PDA
View Full Version :

Looking to buy a 60I PC

TRex
10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I have done some research and am considering a 60I PC. I have also read several posts on other sites that have multiple issues with these PC's. A comparison thread even had the longevity entry without a manual or multiple ac cord adapters.

I tend to look at performance first then cost. I am not looking to be convinced just curious as to what those on this site feel concerning the issue. Any input?:roll:

Gadget
10-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forum TRex. I think any of the plasma cutters by Longevity would do a good job for you. I have the LC80 and love it. It isn't the IGBT technology but it is still a great cutter. I also have the LP200PI multifunction machine which has a 50 amp plasma cutter. That cutter performs extremely well for me.
Bottom line, I don't think you will be disappointed by any of the Longevity cutters. The biggest question is what size unit you should buy. (bigger is better)
Just so you know, I am not employed by Longevity. Just a very satisfied customer.
Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase decision.
Dan

ksmeggy
10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I have done some research and am considering a 60I PC. I have also read several posts on other sites that have multiple issues with these PC's. A comparison thread even had the longevity entry without a manual or multiple ac cord adapters.

I tend to look at performance first then cost. I am not looking to be convinced just curious as to what those on this site feel concerning the issue. Any input?:roll:

I bought mine used, and didn't get a manual. I didn't know there were issues with manuals until I came on this forum looking for one. But people here were very helpful, there are tutorials and some manuals posted on the forum, the manual thing turned out to be a complete non-issue for me.

My unit did come with a power cord (again, bought it used), I do understand Longevity's position with regards cords especially with the dual voltage (115/230). Just exactly what sort of plug should they put on it? I've seen people use anything from the proper Thomas & Betts twist-lock plugs that cost a fortune, $14 dryer cords and recycled extension cords on their welders. In fact, I've never had a used welder that came with the original power cord. If you're running several machines, as most of us are, you tend to wire up the new one with the same type of plug you have in your shop that everything else is running on. Maybe that's just me. I also have a (large!) lathe and a kiln running in my shop, so I've had to limit myself to 2 types of plugs and I've converted everything to those (both 230V, 50A, one with a neutral and one without).

The main issue I would worry about with something like a multi-function unit or anything running high-frequency, high-power, is warranty and service. If you can't afford to be without a machine for even a day, you're better off paying the big bucks and buying brand names from local suppliers. If the idea of packing your machine and sending it UPS to somewhere for a repair doesn't bother you, then go with Longevity or whoever you think has the best warranty and service reputation.

As for performance, I don't know of any issues with the Longevity units, they do exactly what their specs say they do. The specs are not manufacturer's specs, they're given by the distributor based on customer reports. If a machine is spec'd at cutting 1/2" mild steel, it will cut 1/2" but not 3/4" (yes, I learned that the hard way).

arandall
10-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Trex:

I have an LS200P multi-function unit that I am happy with. All three functions seem to work fine for me. - The manuals were an issue, but I see they have finally finished some new ones, ands they look really good - so that's been solved.
As far as service and warranty is concerned, a while ago I bought a Miller 180 Auto-Set, that went bad within a couple of weeks. - It took two months to get back from Miller. - I was not very happy. Longevity, on the other hand, delivered a new unit under warranty in about 2 weeks when I had a problem with my new machine.

Cheers,
Art R.