PDA
View Full Version :

New CNC torch mounted today.

Gadget
12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I made a mount for the new CNC plasma torch today and got it mounted to the table. I hope to be able to make a cut tomorrow to try it out.
The torch is a Longevity unit in case you are wondering. It has a pilot arc lead on it so it should work well for CNC. The torch doesn't look true vertical but I have checked it with a level and it is true vertical. The perceived lean is an illusion.

KHK
12-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks Great!!! The torch is vertical, but the camera man is crocked!!
Nice job Gadget

Gadget
12-26-2009, 03:37 PM
And I talk with a lisp too. ;-)

BearNPum
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Looking good, I am going to get that P-80 torch as well when I get my CNC together.

Hamstn
12-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Looks great. I was looking at the place you got the plans from to build your table. I have a project I want to start next fall and so may start looking into it more and picking up parts. May have a few question for you.

Gadget
12-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Looks great. I was looking at the place you got the plans from to build your table. I have a project I want to start next fall and so may start looking into it more and picking up parts. May have a few question for you.

I'll be here when you are ready and will answer any questions I can.
My suggestion would be to look at the belt drive plans they offer. If I had it to do over again I would go that route.
Dan

junes
12-26-2009, 08:57 PM
One day I will make my table one day. Is the machine level as well?

Gadget
12-27-2009, 07:20 AM
One day I will make my table one day. Is the machine level as well?

The machine is on casters but I have leveling screws. Truthfully, I only use the screws to adjust for differences in the floor. If all four legs sit solidly on the floor it doesn't seem to make any difference if it is true level or not. Of course, if I ever to to a water table that will be different.

BearNPum
12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Gadget, I bought the old book of plans that has the belt designs. I think I am going to make something about 4'X4' to 4'X6'.

Probably go with steppers for the cost, and may just put a soleniod on the Z axis to lift the torch (or maybe just a scew height adjust), rather than motorizing it.

I need to get busy on this before winter is over.

arandall
12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Gadget:
I'm always jealous when I see pictures of your CNC set-up.
What is your next project for it?

Cheers,
Art R.

torqueman
12-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Looking good Gadget. Waterjet next? No concerns about playing around with that high of pressure?

hydherc
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
is there and inexpensive cnc or one for a hobbist

Gadget
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
is there and inexpensive cnc or one for a hobbist

Right now it is a build it yourself option as far as I know.
Torchmate is working on a smaller scale (2x2) unit that should be priced in the hobby range though. I don't know if it is quite ready for release yet but they should be getting pretty close.
Here is a link for more information.
2x2 CNC plasma cutter, portable CNC cutting system designed to sit on top of the material to be cut for easy cutting in the shop, garage, or in the field (http://torchmate.com/torchmate2x2cncsystem/torchmate_2x2_cnc_prototyping_sy.html)

hydherc
01-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Is this a machine you can just take out of the box and use i have never used one so i dont know alot about them. what all do you need to use this machine besides the machine

jbman45
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Have any of you artistic types ever made/cut some of the mobiles you see at art fairs. They can be extremely intricate and detailed; I would love to try some simple mobiles free hand or from templates (non CNC) at this point but don't really know where to start. The patterns must be cut then expanded in a clever way, some are spiral and very nicely done. Is there a site that maybe has some examples for us non artistic types??

Gadget
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Is this a machine you can just take out of the box and use i have never used one so i dont know alot about them. what all do you need to use this machine besides the machine

Looks like the machine needs a plasma cutter. Then there are options for different software to run the system. I'm not sure what you would absolutely have to have to make it run. I am guessing the table and controller software is included. Cut layout software would be an option. I use Sheetcam TNC, it is not too expensive, is easy to use, and quite powerful.

hydherc
01-05-2010, 08:37 PM
i am gonna call that place and find out exactly what i need i sure would love to have one of those thanks for the help

Gadget
01-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Have you looked at any of my plasma CNC videos, there are several posted under the plasma cutting forum.

hydherc
01-05-2010, 08:43 PM
not yet i am trying to find my way around this website

hydherc
01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
well i think i have figured out how to get on here now.I just hope working the plasma cutter will be easier LMAO.It should be here tomorrow

hydherc
01-10-2010, 01:22 PM
got my cutter today an dgot it set up man that thing cuts great. I cut some 22ga then cut some 5/8 just took alittle longer and different angle but was thoroughly impressed with this machine especially since i have never used one.Now i just have to figure out setting for best cutting.

Bikespot
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Thats nice , video of it in action.

How precise of cuts are you getting. I wouldnt mind making one but , dont have much need for it. Rather build cnc mill.

hydherc
01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
to be honest it can cut better than my hands hold seemed to cut a fine line just depended on how fast i went and such

bradler451
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow this is a neat idea!!! I saw one of these on how it's made!!! The were welding the seam of metal barrel together by rotating while the torch was perched on the table!!