Tes! You can use the 20% coupon even on items that are on sale. I hardly ever buy anything that isn't both on sale and for which I use a 20% off coupon. Even my wife is impressed - LOL

HerbD 8-)

clearchris
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I was at HF today, and apparently you can't use a 20% coupon with any other coupon for any other item in the same trip to the register. So that must be what that means.

TyRex
06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I was at HF today, and apparently you can't use a 20% coupon with any other coupon for any other item in the same trip to the register. So that must be what that means.

I've had that happen to me a couple times. I just take my purchase out to my car and then head back in for whatever else I needed.

UnfinishedProjects
12-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Are the 4x6 Bandsaws still holding up? I think I might try to snag one when I'm home