PDA
View Full Version :

Cutoff saw cart.

Gadget
09-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I started out making a stand for my cutoff saw with the thought of using all angle iron with casters at the bottom but when I moved the cutter to the new welding stand I decided to use the old cutter cart. I made an angle iron frame for the cutoff saw to set in and welded that frame to the stand. The stand was fairly thin steel so I wasn't sure if I could weld without blowing holes in the stand. I was pleased that I got it welded without any blow holes. I guess I am learning TIG at least a little bit.
Dan

junes
09-19-2009, 08:11 PM
On the first weld when you end make sure to make one last dab so you can fill that little crater if sorts. If you leave it as is the stresses could easilly build up and crack. It doesn't take much to do it either so make sure you dab before you cut off the arc. On the second one whe. You come to the end and stop then restart meld the bead in more so that it is more continuiois. Looking good tho gadget.

Gadget
09-19-2009, 08:14 PM
You know, it never occurred to me that the dimple could cause a crack. I will keep that in mind. Thanks again Junes for the good information.
Dan

junes
09-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Any time buddy

torqueman
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Looks good. How are you going to cook your hamburgers now? MAPS torch?

Gadget
09-20-2009, 04:26 PM
That was an old cast off I picked up at the curb. I used the aluminum housing as furnace fodder and repurposed the rest.

bhardy501
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Gadget, you should consider upgrading your chop saw to one of the Milwaukee carbide tooth saws. They are a little expensive but well worth it. Nice clean cuts and waste is chips instead of dust. Also no sparks flying everywhere. I have had mine and use the crap out of it. Havent had to change the blade yet. I cut a lot of steel tubing with mine.

BearNPum
09-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Nice repurpose. It even has handles to move it around.

BHardy, how does your saw do on stainless? Does it need coolant? Guess I will do a search and check it out.

torqueman
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Reuse Reduce Recycle. :)

Gadget
09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
BHardy,
I don't use the saw enough to justify the blade. I primarily use my 4x6 band saw. I only use the chop saw when the band saw has problems with harder metal.

bhardy501
09-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I build a lot of things for people out of square tubing. Lots of 1x1x1/8. Leaves a nice ready to weld edge. No big burrs to clean away.

BnP, I dont know about stainless. I have never tried to cut any with it. Solid bar stock would probably be better cut on a saw with coolant flow so it would not work harden. Tubing or pipe shouldnt be a problem. Cutting hollow stuff doesnt build that much heat. The thicker the wall the more heat it builds.

---------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 AM ----------

I have cut 1.5" steel bar stock with out any issues. Didnt get to hot.