PDA
View Full Version :

Weldall LS200PI practice welds.

Gadget
11-07-2009, 02:39 PM
I played with my welder today. I welded steel and aluminum butt welding them with no filler.
I tried a quick tack method to tie them together then just fused them. I'm happy with the results and am now not afraid to tackle an aluminum welding project if I get one.

First two photos are steel front and back, photo 3 and 4 are front and back of a piece of 080 aluminum. The last one is 1/8 AL to .080 with no filler.

matteh99
11-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Looks good. The steel looks like it may have been done a bit to hot. Is the top picture the side you welded from? If so it looks like the weld sunk in a bit. I have gotten that crease in the middle of the weld when I was welding a bit to hot. Other than that it looks like a good start to me.

Eric

Gadget
11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I ran both sides, the crease side was first and the metal wasn't perfectly straight. The metal filled in the crack a bit. I also think it was a bit hot. I had it set hot to do quick tacks and forgot to turn it down until I was ready to do the back side.

junes
11-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Gadget I would recomend using filler rod when ever possible. Also seems like you getting the hang of it just need to get a little steadier.

Gadget
11-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Matt,
I normally use filler but just wanted to try butt welding with no fill using a tack method I saw in a video. As for shaky hands, at my age I'm afraid they will only get worse.
Thanks all for the input, eventually it will all sink in.

junes
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Haha gadget the shaky hands are not realy a big deal I'm more talking about your rythm of adding filler. That's all. You will get the rythm down with time. I have thousands of hrs in welding aluminum and I am still perfecting little things so no worries.

Gadget
11-07-2009, 06:11 PM
This was a big confidence builder today. The AL welding is starting to feel more natural to me now. I have to start coming up with some personal projects.