PDA
View Full Version :

Drill Press Problems

arandall
11-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I have a floor model drill press that has ticked me off ever since I bought it.
The chuck is retained friction fit by a Morse Taper.
Every time the drill bit chatters - even a little, the damn thing falls out - very annoying.
Does anyone have any tips for a remedy? I have tried lightly sanding the taper with 600 grit wet/dry, with no improvement. - Naturally, the problem is worse with bigger bits chucked in.

Cheers,
Art R.

KHK
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Take a piece of carbon paper, cut it to wrap around the shank of the chick shaft. Place the shaft in the drill press and lock it in using the normal drill lever.(like you were driling a hole, motor off) Remove the chick and inspect the carbon paper and the shank of the chuck shaft. The places whare the carbon paper has transfered the carbon to the shaft are the high points between the chuck shaft and the drill presses shaft.

hope this helps.

arandall
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks Keith. I'll try it.
Cheers,
Art R.

Uncle Ed
11-21-2009, 02:20 PM
When I first saw this post I thought to meself, "What a silly question." until it dawned on me that you may have implied that you might possibly want to remove that chuck at some future time.

Good thing Keith posted first!

Ed

arandall
11-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Take a piece of carbon paper, cut it to wrap around the shank of the chick shaft. Place the shaft in the drill press and lock it in using the normal drill lever.(like you were driling a hole, motor off) Remove the chick and inspect the carbon paper and the shank of the chuck shaft. The places whare the carbon paper has transfered the carbon to the shaft are the high points between the chuck shaft and the drill presses shaft.

hope this helps.

Keith:
I took your advise with the carbon paper, and it helped a lot. The first time I did it, the carbon transferred nicely to the shank, and I took off the high spots, and put it back in the press along with more carbon paper for a second reading. This time it stuck in there really nicely - paper and all!! So I am just leaving it that way since the chuck seems to be running nice and true, and is seated quite far into the machine (I used really thin paper). If and/or when it falls out again, I'll remove the paper, and true it even better.
Thanks again,
Art R.