PDA
View Full Version :

My FIRST Welding Project!

gamg
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey all!

Well, I FINALLY got up the Testicular Fortitude to attack my first welding job....

After MUCH wailing and gnashing of teeth getting my Unit up and running (First LC-518D EXPLODED on me-after ONLY 2 minutes of use, and SECOND unit sent I had the TIG torch MELT in my hand...). I will give a strong Kudos, though, to Jesse and Simon for being AS supportive as they were...

So, I will show you a few pics from my recent Shock Absorber Perch Repair on an old G-Wagen.

PLEASE be nice, and not laugh at my welds... My only welding experience is from a BOOK, so take it easy!

Cheers,
G

gamg
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
part2 part2

LONGEVITY
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Really nice work and description. The welds look good. I think toward the end, you have a bit of a crater hole, but i cant tell from the pics. Did you first tac it on and then ran a full weld?

gamg
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Really nice work and description. The welds look good. I think toward the end, you have a bit of a crater hole, but i cant tell from the pics. Did you first tac it on and then ran a full weld?

Thanks for the encouraging words..

If by "crater", you mean the 3rd photo from the top,,,, this is the bracket itself.. at the lower end, it is meant to be separated by 4 or 5 mm. It gives the illusion of a crater..

If this is NOT what you were talking about, PLEASE advise, as I am really interested in learning the correct methods..

And NO, I did not tack it down first... I had the piece very securely attached, and just went for it...

inot
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
after ONLY 2 minutes of use, and SECOND unit sent I had the TIG torch MELT in my hand...
OUCH! How did that happen?
So, I will show you a few pics from my recent Shock Absorber Perch Repair on an old G-Wagen.

PLEASE be nice, and not laugh at my welds... My only welding experience is from a BOOK, so take it easy!

Cheers,
G
Looks good to my amateur eyes!

torqueman
12-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Darn good looking for a first weld.

LONGEVITY
12-14-2009, 05:06 PM
I was referring to the 4th pick clockwise from top set of pictures. The weld has a tiny circle in the middle. Did you start there or end at that location? The tiny whole is at the bottom of the pic on the weld and in this photo it looks like a tiny crater hole. Usually caused a the end of the weld. Most of the time, you need to fill in more rod there to not have it puddle. I asked our welder and it does not really effect the sturdiness of the weld and it being especially that size.

Still you have a very strong and pretty looking weld.

junes
12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
In that picture he traveled down. As for the crater there is a little bit of one but not too bad especially in this aplication not a bit deal. In other aplications craters are a huge deal and anyone who says otherwise just don't know what they are talking about. Over all thay lead to premature weld failure and quick. Why does your "weldor" say they are not a big deal?

jonrya91
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Job well done.

KHK
12-14-2009, 06:52 PM
The weld looks great!!! Nice job.

itsmecord
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Good job man ! Looks good to me.

junes
12-14-2009, 07:47 PM
For the record it looks good

gamg
12-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I was referring to the 4th pick clockwise from top set of pictures. The weld has a tiny circle in the middle. Did you start there or end at that location? The tiny whole is at the bottom of the pic on the weld and in this photo it looks like a tiny crater hole. Usually caused a the end of the weld. Most of the time, you need to fill in more rod there to not have it puddle. I asked our welder and it does not really effect the sturdiness of the weld and it being especially that size.

Still you have a very strong and pretty looking weld.

Firstly, thank you all for your very kind works... I guess I though my first post was going to be the proverbial "Clay Pigeon" and shot to pieces... You are quite a friendly bunch..

Ahhh, I see what you mean by the 4th photo... Actually, the bottom edge of the weld was a grinding "mishap".... While knocking off some rust from the "pipe" structure, I "nicked" the lower edge of the weld, giving it that "shaved" appearance... Remember, this is the first time I've used a grinder, as well! Ha ha.

Cheers to all,
G

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

OUCH! How did that happen?
Looks good to my amateur eyes!

Well, I'm not sure..

Since the whole concept of welding/plasma cutting (still) scares the fecal material out of me... I thought is was my "imagination" or lack of experience when I was TIG welding for the first time, and for the first few seconds.. I started thinking... Hmmmm my hand feels awfully HOT! so I let go of the torch.... The torch head, literally, melted at the junction of the hose/torch and fell apart. Some sort of defect... as was the 5 Mofits "exploding" on the first (of 3) machines sent.

But again, I give the HIGHEST marks to Longevity for backing me up... And just to let everyone know, this was the ONLY reason why I even CONSIDERED buying a Chinese made machine.... because of Simon, and his numerous examples of how he "made things right" for those customers before me... Kudos!!

G

matteh99
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
It looks better than my first welds that's for sure.

In the 4th picture down the bottom right hand side of the weld looks like it didn't flow in as nicely as the rest of it. It is a bit hard to tell but it looks like the bead is kinda sitting on top of the base metal on the right hand side.

I haven't been welding that long and I am not a pro so I could be wrong.

Eric

BearNPum
12-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Nice little project. Sure this is your first time? You are a fast study.

arandall
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Congratulations! - looks like you're on your way.

Cheers,
Art R.

bhardy501
12-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Good job. the only wat to get really good is lots of practice. You are well on your way though. We had a saying at the Fire Dept about training "If you aint burning you aint learning" this holds true in welding also. The only way to learn is to keep burning. Keep up the good work.

junes
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I like that fire dept saying haha we have to come up with one for welding.

Hamstn
12-16-2009, 09:02 AM
What a great job for first time. A very well done post.

bradler451
12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Ur bead look so good i have never used a tig but oh man haha i cant wait how long did this job take u? The welding portion.

junes
12-27-2009, 09:06 PM
You do know he didn't tig that right? He mig welded all of that.

gamg
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Ur bead look so good i have never used a tig but oh man haha i cant wait how long did this job take u? The welding portion.

Hey!
Actually I MIG welded the perch.

After removing the old rusted perch, and prepping the surfaces... the Welding time took only a few minutes.. I was able to do the upper and outer portion in one flowing bead. Then the medial and lower sections.

I was shocked to see how fast and easy it was, once everything was prepped.

My TIG machine is for my up-coming Body Panel Rust Remediation project...

bradler451
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Ooh wow yes i just checked that out im sorry i am new to this forum looks good though!!!!