PDA
View Full Version :

Ammeter gets stuck on 200pi

Uncle Ed
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Been playing with the toy a bit before posting my review but I think I ran into a snag.

I was trying out Tig using just the torch trigger, DC, and the amp display sticks at 27 amps no matter where the knob is. The welding current DOES change but the display does not.

I'd set it at 40, run a small (and crappy) bead and when I stop welding, the display is at 27. After a minute or 2 it will free up and display correctly (I hope).

While not a big issue so far, it makes dialing in a slow process.

Has anyone ran into this?

Ed

jbman45
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Is your pulse mode OFF; if it is ON your display will be showing either the pulse amperage or the base current depending on which is higher; and won't probably vary. Setting pulse is easy but you have to get used to the thought process. I use a pedal which add's one more variable. But to answer your question, just check and make sure pulse mode is off and see if you then have a full range. You can also check to see if you have full ranges on AC Stick and on Cut as well (50 on cutting).

matteh99
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
The display on my old 520 was a bit goofy. Once or twice it stopped responding changing the process selector switch seemed to fix it. Or turning it off and back on again. The replacement one hasn't had any problems yet. (it got replaced for a fan issue)

Uncle Ed
12-21-2009, 11:35 PM
It appears to be the post flow control and it seems to be working as designed. I had not realized that controls for use with other processes had to be zeroed.

However, I read that in cutting mode, I would be able to restart the plasma at any time. It won't restart until the cutters built-in post flow delay just about expires.

It's hard for me not to reach for the mig when I get frustrated - but I am hanging in there. I was able to make two satisfactory aluminum repairs.

Ed

jbman45
12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
I'm not sure what others do but I turn my post flow down almost to zero when I plasma cut which makes the arc restart very quick. I don't think there is much of a cooling issue required with post flow but could be wrong on that one. But yes to restart the arc it has to cycle off of post flow.

Hang in there, MIG is ok if you reallly don't want to learn how to weld and you have no patience....TIG is the way to go for fine work....One of my good buds is a 40 year fully cert welder and doesn't own a mig, he does it all with two trailblazers and mostly DC arc; along with a dynasty for his TIG work.

junes
12-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Hang in there tig takes years to get proficiant and a lifetime to master. I have ALOT of hrs professionaly welding and still learn everyday. Hang in there and it will become second nature. I also turn down the post flow on my plasma with no problems.