PDA
View Full Version :

TIG Pen

matteh99
07-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey,

I found this "TIG pen" and I thought it was interesting. Any one used one?

https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:OR:TPYL (https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:OR:TPYL)

I may buy one to try. I have trouble feeding the filler rod smoothly. I can do it but I can't keep a smooth rhythm and feed the rod. I suppose I could spend years practicing but some times cheating is easier.

Eric

Gadget
07-28-2009, 06:48 AM
That looks pretty handy Eric, I may have to try one myself. It would also keep any oils from your hand off the filler rod which may improve the weld.
Dan

matteh99
07-28-2009, 07:28 AM
I am going to order one. I read some other stuff about it online and most people seemed to like it. Especially for thin rods that tend to wobble more than the larger ones. I will let people know how well it works.

Eric

KHK
07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Looks like a good idea.
"While supplys last" may prompt you to order a cople of them.

matteh99
07-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Keith,
I am starting off with one I would hate to have several of them if they don't work well. Maybe if I like the one I do get I will buy a few more. Of course if everyone here buys one then that plan might not work out so well.

Eric

bhardy501
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
I dont know, you know how most of the "next best thing" items are. I would be warry of it working out just like they advertise it. You know, like all the golf items gauranteed to take 2-5 swings off your game. I should be kicking Tiger's butt by now. LOL.

matteh99
07-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I am sure the company's explanation on why you aren't kicking Tiger's butt is that he uses the same products :)

I searched the net a bit and found post on a Miller forum saying the person liked it. I will be the guinea pig for Longevity owners. :) My order has shipped so it is to late to get my money back now.

Eric

arandall
07-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Eric:

Thanks for being the guinea pig. I am really interested in your opinion on this thing.

Cheers,
Art R.

bhardy501
07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe it will work well, I would be interested in seeing how it works. I am just warry of new things that make life easier. I have found they normally complicate things more than help. Good luck and keep us posted.
Oh yeah, I quit Tiger hunting long ago, LOL :)

matteh99
07-30-2009, 02:21 PM
True. But without the little improvements we would still be living in caves eating raw meat. There are some really cool tools out there but there are also a bunch of sales men trying to convince people that their tool will fix the world. Cough *shamwow* Cough

Eric

matteh99
08-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I received the TIG Pen thing in the mail a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to get over to the shop and try it out. I did try feeding some welding rods through it without actually welding. It seems pretty well made. It is basically just an aluminum tube with some rollers. The only concern I have is the main feed and roller parts have o-rings as critical parts that don't look like they would be easy to replace. I hope that they last. I have seen the TIG Pen branded for ESAB and a few other companies. The one I got is just plain unfinished aluminum. I will post how well it works after I actually weld with it.

matteh99
08-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I tried the TIG pen today and it works well. I was able to feed the filler easier than by hand. The only problem I ran into is the pen is round without much to tell you how it is rotated. Some times it would get turned and I could no longer feed the filler with the roller thing. I will try to post some pictures of how the pen works. I have been practicing feed the filler rod when I am just sitting around. So I have gotten a lot better and feeding the filler since I started welding.

Overall I think the TIG pen will help if you have trouble feeding the filler rod. If you are already pretty good at it I don't think it will help much. The only advantage then is you can use the filler rod right down to the last little nub.

Eric

junes
09-06-2009, 08:17 PM
What diameter wires does it feed? I use .015 all the way up to 5/32 rod. Does it matter if I am a lefty. I do weld righty too but only when I have to. I wonder if it can melt at the high amps. Never the less looks like a great tool to help start tig welding.

matteh99
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
The specs say .04 to 1/8. It doesn't matter what hand you use it with. The 1/8th inch rods do have some extra space but I don't think you could fit in a 5/32 rod. Since it is aluminum and you hold it in your hand I would say it would get to hot to hold before it would melt. :)

junes
09-06-2009, 09:03 PM
its really interesting and seems like it is worth the money. i am stuborn and stingy so i wont be getting one right now. Good find tho. I remember reading about these about 3 years ago somewhere but it was aluminum and was a little crude but it was the prototype. Hows the welding going?

matteh99
09-08-2009, 07:06 AM
I am defiantly getting better at welding. The tank was an interesting time capsule I could see my old welds next to my newer ones. I still have some trouble keeping a consistent bead going around something. Like the petcock or gas cap bungs. They didn't leak or have pits or bubbles in them but they aren't as consistent as they could be.

compair the weld around the gas filler to the ones next to it. They were some of my first TIG welds and the one around the filler was one of my most recent ones.

The TIG pen I have does seem a bit like a prototype. It is bare aluminum not anodized or painted but it works fine. If I remember I will get some pictures of how it works next time I am at the shop.

