PDA
View Full Version :

Where is your goto place for online metal?

BearNPum
08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Or do you just get it all locally?

I have tried onlinemetals, but am not really happy with their cut charge. They charge me about a $1.20 a stick for each 8'er of 1/4" rod I buy. Wow, I see the price has dropped more than half in the last 2 years. Shouldn't have stocked up back then!

Anyway, the cut charge is now 1/3 the price of the material. I figure if they have an 8' piece listed, then I shouldn't be paying to cut it. On the other hand, I think it may still be cheaper than some other places and cheaper than my local metals dealer.

matteh99
08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
For specialized stuff I get things from McMaster Carr. Their prices aren't always the best on metal but they ship quickly and if you need a specific type of metal they may have it.

Other than that I get most stuff locally. If it is just regular steel angle iron or channel I get it locally.

junes
08-29-2009, 08:32 PM
the reason you have to pay a cut charge is because they dont stock 8 foot lenghts they usually have more like 20 or so foot lengths. I try to buy from my local guy most of the time its usually cheaper and i get more for the price no shipping and they take care of me more. For really small stuff i will buy online.

BearNPum
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I guess I will just ignore the cut charge as long as they are still cheaper when all said and done with shipping.

jbman45
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
It of course depends a lot on the area but I have been lucky going to millwright shops, metal wholesale shops and others I can even find in yellow pages. One option is to find a large metal supply house and ask to see their scrap or surplus pile. Normally you have to take the pieces full as they are, i.e. uncut; but prices are great. You get some great deals on large pieces so I normally take a larger trailer when I go. I live in Houston so there are some large suppliers here, you may have to go to a near larger city to find the real wholesalers.

ksmeggy
10-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I always go through the scrap piles wherever I go. Still, when you need something specific, you have to pay. I did manage to get 40 lbs of D-2 tool steel today for $110, which is a good price I think, but I couldn't be too picky about the lengths of the pieces I got.

There's a place here in town (Montreal) called the "Metal Supermarket"; they'll quote you prices on the phone for standard stock sizes and cuts, but they won't tell you what they have in the scrap piles. You have to get dirty in the back picking through them to find what you need.

bhardy501
10-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I have bought a little on Ebay, but it was close enough that i could go pick it up so there was no shipping charge. I buy my new stock from a local supplier and there is a local scrap yard that sells it for around .20 - .40 per pound according to what it is. This is a good place to buy smaller stuff.

beetle
01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey fellow metal butchers. I'm new to this sight so I would like to put in my nickle (inflation) on metal procurement. I rarely pay for any metal. My buddies call me a scrounge but when they need something I see them in my pile. I pick up free metal any place I can find it. Sidewalks, Craigs list, free ads in the newspaper. I have a small place behind my garage where I keep a stash. When it gets out of hand I haul some to my local recycler. Sometimes I come home with money, other times I come back with a piece that me or one of my buddies need. People who know me even call me when they see something I might like. The point is if you have a small place to store it, pick up anything you can get for free. If you don't need it, get it anyway. You might be able to trade for something you need or make a buck at the recyclers. (Ex.this week when I get my new plasma cutter from longevity, I'm going to be cutting up a large water tank off a military truck. there will be some good stuff in there. The rest goes to recycling. Hello all & thanks for listening. B.Bailey

Gadget
01-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the forum B Bailey. I agree with your philosophy on scrounging metals. I always have my eyes open for metal cast offs. Free is always good.
Glad to see you on the forum, post some photos of your work when you get a chance. Also, please post an intro in the introduce yourself forum so the members can get to know you.
Dan

frijoli
01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I use these guys for my short or small pieces to machine. Excellent customer service!

Metal Express - Home (http://tinyurl.com/ygqckpz)

BearNPum
01-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Ouch, that won't work for me. They want $27+ for an 8' 1/4" 303 stainless rod. Same thing at on-line metals is $5.22.

frijoli
01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Ouch, that won't work for me. They want $27+ for an 8' 1/4" 303 stainless rod. Same thing at on-line metals is $5.22.

What vendor won't work for you?

