PDA
View Full Version :

metal prep with muriatic acid

inot
12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I was watching a video on TIG welding the other night, and the instructor recommended dipping material into muriatic acid to remove rust, scale, or galvanizing, followed by a water bath to remove the acid. Do any of you use this method? Could I use brush with an acid solution, or do parts need to be submerged for the process to be effective?

Gadget
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't think I would use acid at all but if you decide to don't use a brush. The splatter from a brush could get on you, your clothes, or in your eyes. Muriatic acid is very strong and can burn badly.

junes
12-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I used it once to clean thick aluminum before tiggin it so i would get a clean weld. That stuff was horrible. It was not worth it it took more time then I was worth.

jonrya91
12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree that i would pass it up all together. We used to use it at a bike shop to clean gas tanks before lining them with epoxy. Nasty stuff and you will get chemical burns in a hurry.

You don't want to heat the stuff up from welding and breath the fumes...

depotdan
12-08-2009, 03:21 PM
With the proper PPE,(Personal protective equipment) Clear face shield an apron and some rubber gloves. The muriatic acid can be brushed on with a tinning acid brush, When applied to galvanizing it takes the surface shine away but doesn't actually remove all the coating, creating a good surface to apply solder, or paint primer on such hardware as cap bolts and fender washers. The only effect I don't like is that the acid doesn't come in small quanities at the hardware store. Acids should be stored in seperate containers away from oxidizers and flammables. Be cafeful, Handle with Care.

junes
12-08-2009, 08:27 PM
What are small quanities to you? At the welding supply store I go to I bought a half gallon of the stuff already diluted and ready to use. They also had smaller sizes if you needed it.

depotdan
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
The truvalue or ace hardware had quart size. Now ihave had it in my chem storage chest for 6 years, I did use it recently.on galvanized pipe I painted.The closest weld store closes at 4pm and is closed on the weekend. So I really have to be in a "Pickle" to go there! But thanks for asking!

weldingtwopotatoes
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Another option is using Magic Acid. It's a Muriatic Acid replacement but it doesn't burn human skin. I've been using it to clean copper and it's much nicer to use than Muriatic Acid.

inot
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Another option is using Magic Acid. It's a Muriatic Acid replacement but it doesn't burn human skin. I've been using it to clean copper and it's much nicer to use than Muriatic Acid.

We used to get some magic acid years ago, but I don't recall being able to clean metal with it. It did do a pretty good job of cleaning out the noggin... :)
A search on Google found something called Acid Magic from Certol that is promoted as a replacement for muriatic acid. This product looks to very useful. I wonder if I can buy it locally?

weldingtwopotatoes
12-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Oops, got the acid wrong, my dyslexia setting in. You have it right it's Acid Magic. I got mine at Ace and I've seen it at Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart. It's fairly common at least in my area so I don't think you'll have trouble finding it.

inot
12-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Oops, got the acid wrong, my dyslexia setting in. You have it right it's Acid Magic. I got mine at Ace and I've seen it at Home Depot, Lowe's and Walmart. It's fairly common at least in my area so I don't think you'll have trouble finding it.

If it is not too expensive I will give it a try. Thanks!