PDA
View Full Version :

Cash for Clunkers.

KHK
08-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I do not own any clunkers but like the cash. I would buy a MIG welder!!!!

matteh99
08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Well we could start a racing series like the LeMons 500.

The 24 Hours of LeMons (http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/)

Heck with just scraping them. Beat the heck out of them in a silly entertaining race and then scrap them. Free seasons tickets to any one who didn't trade in a car.

KHK
08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
The clunkers will have there motors siezed by pouring some sort of fluid in the oil. Some parte will be sold, Front end, doors etc, and the rest is scrap!! Once again we pay for someone elses ride.

torqueman
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know I see this one as a complete success. It stimulated the economy (here in Michigan that is a big thing) and it got some old inefficient cars off the road. The biggest reason I think it was a win is because both sides are complaining about it.

The worst possible legislation comes about when both sides agree. When that happens look out because the middle class is getting screwed.

junes
08-15-2009, 06:37 PM
wat is not goin to work is the government owning a big part of the auto industry. now how does that make sense?

torqueman
08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Right now you and I give the insurance companies (who are grossly profitable) $60B each year and have been for many years. How is that OK?

Do you know every other nation subsidizes their auto industry? How can US automakers compete with Japan when they pump billions into their industry and we don't?

We got out of the Great Depression in part because of WWII. It does not matter if we are making tanks or cars, the government pumping money into the economy works. There are legitimate concerns on how we are going to pay for such things but doing nothing is not an option. That is what Hoover did and drove a minor dip in the economy to the Great Depression.

Also worth noting is the government owns different business all the time. Did you know that you and I and every other taxpayer owned a brothel in Nevada called the Mustang Ranch for a year and a half before it could be sold for back taxes? A IRS representative ran the business during that time. The government has been doing this kind of thing for 70+ years and the sky had not fallen. Even Reagan bailed out Chrysler at one time and that turned out OK.

Let's not pretend that the government is not involved in business. Our taxes subsidize business every day even before the bottom fell out. For crying out loud the companies that make the largest profits in history the oil industry receives $4B each year in tax payer dollars. There is only an illusion of a free market.

Follow the money. You will be able to tell real quickly why one party supports the auto industry and the other party supports the oil and health care industry. Let's at least recognize where their loyalties lie so we can sort out the BS in the debate on all these political topics.