PDA
View Full Version :

TIG torch stand.

Gadget
11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I finally got around to making a stand for my TIG torch. No more sliding off the edge of the welding table.
Base is magnetic, the stand is .080 aluminum. I can provide dimensions for anyone who might like to make one.
Dan

KHK
11-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Good idea Dan. Your welds are looking much better. I have been so busy that I haven't touched my welder in a month. With all of the outside work compleated on Daughter #1, Daughter #2, and Son #1 houses maybe I can do some work at home!

Thanks for sharing

junes
11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
That looks good gadget. I personaly don't like those due to two major reasons. First is that over time it wears out the rubber on the torch. That leads to hf leakage which makes starting welds not so good anymore and can also shock you a bit. The second is that you are bound to trip over the lead pull the torch and break either the back cap or cups which can strip out the treads. But it looks good Dan. Your welds are getting better everytime I see them

Gadget
11-15-2009, 05:14 PM
I thought I would split a small hose and cover the edge with it. I'll have to be careful not to break off the back cap. I have already broken cups from having the torch slide off the table so I guess it is six of one and half a dozen of the other.

HerbD
11-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Nice design Gadget. I like the magnetic base idea too, easy to put it where you are working. could you post a drawing somewhere in the pictures files or wherever?

Thanks

HerbD 8)

Gadget
11-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice design Gadget. I like the magnetic base idea too, easy to put it where you are working. could you post a drawing somewhere in the pictures files or wherever?

Thanks

HerbD 8)

I lost my CAD program and am trying to learn some alternative. I will post a drawing as quickly as I can figure the new program out.
Or, I could do it on paper and copy it. Either way I will get something posted.

junes
11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
That rubber hose sounds like a half way decent solution. Try googles sketch it it's similar to cad and it's free

Gadget
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
That rubber hose sounds like a half way decent solution. Try googles sketch it it's similar to cad and it's free

I wouldn't have even considered the need for the hose if you hadn't pointed it out Matt, thanks for saving me future grief.
Dan

arandall
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice going Gadget. I wimped out and bought one very similar at Princess Auto.
And that hose idea sounds good to me too.

Cheers,
Art R.

Gadget
11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I caught a glimpse of one on a welding video and used that basic design to make mine. It's not my original idea. I'm not proud though, I'll use a good idea when I see one.
I looked for one at HF but they didn't have any.

vault
11-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice going Gadget. I wimped out and bought one very similar at Princess Auto.
And that hose idea sounds good to me too.

Cheers,
Art R.

are you in canada that you have a princess auto? I love that store for hydralics for my excavator.

arandall
11-16-2009, 12:41 AM
You bet. I do the same when appropriate.