Clay

Hamstn
01-16-2010, 05:56 AM
The big supplier around here will make one cut for free. The charge for a partial piece is a bit more per foot then a full stick, but for an expensive piece this is ok. Outside they have all the short pieces neatly sorted out on racks. 3' or less is by the pound and anything longer is by the foot. Not compared prices to know how much the savings is, need to do that next time and open an account as some places give accounts a better price. The scrap dealers are even cheaper, last time I paid $.25/lb, but they sure don't keep much on the lot anymore for very long. I remember the yard being stuffed full and most was sold for $.10/lb.. Back then I would visit two yards once every week or two during the winter and came home with some great deals. One time I found where a Cell tower company had replaced the cables. I carried a hack saw with me and so I cut the ends off, paid a few bucks for them, and looked up the price for new and they were $800/each. 5 gal bucket and a few tools made for a fun afternoon now and then.

Another source of good metal is farm sales. If the sale is close by I have hauled home old machines and cut them up for usable pieces of metal.

Got a bit off topic sorry

BearNPum
01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
What vendor won't work for you?

Clay

Metal Express that is.

To make it a little fairer (spread out the handling charge), lets say I want 20 - 8' - 303 stainless - 1/4" rods, and assume shipping cost will be similar from Online Metals, Metals Express, and McMaster Carr:

Metal Express: $331
Online Metals: $107
McMaster Carr: $191 (max length 6', but this is the price for the full 160' of material)

McMaster is getting close to 2X, and Metal Express is over 3X the cost.

frijoli
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Metal Express that is.

To make it a little fairer (spread out the handling charge), lets say I want 20 - 8' - 303 stainless - 1/4" rods, and assume shipping cost will be similar from Online Metals, Metals Express, and McMaster Carr:

Metal Express: $331
Online Metals: $107
McMaster Carr: $191 (max length 6', but this is the price for the full 160' of material)

McMaster is getting close to 2X, and Metal Express is over 3X the cost.

That's odd. I have never found them to be more than McMaster Carr. I wonder if they have changed hands? I'll have to check out Online Metals.

Clay

PS. I didn't see 303 on the online metals site, but they were cheapest on 304, metals express was second, the Mcmaster, and metal depot was highest. Online metals is now Bookmarked!!!

Good thread!

BearNPum
01-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Here's where i picked up the 303 price from online metals - http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=2013&step=4&id=8&top_cat=1 (http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=2013&step=4&id=8&top_cat=1) .

Bluesman
02-18-2010, 09:49 PM
What about diamond plate aluminum like you would make tool boxes out of? Where would you be able to find that? I checked that Online Metals and all I could find there was a wavy type pattern. I was looking for a true diamond plate pattern (that may not be what it is called everywhere but that is what it is called here so it I'm not being clear I appologize for my ignorance).

KHK
02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I have never heard a term used other than diamond plate.
Try this link www.diamondlifegear.com/diamondpiece.htm (http://www.diamondlifegear.com/diamondpiece.htm)

Bluesman
02-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I have never heard a term used other than diamond plate.
Try this link www.diamondlifegear.com (http://www.diamondlifegear.com/diamondpiece.htm)/diamondpiece.htm
That will do it. Thanks.

Kiwimike
02-19-2010, 08:33 PM
In New Zealand it is called Chequer (Checker) Plate. I've heard it called Tread Plate as well.

Makethegun
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Beetle, I have done the same. Tends to clutter though, so I try to use it for whatever. It's easy to get sentimental about pieces and never use them because you save them for the perfect project.

stomper4x4
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I have placed a few orders of tubing from these guys, did everything online with no hassle at all.
http://www.metalsdepot.com/ (http://www.metalsdepot.com/)

SICFabrications
08-15-2010, 03:17 PM
i buy metal locally. i call em in the a.m. and the metal is sittin at my doorstep the next a.m. at no extra charge. for anything special, like ball n claw or other stuff, i go to king architectural metals out of texas. they are fair in price, considering

gilly
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I go to a local place.They always have what I need,but I have to buy at least $40 worth every time I go,because they have a minimum.So sometimes I do pick up scrap metal where I see it.

weldingtwopotatoes
08-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I always get my metal locally as the online places can't compete once you factor in the shipping fees, onlinemetals.com is nice to use as a reference though but I've never ordered from them. As a side note has anyone else noticed that over the past month or so that onlinemetals.com has viruses on it? When I go there my virus scanner goes nuts telling me that the site is full of viruses once the DNS sever that I use prompted me that the site was unsafe before transferring me there. It's really strange considering online metals is one of the larger online suppliers of metal.

oneeyedmac
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I've used onlinemetals.com and they've always shipped quick.

blackdog76
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
I do a little of everything. I raid my local steel yard for scrap. Not the recycler (they rip me off). Buy some on ebay, and buy some from metalsupermarket if I can't find it anywhere else.