Eric

Gadget
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM
You can definitely see an improvement in the welds. Nice work.

matteh99
09-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I could do a infomercial for the TIG pen. Complete with before and after pictures and scene of me, mad, fumbling with the filler rod and a scene of me happy and using the TIG pen. Of course I need to be dressed like a bum when I am not using the TIG pen and all suited up like a pro welder when I am using it. :)

Not that the TIG pen really helped that much. It helped the most with long welds where I needed to put in a lot of filler consistently. I still can't feed the thin filler rod by hand without it wobbling and causing trouble.

junes
09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Matteh99
your welds are definately getting better. Just keep racking up your arc time. I must have at least 10 thousand hrs in just tig welding alone. Your only going to get better and you get to a point and your probally bout there where you just start to advance at an amazin pace. Good job and keep up the good work buddy and keep posting pictures of your work.

itsmecord
11-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Good to see you are steadily advancing with your welds...I seem to have hit a road block with welding in general....Maybe my turkey/pumpkin pie belly ?

Bikespot
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I have seen those before.

Any videos of one around?

matteh99
12-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I can make a video if you really want one. What do you mainly Tig weld?

Is there any thing that you specifically want to see?

Eric

SICFabrications
11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7852 <----- this is what i use for those LOOOOOOOOOOOONG welds..... especially the 14 foot ones for hoods in the power plants

Gadget
11-09-2010, 08:52 PM
You get all the cool toys Stan.

SICFabrications
11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
i had to buy all the cool toys...lol....

matteh99
11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
It is only a thousand dollars or so more expense than the tig pen. I should have gotten one of those instead. :)

ISKI
12-05-2010, 06:01 PM
The hand operated TIG pen is nice, but the power feed TIG pen, now were talking;)

matteh99
12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
The hand operated TIG pen is nice, but the power feed TIG pen, now were talking;)

Yeah that way you can use all four limbs. Filler in one hand, torch in the other and power control with one foot, wire feed speed with the other.

Eric

Tritium
05-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I know this is an old thread but how about modifying an old cheapo HF mig for a tig power wire feeder. You might even make some kind of Hot Wire Tig out of one properly married to a tig welder. I love to re-purpose equipment.

Thurmond

WookieWelding
05-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I know this is an old thread but how about modifying an old cheapo HF mig for a tig power wire feeder. You might even make some kind of Hot Wire Tig out of one properly married to a tig welder. I love to re-purpose equipment.

Thurmond the HF feed mechanism is garbage and not consistent i would think you would be cussing at it more time then welding

Tritium
05-16-2011, 09:46 PM
the HF feed mechanism is garbage and not consistent i would think you would be cussing at it more time then welding

Well there is this assembly available on Fee-Bay :

Dutton & Kitchens Wire Feeder Gear Box 20/120 Volt DC | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dutton-Kitchens-Wire-Feeder-Gear-Box-20-120-Volt-DC-/220780304128?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D 220773972663%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D92056200641618811 25)

Thurmond

tigqk
05-17-2011, 01:05 AM
The problem with using a feeder described is if you break it and don't have a spare you become dependant on the item, other than that it is fine.

Tritium
05-17-2011, 08:06 AM
At $5 and multiple ones available a spare doesn't seem like much of an issue plus there is always the tried and true hand feed method. :)

Thurmond

rustycase
05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Interesting there is not much attention on those D & K feeders... I'm not a mig guy, but I've seen where there are a bunch of guys having fun with modding the HF units so they get some kind of reliable performance out of em.

I'll need to go look at that feeder again, to see what it really is... if it is something that can be adapted...

MIG sure beats the heck outta TIG for speed!

...Lol... the problem with using ANY tool is that you become reliant upon it! Lol

Anyhow, I like just abt anything that leans towards thinking outside the box.

Best
rc

tigqk
05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
The tig feeder looks like a good option if you have a high skillset with tig, said to spped up tig by five times, what I wonder though is how do you trigger the feed,because whatever it is you are welding you have an intial preheat of the base metal, right, is their a thumb switch or another foot switch for the right foot, (I'm left footed).lol...or is their a time delay from start up as part of your weld sequence?

SICFabrications
05-21-2011, 08:18 AM
the cold feeder that i have has a switch and reastat built into the handle (kinda like the lil slide switch that i tig torch has to replace the pedal) for on/ off and speed.... so, yeah, running the pedal for the tig, manipulating the torch for puddle control, dipping the filler and operating the controls for the cold feed, it gets a lil hairy at first til you get used to it.... every time i use it, i have a learning curve to overcome for a few minutes....