PDA
View Full Version :

Today's CNC cutouts.

Gadget
11-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I created the machine code for the TIG torch stand and cut two of them out today. I am now using the 100 amp torch with the new mount and it cut extremely well. There was almost no slag on the bottom of the piece.

The first photo is the front of one and back of the other. The second photo shows how little slag I got from the cut. The second two are welds of aluminum angle to the piece to mount the magnetic base. The last is the finished pieces.

The best one is going to Keith for his birthday. Happy Birthday Keith.

Dan

weldingtwopotatoes
11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Nice cuts Gadget. I know these are aluminum but I have been cutting some stainless freehand and it requires a lot of clean up and I was wondering how much cleaning of the cut area is needed when you make a cut on stainless with your CNC?

Gadget
11-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Nice cuts Gadget. I know these are aluminum but I have been cutting some stainless freehand and it requires a lot of clean up and I was wondering how much cleaning of the cut area is needed when you make a cut on stainless with your CNC?

So far, stainless has been pretty messy and the slag is very difficult to clean up. I haven't got any more stainless but when I get some I will try it with the new 100 amp torch. It sure made a difference in aluminum, almost no cleanup needed.

arandall
11-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Gadget:
Nice! Those cuts just keep getting better.

Cheers,
Art R.

KHK
11-22-2009, 12:11 PM
They look very nice and thanks for the BD present! I WILL use it !!

Bikespot
01-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Not bad , glad to see something being made.

junes
01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Well done gadget well done. You should go into business making them.

KHK
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I finally finished the torch holder with a magnetic base. I used a audio speaker magnet. I have used it several times It works GREAT!!!

Hamstn
01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Looks good Keith. What is the insert material you added to the holder?

KHK
01-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I just added the magnet, Gadget put some type of plastic tubing on it.

Hamstn
01-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Ok it is the tubing that I am seeing and wondering about. Great idea Thanks

tking
01-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Gadget,

I think I have managed to read through all of the CNC related posts now and I really admire your work and posts. This has really sparked my interest. I can only imagine how one of these machines could have improved on past projects and future ones. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. If you were to build another CNC machine, would you use the belt drive machine plans from Solsylva (http://solsylva.com/cnc/belt_drive.shtml (http://solsylva.com/cnc/belt_drive.shtml)), or do you have other thoughts now? Also, I see you have used other plasma machines earlier but you are now using the 100 amp machine, is there are reason for this other than you are going with the most capable cutter for the CNC?

I just ordered the WeldAll 200PI and am anxious to get it in my hands. A CNC machine might be one of my first projects. After watching some of your videos I almost hate to start hand cutting parts for a small drill rig I have to fab up. Its going to sure beat using an angle grinder, chop saw, and a gas torch though.

Thanks for the forum and all of your posts. Great resources. I'll be posting more when I get my machine.

Toad
Denver area

LONGEVITY
01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Toad,

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Gadget informed us he would be going on vacation so I am sure he will respond after. We should have more information on CNC tables as well shortly.

Gadget
01-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Hi Toad, I just got back in the country late yesterday. The belt plans shown are what I would go with if I had it to do over again. It can easily be changed to suite your table size needs. The rapid speeds and cut speeds will be higher using this method. Also, I have the LP80D not the 100. I went with this because the unit has a 100% duty cycle at 60 amps which is usually the most power I use when cutting on the CNC table. I don't have to worry about programming pauses in the cutting to allow the unit recovery time that way.
Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have about the unit or CNC, I am here to help if I can.

tking
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Gadget,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about the duty cycle part of the puzzle. I'll never do enough cutting to warrant a dedicated machine so I will get by with the 200PI and plan on pauses if I think I will be pushing the limits.

I didn't see that new torch of yours listed on the Longivity site. Did I miss it or is it something they handle and haven't advertised yet?

Thanks for all of your input on this site. Hope you had a good trip.

Toad

Gadget
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Toad,
The torch hasn't been listed yet since Simon just located a source for them. I have done some initial testing of the torch and find it cuts better than the 60 amp torch I was using. It is a P80 torch of straight design making it easy to mount to a CNC table. I've been busy casting parts for my home brew milling machine lately and haven't had time to do much cutting on the CNC to test it beyond the initial 30 or 40 inches of cutting on quarter inch stock. It really performed well on that though. Hardly any slag and no bevel on circular cuts. The bevel on circular cuts is kind of an issue with CNC plasma, if you can get a cut with no bevel you are doing good.
I just returned from a Carribbean cruise so yes the trip was a nice one. Good to be home again though. I have been away from my toys for almost three weeks now.
Dan

waterjetapw
08-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Not bad , glad to see something being made.