PDA
View Full Version :

Maxmill from NC

maxmill
12-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Gadget has allowed me to play around here without kicking me out so I finally got around to my introduction.

I'm currently a resident of North Carolina and I most certainly am not a welder...yet

Just got a LS-200PI setup and running stick right now but I'll get the rest up and running shortly.

If I get a camera, I'll be posting picture also (that'll be a hoot!)

weldingtwopotatoes
12-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Welcome. Why would gadget kick you out? He's been a great mod from what I've seen. Have fun with your welder.

Gadget
12-16-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm sure that was meant to be tongue in cheek. I'm not and have never been a dictator.
Nice intro Maxmill. I look forward to your photos.

itsmecord
12-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Got that camera yet....J/K And a LAte Welcome

jonrya91
12-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the forum.

frijoli
12-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Gadget has allowed me to play around here without kicking me out so I finally got around to my introduction.

I'm currently a resident of North Carolina and I most certainly am not a welder...yet

Just got a LS-200PI setup and running stick right now but I'll get the rest up and running shortly.

If I get a camera, I'll be posting picture also (that'll be a hoot!)

Welcome to the forum. None of us were welders at one time! What area of NC? I live west of Winston Salem.

Clay

maxmill
12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
RE: weldingtwopotatoes & Gadget

My tongue was so far into my cheek that I looked like I had grown a priapism. Gadget wouldn't kick me out. For one I would never give him a reason to do so and second he's too cool for that sort of thing.

Ran out of metal for which I haven't found a good source for yet but I'm a bit busy arranging to obtain a compressor right now. I have got to try the plasma cutter after seeing all the video clips.

RE: itsmecord & jonrya91

Thanks for the welcome, late or not. Working on the camera thing. Picked up a Canon despite being forewarned. Of course it broke already (auto focus error). It wasn't what I wanted but I'm sorta short on funds and at under $100 it seemed like a deal. Any suggestions?

RE: frijoli

Thank you for the welcome also. I'm just a bit north of Benson (the I-40, I-95 interchange) in Willow Spring of Johnston County (outlaw land) where the deer are parading around on the streets and with a little bit of help, flying through the air too. Although their landings are a bit rough.

Gadget
12-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Working on the camera thing. Picked up a Canon despite being forewarned. Of course it broke already (auto focus error). It wasn't what I wanted but I'm sorta short on funds and at under $100 it seemed like a deal. Any suggestions?

I use a cheapo GE A735 for all my photos and videos. Costs around $80.00. They may have a newer model now since mine is a couple of years old.

KHK
12-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello and welcome maxmill.
I don't have a camera. My wife has several and every time I take one into the garage I get that LOOK from her. She takes thousands of pictures every year. Thank god for digital!!!

arandall
12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Hello and welcome maxmill.
I don't have a camera. My wife has several and every time I take one into the garage I get that LOOK from her. She takes thousands of pictures every year. Thank god for digital!!!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I borrowed my wife's old Panasonic Lumix FZ20 a while ago to take some shots of my stamp and die set-up for the forum, and forgot it sitting in the shop (in it's bag with the top open) while I was doing some more welding and grinding. - Cold shoulder for a while again there!

Cheers,
Art R.

Uncle Ed
12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum. None of us were welders at one time! What area of NC? I live west of Winston Salem.

Clay

And some of us still aren't! :grin:

Welcome to our little sewing circle, Max.

Ed

Gadget
12-20-2009, 07:06 AM
None of us were welders at one time! And some of us still aren't! :grin:

Ed

Hey!! Don't talk about me like that!! ;-) ;-)

matteh99
12-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a old version of one of these

STYLUS-550WP (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1445)

Shockproof Waterproof Digital Cameras Olympus (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp)

My old one is very tough and water proof. I have taken in snorkeling in the ocean a few times and it works great. I wanted a camera I could take any were and not worry about wrecking it.

Pentax also makes a water proof camera but I haven't tried one.

Just saw your price range for a camera. My suggestions would cost more than that .

I have a Canon DSLR and it takes better pictures and is faster but I have to worry about not wrecking it.

Eric

bradler451
12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
is the 200 pi good for aluminum welding?

frijoli
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
is the 200 pi good for aluminum welding?

A rough ballpark is 1 AMP per .001" thickness MAXIMUM. In other words you should be able to weld aluminum UP to .2" at 200 amps.

Keep in mind duty cycle, and HEAT. Aluminum needs a lot of it. So if you preheat you metal, you can weld at a quicker pace which helps stay in the cycle.

200pi should do well for anything below 3/16" thick.

Clay