PDA
View Full Version :

Best Blasting Method For Copper

weldingtwopotatoes
10-13-2009, 02:24 AM
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I didn't know where else to put it.

I've been messing around with welding copper and I would like to make a copper towel rack. The welding part is fine but once I'm done, cleaning the copper is a pain. Does anyone know if one of the blasting medias will clean the copper but leave it shiny. I have tried glass and aluminum oxide (I already had these so I gave them a try) but they leave the copper with a dull finish. I figured maybe soda blasting might be the way but I don't want to go purchase more equipment just to find out that is doesn't do what I'm looking for. I appreciate any help.

torqueman
10-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I was hoping someone who had better ideas than me would give you an answer. I use walnut shell medium to clean up small brass and copper items in a vibrating cleaner. I'm not sure how it would work out of a sandblaster but it makes them very shiny out of the cleaner.

weldingtwopotatoes
10-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I posted the question on WW also and it appears as though blasting won't do what I'm looking for. So vibrating works well? Although it would be limited to small pieces. When vibrating copper does it create any pitting or is it completely smooth?

Gadget
10-15-2009, 05:48 AM
Vibrating or tumbling if the parts are small enough should give you a nice smooth finish.

junes
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
No matter what you do your going to have to polish it in order to get a shiny finish. Tumbling will give you a smooth dull finish then your going to have to polish to get it shiny

HerbD
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
And after you get it polished, consider powder coating the finished product with one of the clear powders to stop oxidation of the surface.

HerbD 8-)

weldingtwopotatoes
10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, it looks like there's going to be some polishing in my future. I was really hoping for an easier way but oh well. Sometimes there just aren’t any short cuts. I'm going to coat it but I was just going to use the spray can clear coat stuff. Powder coat would probably be much better and more durable but I don't have the equipment to powder coat.

junes
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Powder may not be the best bet it's really easy to overheat it and bubble it just stat away from that. If they do mess it up you will know it and will have to blast and polish the whe thing over so I would not recomend that at all. Just leave it natural or put a light coat of clear on it if anything. It will take a while to turn it green.