PDA
View Full Version :

Improvements to foundry gas burner.

Gadget
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I have been having a problem getting the right air flow for the propane burner in my foundry furnace. I put a T pipe on the air inlet to give me better adjustment.
I will put a spring held baffle over the end which should allow free flow past the furnace when open but gently force more air down the burner tube as the flow is restricted by closing the baffle. The larger end is just big enough to allow a tight fit for my vacuum hose adapter.
I did the coping for the pipe with my cutoff saw just eyeballing it, it turned out pretty well, no gaps and I was able to get a good weld.
I still have to weld a mount and pivot point for the baffle, I'll do that tomorrow. I plan on another melt tomorrow and will probably take a video of that and post it.

jonrya91
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Looks pretty cool. Should be neat to see how it works.

torqueman
12-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Looks like it would work. Burner design is one thing that baffles me on what method is best. Some people say forced air others are the venturi believers. I'm still not sure what method is best.

Gadget
12-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I could never get the naturally aspirated burners to work. It may be due to the vent in my furnace being too small (formerly electric furnace). I have found the best results with forced air for propane and WMO.

torqueman
12-13-2009, 09:12 AM
My venturis are working fine but are a bit of a pain to adjust and I suspect use more gas. At the time many of the guys in the blacksmith forums were able to convince me they were the way to go. If I had to do it again I'm still not sure which way I would go.

itsmecord
12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Looks good gadget,I really need to do some reading and get started on building my own stuff like this !

arandall
12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Dan:
Have you ever put a lot of work into that furnace! It must be a labor of love.

Cheers,
Art R.

itsmecord
12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Yea,but I bet its all worth it !

Gadget
12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
It's very satisfying to take some scrap, melt it down and make something useful from it. The burner mod worked like a charm. I have posted a video of it in action along with my successful pour.

bradler451
12-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Yet another reason for me to buy the 200pi haha those welds look so clean. I like people like u. People that dont wait for a professional to do the work u like to understand and fix ur own stuff great job