PDA
View Full Version :

Horizontal Gas Forge

torqueman
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
This project is nearly complete. I fired the forge up for the first time tonight.
http://www.motorcycletouring.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/forge/forge1.jpg

A peek inside the dragons mouth.

http://www.motorcycletouring.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/forge/forge2.jpg

The propane feeds into dual burners that can be independently shut off.

http://www.motorcycletouring.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/forge/forge3.jpg

I believe it is pretty much up to full temp at this point.

http://www.motorcycletouring.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/forge/forge4.jpg

One last shot. It is getting late so details of the build will have to wait until tomorrow.

http://www.motorcycletouring.net/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/forge/forge5.jpg

Gadget
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Nice job GS. wonder what would happen if you used a blower in the air inlets.
Now time for some hammering. (wear ear plugs)
Dan

KHK
07-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Looks great! Nice job!
Any idea on the temp?

LONGEVITY
07-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Very nice forge, thanks for sharing!

torqueman
07-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys. I need one of those fancy IR thermometers to tell the temp but in theory it should be a little over 2000 F. Hopefully hot enough to do some forge welding. Here is a quick rundown of the build.

The shell is made from 16 gauge that I bought as a drop. Gadget introduced me to Steve who owns a sheet metal shop. Steve did me the favor of rolling the cut sheet I bought him into a cylinder that was about 10 inch dia. Once I got it home I used the MIG to weld the seam. The rear plate was also welded into place with a back opening for passing though longer materials. The plan was a 2 inch opening but it ended up 1.5 inches because the firebricks I put in the bottom were a little bigger than I thought they would be. The front door was cut to size then a one inch strip of 16 gauge welded to the edge to hold the refractory. The very last thing was to add the legs and cut the holes for the burner holders.

A quick note on sizing. Mine is 10x18. If you go 10 inches by 10 or 12 inches you can get by with a single burner and save some money.

After the shell was finished I painted it with some engine paint. Next I added the refractory. I started by placing the firebricks in the bottom. If you have never seen these soft firebricks they are almost like Styrofoam so the bottom is easy to shap to the curve of the shell. Next I cut some inswool to cover the sides. If you have never seen inswool it is like a dense heavy cotton blanket. A word of warning here. Inswool is an irrantant. I am not really bothered much by insulation but this stuff is annoying. Wear long sleeves and don't say I didn't tell you so. :lol: Also buy the one inch inswool and use two layers. This stuff is kind of stiff and the two inch stuff is hard to work with.

You have to seal the inswool before using it. If inswool is not sealed it will creates silicates when it gets above 1600 F. Breathing this would not be good. Many guys say the danger is overstated but better safe than sorry. So to seal the Inswool I used Satanite. This is a refractory mortar that smells pretty bad. Mix it to a consistency of sour cream and use a paint brush to apply. I let it dry over night then to cure it I fire up the forge for just a few seconds and let it cool down. I do this 4 or 5 times leaving it on a little longer each time. The final time I bring it up to full temperature. You want to put two or three coats of Satanite on using the same technique each time.

Lastly a coat of ITC-100. It must be made of gold for the price they get for it but that is supposed to give you the best results.

All in all this forge cost just under $400. The same size one from Chiliforge is the Cayenne and it's cost is $790. :wink:

Gadget
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the knives you are going to hammer out. Very nice job on the build and project description.
Dan

bhardy501
07-28-2009, 07:27 PM
What is the Propane use rate on this forge. Looks like it would eat up a small cylinder in no time.

torqueman
07-29-2009, 06:45 PM
From what I am told it will last anywhere between 4 to 7 hours on a 20 lb tank. To be honest I am not as young as I used to be so I doubt I will be able to bang on metal for more than an hour or so at a time.

Also once up to temp one burner can be shut down between heating the metal.

I can't say I am not concerned about propane cost but I priced out blacksmith coal and it is a lot more costly than one would think. And if you buy the stuff that is all ready coke is cost even more.

KHK
07-29-2009, 09:40 PM
You have given us a Great explanation of the assembly.....THANKS!!

torqueman
07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Keith. One thing I will say is with a 20 lb propane tank it does use propane quick enough to cool down the tank. I'm thinking if I put it in a tub of water it will keep my beer cold. :)

Still the real positive side of propane over coal is it heats up in 3 or 4 minutes.

Gadget
07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Did you do another burn tonight TM?

arandall
07-30-2009, 08:42 PM
[quote=torqueman;8215]Thanks Keith. One thing I will say is with a 20 lb propane tank it does use propane quick enough to cool down the tank. I'm thinking if I put it in a tub of water it will keep my beer cold. :)

Now that's thinking outside the box!!

Art R.

torqueman
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Well I am a real tree hugger so anything to save energy for my welder. LOL

matteh99
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
It could also be an insensitive to keep working. If you quit too early you would have warm beer to drink. So the harder you work the colder your beer. If only every thing in life worked that way...