PDA
View Full Version :

Battery box bolts

matteh99
11-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I have been working on making a new battery try for the bulldozer. The first step was to get the old tray out. Which was easier said than done. The bolts were so badly rusted that they practically didn't have heads on them any more. I managed to get two of them out with vice grips but the other two were to badly rounded. I tried grinding flats on them but didn't have any luck. I decided to try welding nuts on top to see if I could get them out that way. It worked wonderfuly. I think the tray was mostly rusted because of a leaky battery so the threads of the bolt were fine it was just the head that was gone.

I started on making a new tray but it needs some modifications before it will work and I don't have any pictures of it.

KHK
11-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Good idea!! I have welded a Allen wrench to a striped out set screw, that works very well.

arandall
11-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Good trick man!
Did you use an oversize nut, slip it over the stub, then weld the center up?

Cheers,
Art R.

torqueman
11-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Briant. I would have never thought of that. Thanks for giving me a new trick to try.

matteh99
11-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Not only does it give you something to turn the heating and cooling helps break the rust free. The TIG welder worked great for welding the nuts on. I was able to add heat without adding filler to quickly.