PDA
View Full Version :

New projects with IGBT Weldpro LS200PI

Gadget
09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
I have been putting the new IGBT WeldPro LS200PI through it's paces this weekend and am very happy with the results.
I built a cart for my foundry furnace and mounted the blower to it as well. The blower is from an old Royal vacuum sweeper, I decided not to try and reinvent the wheel and used the Royal blower instead of building my own unit.
I also made two new crucibles out of 4" well pipe. The welds of the pouring lugs and hooks are shown below. I am starting to get some fairly good looking welds (at least to me). Overall I am very happy with the new unit. The cart was made with a mixture of TIG and stick welding, no weld photos of that though.

Gadget
09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
More photos

JJW
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Gadget,
Nice work.
You are making some good looking welds.
What are you going to cast up?
Regards,
John

Gadget
09-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Probably the first thing will be a contour fit plasma torch mount for my CNC table. Then a better mount for the router on the CNC. My unit will do routing and plasma cutting. I am also thinking of making aluminum tubing bender dies. The possibilities are endless.

junes
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
If you make the dies you could save tons of money. Can you remelt the mistakes?

henrym
09-07-2009, 07:54 PM
If you make the dies you could save tons of money. Can you remelt the mistakes?
probably. I saw a thread about a guy melting an old cast Al. engine to make bender dies :D

Gadget
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
You can reuse the metal as many times as you like Junes. Most of my metal is scrap al that I have melted into ingots. My mistakes just get remelted into something that works.
I have a set of plans for a super tubing bender but I think al dies would be easier than the method in the plans. Having a lathe, it will be a cinch to make lost foam die patterns.

torqueman
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Those welds are looking good. What happened to building a blower? :) I figured that would be a PITA. Fred sent me a link of some Africans using cement bags as a blower. Looked like a lot of work to me.

Gadget
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I found a nice aluminum blower in the form of a Royal vacuum that was easier than building one.

BearNPum
09-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Gadget, you have lots of fun and interesting hobbies. If I ditched my boat, I could play more with metal too!

junes
09-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't ditch the boat make stuff for it.

Gadget
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Gadget, you have lots of fun and interesting hobbies. If I ditched my boat, I could play more with metal too!

I bought a boat this summer, haven't had it in the water yet though. I plan on doing a lot of fishing when I retire next spring and will use it then.

jbman45
09-17-2009, 06:33 AM
done any pulse welding with your 200PI yet?? I've been doing some and it takes some getting used to but I have to agree it lets you weld thinner stock with less risk of burn thru and seems to work nicely. It's sort of strange with the pulsing as sometimes if your helmet is set just right(or wrong) the pulsing will cause it to change shades.

Junes or anyone, is it more common to use slow pulsing? or mid/high levels. Haven't tried any verticle up or overhead? Is that where pulsing would help as well.

Gadget
09-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I haven't done any pulse welding yet. I have only been welding some mild steel lately and haven't had the need. Perhaps this weekend.
Dan

junes
09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Well it depends on what I want to acomplish. Usually if I am welding aluminu
I want most of the heat to stay in the part still so inuse a slow pulse around .75 or so but if I am welding say .020 stainless then I want to crank it up to around 250 to 300 pps s to keep alot of the distortion to a minumum. If your using it to get a really nice aluminum bead or any other material use a slow but then you are going to use more amps at the begining until it catches up to you.

huck_this
09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
DON'T DITCH THE BOAT!!!! Boats are awesome!!!:twisted: I love my rig. Good way for me to unstress. DH biking unstresses me too!!!:twisted:8-)

BearNPum
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I do like the boat and boating, it has just sucked a bit of money from me lately, and I didn't even get out because of repairs and other business. Guess I am ready for next year, and do have a big crabbing trip coming up. With some family and friends, we head to the mouth of the Columbia once a year and slay the dungeness crab for a couple of days. Coming up mid October.

ksmeggy
10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Did you make or buy the propane (?) burner for that foundry? I've seen some plans online for a 'Mongo' burner, was thinking of trying one. I'm melting small things now in a coal-fired forge, but I'm thinking of building one of those.

Gadget
10-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I make my propane burners but what you see in the photos is a home built waste oil burner. The propane tank is actually a pressurized waste oil tank. My oil burner will fire without propane starter. Just throw an oily rag in the chamber and light it, then turn on the air and slowly start feeding oil. Works like a charm. There are a few videos on this forum showing the furnace being fired up.
Here is one of them;
http://www.longevity-inc.com/forum/general-chat-room/1156-improved-waste-oil-burner.html

vault
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I do like the boat and boating, it has just sucked a bit of money from me lately, and I didn't even get out because of repairs and other business. Guess I am ready for next year, and do have a big crabbing trip coming up. With some family and friends, we head to the mouth of the Columbia once a year and slay the dungeness crab for a couple of days. Coming up mid October.
I need to get a boat it drives me nuts watching people and hearing people crab in front of my house and I don't get any. right now the comercial or indian guy are out there.