PDA
View Full Version :

thinking about buying a cutter!

cashman
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
All right guys I will be buying a plasma cutter in the next month or so, and its time for me to do a little homework. Any help would be great!!!
The main thing I will be using a plasma cutter for is building and fixing demolition derby cars. I spend quite a bit of my free time in the garage. I am looking for any pointers and info you got, Thanks.........josh

Oh buy the way i am looking at buying either the lp-40d or lp-50d.
(1) what is the advantage of the pilot arc torch ?
(2) Will i be able to cut thru 1/2" with ease and speed?
(3) How much are consumables compared to the other brands?
(4) Is there a dealer in Minnesota?
(5) If I have problems with a machine where do I get it fixed?

thanks.........josh

Hamstn
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Most if not all your questions can be answered on the Longevity web page but I am sure Simon will chime in here and answer also.

In another thread I see you asked about consumable life and here is a good thread to read. http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/plasma-cutting/1487-60-amp-consumables-life.html

You may find more with the use of the search button.

Welcome to the forum.

Gadget
01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
All right guys I will be buying a plasma cutter in the next month or so, and its time for me to do a little homework. Any help would be great!!!
The main thing I will be using a plasma cutter for is building and fixing demolition derby cars. I spend quite a bit of my free time in the garage. I am looking for any pointers and info you got, Thanks.........josh

Oh buy the way i am looking at buying either the lp-40d or lp-50d.
(1) what is the advantage of the pilot arc torch ?
(2) Will i be able to cut thru 1/2" with ease and speed?
(3) How much are consumables compared to the other brands?
(4) Is there a dealer in Minnesota?
(5) If I have problems with a machine where do I get it fixed?

thanks.........josh
Josh,
1. Pilot arc will make an arc even on rusted or painted metal.
2. I cut through 1/2" metal with my LP160P which has a 40 amp plasma cutter but I suggest you look at the specs for the unit you plan on buying. The max cut is listed for each unit.
3. Consumables are quite reasonable, I haven't purchased other brands to compare though.
4. I don't think there is a dealer in Minnesota but check the try before you buy forum link, there may be a owner in your area willing to let you try their unit.
5. Customer support is one of Longevity's strongest features. If it breaks and cannot be fixed by a phone call or board swap Longevity will fix it within the five year warranty period. (will also support it after that but at your expense)
There is a period for new units where return shipping is free, after that you will have to pay shipping both ways for repair.
Each Longevity unit is tested before shipment so your chance of getting a bad unit is greatly reduced. Shipping damage is the biggest threat but even there they are getting better.

cashman
01-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Who is Simon?

I checked the try before you buy thread and there is no one in my area! Heck I had never of longevity until about a month agol, so I am trying to do as much homework as possiable. Any help or advice or expierances would be great.
thanks.........josh

Gadget
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Who is Simon?

I checked the try before you buy thread and there is no one in my area! Heck I had never of longevity until about a month agol, so I am trying to do as much homework as possiable. Any help or advice or expierances would be great.
thanks.........josh

Simon is the owner of Longevity. He is still accessible but Jesse is handling customer inquires now. A call to Longevity should be your next step, they will be able to assist you with making the right choice.