PDA
View Full Version :

Plasma cutting

Gadget
12-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I had the opportunity to work on a project that took advantage of the Super 160P's plasma cutting capability. I have done some test cuts to see how the unit works but this was the first time I had a project that needed some cuts.
I must say, this thing is nothing short of awesome when it comes to cutting. it's fast and when using a guide bar the cut is very straight.
I used the stick welding function on this project as well. Again, the more I use this welder the more impressed I am.
I have included a photo of the unfinished cuts I made today. This is steel about .180 thick.
I am convince I can sell my Lincoln 225A AC welder now. This unit does it all.
Gadget

http://dcdetec.com/welding/cut.jpg

ldangelo
12-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Gadget,

Me Again (is anyone else here?)...

I tried my plasma cutter tonight... I've never used a plasma cutter and there are no instructions. Can you give any 'tips' on using the plasma cutter? I got mine to work (sometimes)... I could not always get it to initiate an arc???

I had the following settings:

1) 75 psi of air.
2) DC
3) No-pulse.
4) Ground on workpiece.

It would initiate the arc/cutting about one out of 10 times? Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Also, once the arc/cutting intiates do you drag the tip on the work piece or try not to touch the work piece?

-Leo

Gadget
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Leo,
I have found that you must have a very clean starting area. Bare metal or it has trouble getting started.
I was dragging but the last cut I made I lifted the tip ever so slightly and was still able to continue the cut.
I have had my unit set on DC and pulse and 70PSI. I don't know if the pulse is needed or not but that is where it worked for me so far.
I have had times where it wouldn't start easily too. I usually loosen the ceramic air nozzle and turn the tip with my hands slightly and retighten, that usually does it.
I think I would also wiggle the ground clamp to insure the best ground possible. It took me a bit of playing around to see what works but it has always cut the work.
On a comical note, the my son was over for Christmas. I wanted to show him how cool the plasma cutter was and tried to start a cut.
I could get just a hint of a spark and tried changing the tip and nozzle and fiddling with the dials but nothing worked. I was about to give up and started winding the plasma cable up. That is when I noticed the ground wire was still coiled in the welding cart. Once I connected the ground, it cut on the first try.

ldangelo
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM
HA! That's funny... I've done similar things :oops: trying to weld without ground... trying to weld without gas, the list is long and quite embarrassing...

I noticed that I had an easier time starting my arc with a lower air pressure. I set mine as low as 40-45psi and was able to start a consistent arc (better than 50% of the time)... I will try cleaning the metal better and see if that improves the arc..

Thanks for the help!

BTW) did you use some kind of a 'guide fence' to cut that straight? I was thinking of clamping a piece of angle iron to the piece and resting the side of the torch against the angle... ever tried this?

-LeoD[/i]

Gadget
12-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Leo,
I had a straight edge as a guide. I have tried strips of metal about 3/32 but found the curved edge of the tip allowed the tip to ride over it. I am now using a piece of aluminum that is 1/2" thick. I run the ceramic cup along this edge. The real trick is to go slow enough that you don't have to back track too much.
Something else I learned today (again on the slightly funny side) If you clamp the edge, make sure the clamp is back from the edge. I had a nice straight line right up to that point and had a nice curved cut around the clamp pad. I moved the clamp and recut but it didn't turn out as smooth as I would have liked.
Gadget

fredpick
01-17-2008, 08:13 PM
How would you like to turn on a welding machine and you got the leads to another machine in your hands,That was a dirty trick wasn't it, I still mess with him about that one.....anyway!

A suggestion on cutting,grind the scale or rust off the surface,even the pitts if you can,NO paint,or grease ect.
A piece of angle iron allows you to make a straight cut and keep the depth of the torch at the right height,also a skate wheel attached to the torch helps make it a smooth travel,
Cutting thin metal lean the torch into the direction you're going,in other words
if your cutting right to left angle the torch (top) to the right so the tip points left,watch the slag as it comes off,when it looks like a stream of liquid running off it's at the right speed and temp.slower it blobs up and to fast doesn't cut.
cut thick metal with the torch straight in like at 90 degrees,look at the curf to see what I mean,hope this helps someone!

my 2 cents,
fred

fredpick
01-17-2008, 10:45 PM
those look pretty good!!!!!!!!!

Gadget
01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I like the skate wheel idea. I will have to try it. Thanks for the other tips as well.
Gadget

fredpick
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I am building a cutter table for the plazma torch,GADGET has sent me to a good cnc site, Would anyone know where I can obtain some of the alum tracking guides new ones are cost prohibitive or any Ideas,I thought about using angle ^ and make a drive to run down it, any ideas are welcome and I will do a post when it's running with how to's and where i got parts,
Thanks for any help!!! :D

johmquincy
01-18-2008, 06:10 PM
I had the opportunity to work on a project that took advantage of the Super 160P's plasma cutting capability. I have done some test cuts to see how the unit works but this was the first time I had a project that needed some cuts.
I must say, this thing is nothing short of awesome when it comes to cutting. it's fast and when using a guide bar the cut is very straight.
I used the stick welding function on this project as well. Again, the more I use this welder the more impressed I am.
I have included a photo of the unfinished cuts I made today. This is steel about .180 thick.
I am convince I can sell my Lincoln 225A AC welder now. This unit does it all.
Gadget

http://dcdetec.com/welding/cut.jpg

Hey gadget and everyone else. I have to agree 100% that this machine really does do it all. The capability of this machine is amazing. This cuts just like a miller if not better, just gotta say wow. Hope to have some picture up here of my projects im gonna start. So long until next time

Gadget
01-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Looking forward to your pictures Jonny welcome aboard.
Gadget