PDA
View Full Version :

Harbor Freight 4 1/2 Angle Grinder

inot
12-13-2009, 08:23 AM
The orange Harbor Freight 4 1/2 angle grinder is a great bargain if you combine the sales with the 15 or 20% off coupons. Since last summer I have been buying these when I can get them for less than $15. I have accumulated three. I now keep one setup for grinding, one for cutting, and the third has a flap disk.

Some people recommend opening up the case and adding extra grease. I throw a big spoonful of grease on top of the gears first thing and seal it back up.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/4179934878_eb01286c42.jpg

itsmecord
12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
IMHO your can't go wrong with the HF grinders.I always get the warranty and if/when I burn one up I just take it in and they hand me a new one.No questions. The grease is a good idea,one I have never tried.

inot
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
IMHO your can't go wrong with the HF grinders.I always get the warranty and if/when I burn one up I just take it in and they hand me a new one.No questions. The grease is a good idea,one I have never tried.

I don't know if adding extra grease makes the grinders last longer, but it makes me feel like I am doing something to "beat the system" and get extra life out of a cheap tool. :)

arandall
12-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree. I too have three 4 1/2" grinders, one with a grinding disc, one with a wire brush, and one with a cut-off wheel, in addition to a 7" with a sanding disc. You can never have enough grinders it seems. - Also, I'm not sure it pays to spend a lot on one, given the harsh environment they have to work in, and the abuse I seem to be able to dish out. I spent a lot on a DeWalt, and about $20 on the other two, and the DeWalt is starting to sound pretty rough, while the others seem to still be OK. - They all have about the same time on them.

Cheers,
Art R.

jonrya91
12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Seems like a good grinder for the price. I just bought an auto dark helmet from HF and it rocks! Can't beat it for 50 bucks.

Dustendee
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the same goes for every tool you own(with moving parts) if you greese it up and take care of the tool it will take care of you granted there are those "lemons" out there that will break once you touch it but that is the manufactures fault not the buyer. I have had my HF 4 1/2 grinder (orange) for about a year plus now and I did the same thing, I broke it open and greased it up pretty well and that little thing will probably out last me, every now and again I will break it open and just to make sure all is well.
Thanks for the post inot! cheersicon

steveo928
03-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I lovvvvvveeeeeee this grinder!! it works so well for everything, and if it breaks im only out 15 bucks. It RULES. although the harbor freight grinding things like the cutin disks kind of sucks but there good enough.
check out my youtube for more harbor freight reviews like welding helmet, welder, making a grinder one today in fact.
-steve

Gadget
03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
I lovvvvvveeeeeee this grinder!! it works so well for everything, and if it breaks im only out 15 bucks. It RULES. although the harbor freight grinding things like the cutin disks kind of sucks but there good enough.
check out my youtube for more harbor freight reviews like welding helmet, welder, making a grinder one today in fact.
-steve

What is your YouTube name Steve, the same as it is here?

tjjolle
08-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I too have HF grinders. I have never thought of adding grease, but think I will start doing that from now on. Ive burned up name brand stuff before my HF tools have petered out. Cant go wrong for the price.

JJW
09-20-2010, 11:49 AM
+1 on opening up the gear case and adding grease. I've done that to both of my HF grinders.
Regards,
JJW

Kel Fab Creations
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
i may have to add some grease to mine also. thanks for the tip. i have 4.